• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Is anyone here familiar with the program? Do you know which 13 councils are approved?

I instruct for the BSA, and have not gotten a response to my email. I was hoping someone here is familiar.

Thanks

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Thirteen councils have been selected to participate in the pistol pilot program in 2014. ONLY these councils may have Boy Scouts shoot pistols as part of their shooting sports programs. For additional information, contact curt.palmer@scouting.org

I do not know which councils were selected.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I believe only Police Explorers are allowed to shoot pistols, but not positive.

This pilot would expand beyond that. Currently registered Venturers may shoot handguns at camp and BSA events. The pilot will allow all 14 and older scouts whether they are in Venturing crews or not. If the pilot is successful it will be expanded nationally, with a subsequent revision to the Guide to Safe Scouting and National Shooting Sports Manual.

Police Explorers may us LE-style silhouette targets while other groups are restricted to bullseye targets, or more properly those that don't resemble people and animals.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    Camp Henson which is in the Delmarva Council has added a shooting program this year which may include pistol. Our old Troop is going to Henson this summer and received an e-mail containing;

Henson Scout Reservation is initiating a new program geared to 16 and up scouts for this year. The program will be a High Adventure activity involving high power rifle shooting, sporting clays, archery on a field course or disc archery, a manufacturer visit to a firearms facility in the local area and pistol shooting. While pistol is not presently an option for Boy Scouts it may be approved by the Summer Camp season. If it is not approved then we will make it doable as a Venturing activity. The program will be a half day activity so all applicants will still be able to do morning MB activities. The participants should have Archery, Rifle and Shotgun MB before acceptance into program. This will be a competitive program with a shoot-off at camp as there are only 13-15 available spaces each week.

empire550

Spoons made me fat
    Nov 1, 2011
    The only bit of it I have seen is at the Summit.

Venture scouts as well as Boy scouts shot .22 and 9mm pistols there.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    The only bit of it I have seen is at the Summit.

Venture scouts as well as Boy scouts shot .22 and 9mm pistols there.

National-level events play by different sets of rules. For instance Boy Scout troops can only shoot .22 rifles and blackpowder rifles. Venturers can shoot center-fire rifles. At Philmont, trek crews, whether Boy Scouts or Venturers, can shoot .30-'06 rifles at one of the stations.

empire550

Spoons made me fat
    Nov 1, 2011
    Jamboree had:

.22 rifle
    20 Ga shotgun
    .22 pistol
    30-06 Rifle
    9mm Pistol
    Airrifle
    Powder Ball at moving targets
    3D archery
    standard archery
    archery at moving targets

All at one location. It was pretty impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom