• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Just got my first coyote and want to get the hide tanned for a wall mount. Who's a good person to go to close to the Lisbon area?

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    I have used Jason Poole (Poole's Taxidermy) in Taylorsville for a deer and squirrel and was pleased with his work. He's reasonably priced and just north of Mt Airy off of route 26 which is spitting distance from Howard County.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Also just curious--What time of day did you take it and how?
    Trapped it about 8am. Was on the other side of the farm when it hit it about 8am (watched the deer near there bolt). By the time I got over it had tried to squeeze under the fence (2in gap) and did the dirty work for me. The upside is no damage to the body that I could find.

If driving doesn't bother you, there is me.
    You were the first person I thought of, then I remembered you moved. Its hard for me to get over there bc of fam and work issues otherwise you'd have it.

I have used Jason Poole (Poole's Taxidermy) in Taylorsville for a deer and squirrel and was pleased with his work. He's reasonably priced and just north of Mt Airy off of route 26 which is spitting distance from Howard County.
    Ty. Found somebody else out that way, but will keep him on my list.

Working on getting pics up to share. Pretty little female around 40-50lbs.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    1415034929798.jpg

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Just got my hide and skull back today! Really like how it turned out. I've been thinging about how to display it and I think I'm going to make a kite frame to keep it spread out then have a shelf under it with the skull and a trap.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    Turned out real nice. Who did you use? I've seen them around, but haven't had. Chance to shoot one yet. The first time I saw one was a good distance away while in my climber. I thought it was a dog at first until I noticed it's gate while moving thru the woods which wasn't like a dog at all. I've also seen more of there scat around which has been full of deer hair.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Nature's Best in Mt Airy. Ended up finding him through the yellow pages. From the pics on his site and the items in his workshop, he does really nice work on full mounts. Had a beautiful black bearskin rug hanging on the ceiling waiting for pickup.
    Kill any you see. Had them kill a calf last week. Mom had it hid too close to the tree line along the stream through the farm.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Turned out real nice. Who did you use? I've seen them around, but haven't had. Chance to shoot one yet. The first time I saw one was a good distance away while in my climber. I thought it was a dog at first until I noticed it's gate while moving thru the woods which wasn't like a dog at all. I've also seen more of there scat around which has been full of deer hair.

I have seen them at a farm off of Folly Quarter. Shocked the poop out of me and almost hit the sucker with my car as it ran across the drive from one cornfield to another. If I was driving my truck, I might have hit the accelerator instead of the brake pedal. Maybe not though, because initially I thought it was a German Shephard. Then, I asked the resident at the farm if there were coyotes there and he said there were plenty. Now, I don't let my 2 year old get too far away from me while outside. Doesn't help that I have seen an eagle in the Lisbon/Woodbine area either. Saw an immature one over the winter and saw a full adult just last week at the I-70/route 97 intersection. I've even seen turkeys in western Howard County. How things change. When I see a black bear ...... Now, wolf or grizzly and I really poop my pants.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I gotta say, I'm shocked at the diversity as well. I never thought the development reforestation areas would have such a huge positive effect on the wildlife. I live close to where you saw the eagle. Haven't seen it yet myself, but does not surpise me. The amount and variety of wildlife in the square mile around that interchange is insane. Saw my first live wild mink just before dusk when I was walking the dog. Had one get hit next to the farm last year. Was so big I thought it was a fisher. About 25 years ago (god I feel old) there were beaver building a dam by the park and ride at 144 and 97. We went and got video of them on my grandfather's camcorder before the county/state wiped them out.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I gotta say, I'm shocked at the diversity as well. I never thought the development reforestation areas would have such a huge positive effect on the wildlife. I live close to where you saw the eagle. Haven't seen it yet myself, but does not surpise me. The amount and variety of wildlife in the square mile around that interchange is insane. Saw my first live wild mink just before dusk when I was walking the dog. Had one get hit next to the farm last year. Was so big I thought it was a fisher. About 25 years ago (god I feel old) there were beaver building a dam by the park and ride at 144 and 97. We went and got video of them on my grandfather's camcorder before the county/state wiped them out.

I've been hunting on a farm over by that intersection since 1985. A creek runs through the farm and we saw some evidence of beaver on trees. I have seen several farms in western Howard County go the way of the dodo. Kind of sucks. However, it is refreshing to see that the wildlife is in abundance.

On another note, there was a recent case, maybe a year old, where one of the Mullinix's were trying to get a property of theirs out of Farmland Forever, and they were trying to only pay back the amount of money they were given, without interest. Any idea how that case went? My dad asked me about it the other day and I did not have the answer. If they could get out of Farmland Forever just by paying back what they were given, without interest, etc., then it would be a no-brainer for most people in Farmland Forever to do so whenever a developer comes knocking with a good offer.

Edit to add: Looks like the Mullinixs withdrew their judicial appeal of the administrative agency's determination. Question is what the administrative agency's finding was, and why they withdrew their appeal.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I know some of the Mullinix's. Went to school with Brian. Haven't talked to him for about 3 years or so. I know a lot of farmers out there, but it is too far to go hunting, though I would love to go Coyote hunting. We don't have those around here.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I know some of the Mullinix's. Went to school with Brian. Haven't talked to him for about 3 years or so. I know a lot of farmers out there, but it is too far to go hunting, though I would love to go Coyote hunting. We don't have those around here.

Give it some time. I am sure one or two yotes will cross the bay bridge during the night and then you will have more of them than you ever wanted. I was shocked when a buddy of mine shot one by Sugarloaf Mountain around 2005. Was shocked again when I saw one here last year. In another 10 years, I'll be out to visit you and lo and behold, shocked again. Overboost, get the rifle, get the rifle man. There is a yote in your front yard. Can you make the shot? lol

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    It has been rough watching all those houses go up. I couldn't see another house from anywhere on the property until I was 12. If I won the lottery, I'd end up broke from buying houses and converting the land back to farming.
    As of last Nov, they had not gotten approval. Pretty happy about that. My family has just under 100 acres in preservation in Lisbon. When my grandparents pass, one part of the family would have pushed very hard to pull it out and sell it for as much as possible. Zero interest in farming or even being part of the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom