• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradp56

Jan 12, 2015
    Havent shot since High School it really didnt take long to get back into it now I am hooked.

I bought a recurve Bow, and am looking for some good arrows now.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You have a conumdrum to solve.

Carbon arrows break, because they do not bend.
    Alunimnum arrows bend. This option is not too bad, if you have a straightener.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Aluminum shafts will work fine. Unless you are slapping them together in the target (if you are, shoot only one arrow at a spot and use multiple spots on your target to prevent this). They are cheaper than carbons and many of us used Alums for many, many years with no issues, other than the occasional errant shot that may bend an arrow shaft.

Carbons are more popular nowadays, they don't bend, but they do crack, which is actually worse, if you shoot a cracked carbon, you may get some unexpected results.. (this can be very bad too), but they are more $$$ and depending on what you are going to do (shoot competition, hunting, etc), they may not be worth the extra money.

I shot alums for over 30 years, never owned a straightener, just learn to 'spin' your arrows to check for bends. If one doesn't fly consistently, set it aside and check it for bending. You can check a shaft very quickly by placing the arrow point on the open palm of one hand, support the fletched end between two fingers (actually two fingernails) of the other hand. Blow on the fletching off to one side of the arrow. This will cause the arrow to spin quickly in your hand and you can see any runout very quickly and easily.

All that said, it is important to learn how to get a properly spined arrow for your particular setup. Most of the mfr's websites have arrow selection charts to point you in the right direction, depending on draw weight, type of bow and draw/arrow lengths. These factors all affect arrow spine and over or under-spined will give you problems with consistency. ;)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've been buying Easton Carbon Storm arrows on Ebay, plastic vanes, nocks installed, your choice of spine, cut to your length and inserts installed. The nocks can be twisted to where you want them.

I haven't broken or bent any yet.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Compound= Carbon or aluminums with plastic vanes.

Recurve/Longbow= aluminum or wood with feathers. I would go with aluminums for now and maybe cedar shafts down the road.

What weight is the bow?

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    3 rivers archery has a "test" kit of wood arrows that has different spine weights. They also have a multi weight field tip kit. I could really see a difference for which weight combo worked best in my receive.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Went to an archery club last week. Took my daughter and she loved it! The 70 year old lady next to me shooting a recurve bow was pegging 10's all day at 20 meters. She told me my compound was "nice", then when back to her 10's.

I am a relatively new shooter for bow, but at 50 meters I was punching my carbons 5" through the large straw target base. At 70 Meters I still broke through the back side by about 1". took 60 shots and ripped 3 of my field heads retracting the arrows.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Aluminum arrows did not work well. Will buy carbon next.

What kind of recurve do you have? Target, hunting, longbow? That would help dictate what type arrow you would choose. I would be helpful to know what draw weight is at full draw to get properly spined arrows.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    For that setup you need a pretty weak arrow. Do you know the size/specs of the aluminums you tried? Brand? Length? Usually they will be marked with a size 2016, 2117, or spine, usually a number in the hundreds (500, 550, 600 etc.)

How long is an arrow and how much is sticking forward of the bowshelf when you come to full draw and release?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom