• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Anybody know where I can buy some 5.45x39 ammo locally in the Balto/DC/Frederick area..?? I'm not talking about the scarce "used to be cheap" corrosive Russian military surplus 7N6, just ordinary commercial Wolf, Tula, etc. Any leads are appreciated, thanks.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    7N6 will eventually dry up, probably with very short notice. Commercial 5.45 will always be around, and it's just as cheap as 5.56. So, long term, I don't really think of 5.45 as a particularly risky choice.

The problem, of course, is that if 5.45 = 5.56 in cost, there's zero point to buying 5.45 other than having something somewhat more resilient to panic buy periods.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    COMBLOC calibers would definitely be easier to shut down due to limited US production. Most federal gun control since the 80s has been import bans that are easier to pass. See 7N6.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    7N6 will eventually dry up, probably with very short notice. Commercial 5.45 will always be around, and it's just as cheap as 5.56. So, long term, I don't really think of 5.45 as a particularly risky choice.

The problem, of course, is that if 5.45 = 5.56 in cost, there's zero point to buying 5.45 other than having something somewhat more resilient to panic buy periods.

No doubt about that, and perhaps sooner than most people think. I don't shoot the corrosive stuff in any caliber, so the availability of 7N6 has never been an issue or a consideration for me.

I doubt the supply of commercial (mostly Russian made) 5.45 is going to dry up or run out anytime real soon, but who knows, stranger things have happened. For my purposes, having an AR in 5.45x39 was never about the per cartridge cost versus 5.56/.223, it was always about having another tool in the bag, ie. another option, and I like having options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom