• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Some one on another forum has pointed out that the AR556 has a non standard gas block. Quote:

"the Ruger gas block has the pins on the top and not the bottom. If you want a different gas block, then you will need to have the services of a gunsmith, which kind of kills the great price."
    If you'd like a low profile gas block, and you're capable of changing out gas blocks. You should be able to remove the Ruger design. Chop-off the front sight and reinstall.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    I have several Ruger AR556 rifles in stock at the Texas Store. I have sent an email to MSP and I will post as soon as I know if we can sell these in MD. They are a good looking rifle and they have a great price point.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd speculate that the lowers and upper receivers are probably done off-site and just get the Ruger rollmark - much like a fair amount of other manufacturers of AR's.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I'd speculate that the lowers and upper receivers are probably done off-site and just get the Ruger rollmark - much like a fair amount of other manufacturers of AR's.

All major components are produced in house. I would imagine that means lowers, uppers, barrels, and bolts. I could definitely see the furniture being produced off-site.

http://www.ruger.com/news/2014-09-29.html

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/09/ruger-introduces-the-ar-556-modern-sporting-rifle/

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Some one on another forum has pointed out that the AR556 has a non standard gas block. Quote:

"the Ruger gas block has the pins on the top and not the bottom. If you want a different gas block, then you will need to have the services of a gunsmith, which kind of kills the great price."

What ever in the world would possess the designer to wanna deviate like that?!? To me, that lessens the value of the rifle, especially the long-term value.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I'm not a professional, but every sight I've taken off, changed out, is pinned on the bottom.

I don't trust myself and my el cheapo drill press to drill holes on the bottom of my Ruger AR15 rifle's barrel to pin on a standard part. Certainly wouldn't want to use one of those parts that just bolts on.

Assuming one does not possess the tools and skill to accomplish that, the options left as I see it are:

1) Find compatible part(s) for the barrel (pins on the top)
    2) Hire someone possessing tools and experience to work around difference
    3) Replace more parts than necessary to be standard, e.g. barrel, extension, sight/block, gas tube, and still possibly want #2 if you don't have the gauges to check headspace after barrel install.

The loss of value in my opinion is in flexibility during ownership. That's what I meant by long-term. Anyone it is sold afterwards would probably benefit from one having gone through 1-3 above already.

It's a nice price point though.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ruger pinning on the top is actually quite genius. If you replace the gas block with one you want pinned, you just drill a fresh new hole.

If the gas block was pinned like a standard fsb then you would have to plug and lathe the pin in order to get meat to pin the replacement.

With this setup a low profile gas block is easier to install and pin. This assumes the gas port is in the same place as a standard AR.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Ruger pinning on the top is actually quite genius. If you replace the gas block with one you want pinned, you just drill a fresh new hole.

If the gas block was pinned like a standard fsb then you would have to plug and lathe the pin in order to get meat to pin the replacement.

With this setup a low profile gas block is easier to install and pin. This assumes the gas port is in the same place as a standard AR.

Exactly. Most people would only change the gas block to install a low profile gas block. Ruger made the upgrade easier.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Dammit dammit dammit I so want one.

Come on Gun Connection! Hopefully a response from MSP comes shortly. Its about time for another gun crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom