• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I'm sure that was unbelievable. I wonder if the west bound driver fell a sleep. Odd thing is that he is the one that had the passenger. The other poor trucker had no chance. Probably happened at around 60MPH. Even the dog died.

Feb 28, 2013
    That would be my guess. That happened in middle of a straight flat stretch, not on that curve a couple miles east where Old Queen Anne Rd splits off.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I'm sure that was unbelievable. I wonder if the west bound driver fell a sleep. Odd thing is that he is the one that had the passenger. The other poor trucker had no chance. Probably happened at around 60MPH. Even the dog died.

I was thinking more like World according to Garp .

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I drive 404 frequently on the way to OC. I prefer to go through Delaware. I was just down there this past Friday. My Dad hates when I take him this way because of the 2-way high speed traffic and only 1 lane each way for much of the stretch. I have seen some very close calls when drivers are attempting to pass. There is just not much room to get out of the way if someone is coming head on at you if you even have time at that speed. This trucker had to be distracted or asleep.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I missed this by 15 minutes yesterday morning. I am usually on the road by 0330 but had a late starting job. If not for being 15 min early for the 15 min early I'd of probably been in it.
    Had a situation like this a month or so ago when my helper was 5 min late. It was sleeting and come up on rt 2 with a little infinity driving like an ass, well he ended up losing it and coming to a stop facing me on the west bound side of the severn river bridge. It was a mess but everyone walked away from that, narrowly.

My wife and I drive this route every weekend to our home in Bridgeville.....what a mess. Tragic indeed.

I drive 404 frequently on the way to OC. I prefer to go through Delaware. I was just down there this past Friday. My Dad hates when I take him this way because of the 2-way high speed traffic and only 1 lane each way for much of the stretch. I have seen some very close calls when drivers are attempting to pass. There is just not much room to get out of the way if someone is coming head on at you if you even have time at that speed. This trucker had to be distracted or asleep.

Stay on 50 damn it!:innocent0

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    It was not pretty. I am a lieutenant with Q.A.H.V.F.C. and have seen my share of really really bad accidents on 404 but this one is up there with the worst of them! We were actively cutting for almost two hours to extracate the passengers. The west bound truck that caused the accident was bent in a u. Literally the front bumper was touching the first tandem. The poor guy in the other truck had no chance the impact was horrific then he had his load (lumber) hit the cab from behind. I will not use this road and i live 200 yards from it!

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    It was not pretty. I am a lieutenant with Q.A.H.V.F.C. and have seen my share of really really bad accidents on 404 but this one is up there with the worst of them! We were actively cutting for almost two hours to extracate the passengers. The west bound truck that caused the accident was bent in a u. Literally the front bumper was touching the first tandem. The poor guy in the other truck had no chance the impact was horrific then he had his load (lumber) hit the cab from behind. I will not use this road and i live 200 yards from it!

I was listening to the scanner when Chief 80 gave his initial report, and right from the outset it didn't sound good. "Multiple vehicles on and off the roadway, heavy entrapment and fire. Unknown number of Pri 4's.". Definitely not a good start to the day.

Its events like this that make me glad we have no major single-lane highways in Oxford's first due area. We do usually get called for serious accidents in the 32 box on Ocean Gateway but being a divided highways means head-on accidents are thankfully uncommon occurrence.

Feb 28, 2013
    In my experience, 404 has to be the most dangerous highway in the state. The big issue is the traffic volume.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    In my experience, 404 has to be the most dangerous highway in the state. The big issue is the traffic volume.

No argument here. And only now, after decades of being woefully overburdened, it's finally being widened into a two-lane highway. It's completely ludicrous that Rt-404 is still mostly a one-lane road.

During the early 80s, I lived in Laurel, DE and used to go back and forth to the DC 'burbs a couple times a month to visit family. I avoided 404 like the plague, then and now. Then, I usually took a southern route from Laurel, through Federalsburg, Preston, then meeting 50 in Easton. Now, when I go to Rehobeth or Bethany, I still take a route that runs to the south, through Seaford, then Millsboro, and finally Rt-24 to the beach.

JoeR

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore

I believe they put out statistics a few years ago and it was the most dangerous road in md. It was never designed to handle the amount of traffic it does. The main reason for it still being a 2 lane road is because caroline county wouldn't conform to the dem agenda. They wouldn't play nice so the state wouldn't fund it. This new widening project was O'Malley attempt to win votes for Brown.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    No argument here. And only now, after decades of being woefully overburdened, it's finally being widened into a two-lane highway. It's completely ludicrous that Rt-404 is still mostly a one-lane road.

During the early 80s, I lived in Laurel, DE and used to go back and forth to the DC 'burbs a couple times a month to visit family. I avoided 404 like the plague, then and now. Then, I usually took a southern route from Laurel, through Federalsburg, Preston, then meeting 50 in Easton. Now, when I go to Rehobeth or Bethany, I still take a route that runs to the south, through Seaford, then Millsboro, and finally Rt-24 to the beach.

JoeR

Agreed. We usually go North past the 50 cutoff and take the back road that empties on 404, where the new Royal Farms is; this bypasses that eight mile stretch of death where 404 becomes four lanes. :party29: If you are going to Bridgeville you don't have a lot of options....you could stay on 50 to Easton and cut North, but you will still be on two lane roads....

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Agreed. We usually go North past the 50 cutoff and take the back road that empties on 404, where the new Royal Farms is; this bypasses that eight mile stretch of death where 404 becomes four lanes. :party29: If you are going to Bridgeville you don't have a lot of options....you could stay on 50 to Easton and cut North, but you will still be on two lane roads....

Nobody just goes to Bridgeville

Feb 28, 2013
    For years they had a big billboard "If you lived here, you'd be home now". And of course, a lot of folks just laughed...who'd want to live in Bridgeville??!! Is that sign still there?

JoeR

Still there.

I'd live there, as long as I'm out in the middle of a field with no neighbors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom