• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    Hi Guys, I'm looking for an inexpensive 12 gauge for turkey shoots. My son and I just tried one and had a good time , but my social shotgun is outclassed by hunting models. I need full choke and as close to a 30 inch barrel as I can get. Funds are tight and this may be a fad so I'm trying to stay conservative.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    First off, look at the simple thing

If you have an interchangeable choke, swap that out first before buying a new gun. Pattern the gun at the distance you plan on shooting using a similar type ammunition used in the shoots.

Full choke will not cut it, you will need a turkey extra full. The trick is to find the tightest choke compatible with your gun.

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    Thanks for the input, the place we were doesn't allow turkey chokes, I have a 500 Mossberg, but I don't think anyone local would stock a barrel, next shoot in this Sunday

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    If you are in southern calvert I would give the tackle box a call they usually have several new and used barrels for sale and if you are up north it might be worth a check at the bay pro shop on 260 or realco guns in district heights they normally have a few used barrels there.
    If the turkey shoot was in calvert I was going to try to make it and could have let you use a shotgun.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I don't know where the seller is located but there is an old Sears pump 12 gauge on armslist for 200 bucks.......don't know the barrel size.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    yep, check the tackle box for not only used shotguns, but also barrels. you'd be surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom