• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I want to pick up a new pump shotgun. I am torn between a Benelli SuperNova, Mossberg 590, and Remington 870. I want it to be reliable and moderately priced. Trap, skeet, and bird hunting are my main goals. Please don't brag about your pump shotgun that costs over $1000. I am not in that market.

I want to buy new, and I am concerned about the recent Remington recalls, and talk of quality issues the last few years. A mint condition older 870 might be an option.

I am leaning towards the SuperNova, since the recoil absorbing system will help the young shooters I teach.

Thoughts?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I have the SuperNova and 500. SuperNova is way nicer is every way, except I prefer the 500's tang safety. The 590 is overkill for hunting and sporting use, IMO. I've also used plenty of 870's and like all but the cheap ones. Hopefully you mean a Wingmaster and not the Express. To me, the Wingmaster and SuperNova compare about the same in quality and function, with the Wingmaster being pretty and the SuperNova having a pure-business look.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I prefer vintage pumps like the Winchester Model 12,if I was to buy a new pump today for clays and hunting it would be a Browning BPS.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    My vote is for older mint 870 or Benelli. Sure the Super Nova isn't the most expensive in the line, but I think the world of their guns.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Remburgelli.

I have owned Remingtons and Mossbergs, and prefer the Mossberg overall. I had thought about the new Winchester SPX, as Buds has a combo barrel set, but they also have older Winchester 1300 Defenders, 8 shot on Gunbroker a lot, which I was looking at.

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Supernova definately. Much nicer than the others. I loved mine, but traded it for a M2. It is built well and felt recoil is significantly less. On the down side it is a bit heavy and the grip groves on the pump hurt my hands anfter 75-100 shells.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Okay, I was leaning towards the SuperNova because of the recoil system. The 870 Wingmaster seems a far sight better than the Express. I can't find a SuperNova in stock anywhere though. Sigh.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I swear this could not be worse timing. I just got home from visiting the "dreaded" Chesapeake Guns and ran into a guy that I just met this weekend at AAFG in a training class. We talked about his decision to buy either a Benelli Supernova or a Benelli Auto. He walked out the door with the Supernova.

By the way, I just wanted to check out their reloading stuff even though I said that I would not go there again. This time the father was there and he was a nice guy. I will give them another chance.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I have had Super Nova's jam on me bird hunting, I prefer an 870 with the new super cell recoil pad personally with a 28" vent rib barrel.

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Okay, I was leaning towards the SuperNova because of the recoil system. The 870 Wingmaster seems a far sight better than the Express. I can't find a SuperNova in stock anywhere though. Sigh.

There are a bunch of new ones on gunbroker. Usually tax vs ffl fees are about a wash.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I can't find a SuperNova in stock anywhere though. Sigh.

They are very popular. You're not likely to find one sitting around in dealer or distributor inventory. Your local Benelli dealer can order them direct. Expect quoted wait time right now to be 60 to 90 days. More than likely, your dealer will receive it about 30 to 40 days after placing the order, especially if you order black with a 28" barrel. It's worth the wait if you don't want to risk buying one online sight unseen and doing a transfer.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I love my ole fashioned cheap mossberg 500. It has never once failed in any way and it has the most convenient safety out of any shotgun. You don't realize how nice it is to have an easily accessbile safety when your crammed in a lay down blind unable to move with a flock of birds coming in.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've owned 500's and they are nice guns. But I have a mint 1979 870 Wingmaster and it is head and shoulders above the 500's and todays junk 870's. As much as I love that gun contemplating selling it to get a break open.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

PSA has Supernovas in stock ...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...12ga-black-synthetic-stock-shotgun-20105.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/supernova-28-12ga-max-4-12ga-28-20115.html

Add a little 22LR to your order ...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/cci-standard-velocity-22-lr-50rds-0035.html

And use the "10OFF" coupon code during checkout to get 10% off the entire order. :innocent0

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    Gander Mt in York PA is not all that far. last time i was there they had a good selection of Pumps...but you have to know your prices, some there better then other and some are not? their Dick's sporting goods seem to have more then ours down this way also.. just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom