• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Anyone know a trustworthy tire repair shop near Severna Park?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    pick any place that sells tires.

You would think so. I have been overcharged by some garages in this area, and one screwed up my Honda worse. Took $800 and more wasted time to get the job done correctly. The place I use has changed management and the reviews are in the toilet. :sad20:

Getting quality work done should not be this much hassle. I would use Costco, but they only do tires they sold.

Dec 31, 2012
    You would think so. I have been overcharged by some garages in this area, and one screwed up my Honda worse. Took $800 and more wasted time to get the job done correctly. The place I use has changed management and the reviews are in the toilet. :sad20:

Getting quality work done should not be this much hassle. I would use Costco, but they only do tires they sold.

How does a tire patch job turn into an $800 expense?????

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I had a tire repaired once. It failed after three months. I don't see the point of risking my life on a tire repair. I changed to the spare in a Catholic church parking lot. Then I bought a new tire. This is Maryland, not the Midwest.

~G

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    $10 kit @ Walmart

I bought one of these years ago and it has saved me several times. In fact, this reminded me to get some new plugs for it. If you don't feel like screwing with it yourself, I would just hit Sears at Marley or any of the car dealers around there.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    try to get a patch, not a plug. Used to deal with both and patch is more work but better in the long term. Call and ask around, sorry, not much help with a location.

Mattjtowne

NRA Life supporter
    Feb 10, 2013
    Any quality shop will be using a patch/plug style now. Best of both worlds and done correctly will hold the life of the tire. Average price should be $20.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Gillette tires distributors inc in Glen Burnie. Small business but superb work. Had a patch/plug done 3 years ago and had no problems. I think it cost me $20. Also had them mount tires on my OZ racing wheels. Not a single mark from tire installation and balancing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    How does a tire patch job turn into an $800 expense?????

Just an example of bad work when I had my timing belt replaced on my Civic.

For a tire repair, I see, tire - $150, alloy wheel $200, tire pressure sensor - $40, accident from blowout - ???.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Just an example of bad work when I had my timing belt replaced on my Civic.

For a tire repair, I see, tire - $150, alloy wheel $200, tire pressure sensor - $40, accident from blowout - ???.

I'm confused. If you're asking about a tire repair, I think we took that to mean that you have a hole that needs to be patched and/or plugged. Even if you go the patch route (recommended), that's a quick $20-35 around here for dismount, patch, and a quick mount/balance.

If you're replacing a tire (just one?), a wheel (?!), a TPMS sensor, and asking about damage from whatever accident necessitated the replacement of the wheel (are you sure your arms aren't bent? Maybe a new axle and CV boot are in order?)... well, that's not exactly "tire repair" anymore, is it?

-Rob

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    All tire manufacturers recommend using a patch inside the tire and not to use a plug alone. The patch is a better quality, more reliable repair, no question. But, if you typically wear out tires in 2 or 3 years, a plug alone will usually easily last that long. Every once in a while a plug won't hold, and some tire dealers won't give you warranty on a tire that has a plug-only repair, so that's something to keep in mind too.

Personally, I plug tires myself, probably a dozen or 2 over the last 40 years, and only recall one that failed before the tire wore out.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I had a screw in the tire. I had a place in Millersville put in an internal patch / plug (it is both) for $20. So far so good. Some places were quoting as high as $45.

Since the tire had to come off the wheel, I was concerned what a hack job could result in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom