• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Do any of the available reloading manuals have data specifically for plated pistol bullets like Berry's, X-treme, Rainier etc..?? I have Lyman's 50th edition and Speer #14, both of which are the most recent versions, and neither one lists any plated bullet loads for the calibers I load, namely 9mm, 10mm/.40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I know in general loads for plated bullets should use mid-range jacketed data, and there are some plated loads listed online @ handloads.com, but they are by no means extensive, and they are all loads submitted by individuals, which always makes me a little hesitant and nervous. It sure would be nice if there was a reliable source of carefully worked up load data available in a recognized commercial manual specifically for the popular brands of plated bullets.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    http://www.rainierballistics.com/reference/faqs/

Q6. Do you offer loading data for Rainier bullets?

A. Loads for copper jacketed bullets can be used for Rainier copper plated bullets. We recommend a starting powder charge directly between the listed minimum and maximum load.

Thanks guys, that pretty much meshes with the "use mid-range jacketed data" concept I mentioned above, but I was just wondering if there was any published manuals with load data specifically for the popular plated bullet brands.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You have to search a bit, but as I recall, they don't recommend loading plated boolits much beyond 1200fps in pistol calibers. I only load plated in my 45acp, so that isn't an issue for me.

There are no commercial load data available that I found when I started loading them, now I load more cast than plated, but the load data out there is decently accurate as many do load them now, but mostly handloaders, not commercial mfrs.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks guys, that pretty much meshes with the "use mid-range jacketed data" concept I mentioned above, but I was just wondering if there was any published manuals with load data specifically for the popular plated bullet brands.

I know what you're asking/saying...data specifically for x brand of plated bullets. But if brand x says to use existing load data for any copper jacketed bullets within certain parameters(mid range up or whatever)with their product, I think that's specific enough. It wouldn't be cost efficient as well as too much redundancy to publish load data for brand x plated bullets when it is already in the books.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've seen a handful of Berrys data on Hodgdon's online manual. I usually load with jacketed data, velocities tend to run about the same.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I've seen a handful of Berrys data on Hodgdon's online manual. I usually load with jacketed data, velocities tend to run about the same.

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that even though I'm not currently using any Hogdon's powders. Apparently the Lee 2nd edition manual has some loads as well. It's simple enough I suppose to just use the "mid range jacketed" formula since I run everything thru a chronograph during load development anyway, and nothing I'm loading gets even close to 1200 or 1250 fps, but the problem is there can be some significant disparities between data for a given caliber/bullet weight from one manual to the next, I tend to err on the side of caution (ie. lighter charges) when working up a load, and with conflicting data from one manual to the other it can sometimes result in starting loads that don't always cycle the action with 100% reliability.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that even though I'm not currently using any Hogdon's powders. Apparently the Lee 2nd edition manual has some loads as well. It's simple enough I suppose to just use the "mid range jacketed" formula since I run everything thru a chronograph during load development anyway, and nothing I'm loading gets even close to 1200 or 1250 fps, but the problem is there can be some significant disparities between data for a given caliber/bullet weight from one manual to the next, I tend to err on the side of caution (ie. lighter charges) when working up a load, and with conflicting data from one manual to the other it can sometimes result in starting loads that don't always cycle the action with 100% reliability.

Plated bullets seem to be more sensitive to powder choice than jacketed, if you use a fast powder, they shoot best with a light load, the slower the powder, the closer to max they seem to like. The 1200fps guideline isn't written in stone either, have loaded some 357mag and 10mm loads going a few hundred fps faster that work out great. For mid range loads, Xtreme plated with CFE pistol works awesome in just about every service caliber I've tried

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Been reloading for 40+ years, but took a bit of a hiatus until just recently. When I decided to get back in the game I decided to limit myself in both the number of calibers I was going to load, and the types of powders (as well as bullets) I was going to use. I'm loading just 4 pistol calibers... 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP, plus .223/5.56 rifle, thats it. For 9mm and .45 I'm sticking with Bullseye, it's always worked exceptionally well for me in these two and I see no reason to change, it meters well, burns clean, and is very consistent in my experience. For .40 and 10mm I decided to go with Power Pistol, a powder that wasn't around back when I was very active in reloading, but so far I've been pleased with it's performance. I use AA2230 exclusively for 223/5.56, I've burned probably 20 lbs of the stuff over the years, and again, it's exceptionally clean burning and consistent so I see no reason to change.

Plated bullets were just coming in to widespread use when I took a break from reloading, they seem to be pretty forgiving in general as long as you don't push em' too fast or over crimp them, but I just prefer to have more data at my fingertips than less, it just seems to make to the whole process of load development more efficient, and that's really the whole reason I posted this thread in the first place, just see what was out there that I might not be aware of. Thanks to all for the replies and info.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Hodgdon data features some recipes with Berry's plated bullets, and some of Alliant's data are figured with lead or their TMJ and Gold Dot bullets which are both plated also. I've generally found that cast lead data is the reference point to go with plated instead of jacketed data since plating is much thinner and a bit softer than a jacket. As you mentioned, don't overcrimp them or you'll get completely ruined accuracy in the form of tumbling/keyholing.

Probably the best info source there is for pistol reloading data there is right now is Brian Enos' site.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Hodgdon data features some recipes with Berry's plated bullets, and some of Alliant's data are figured with lead or their TMJ and Gold Dot bullets which are both plated also. I've generally found that cast lead data is the reference point to go with plated instead of jacketed data since plating is much thinner and a bit softer than a jacket. As you mentioned, don't overcrimp them or you'll get completely ruined accuracy in the form of tumbling/keyholing.

Probably the best info source there is for pistol reloading data there is right now is Brian Enos' site.

Thanks! I'll check that out.

Oh, and... ROLL TIDE!! My daughter is completing her 3rd year of Med school in Tuscaloosa and I love Bama' football!

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Roll Tide indeed! Looking like a very good year so far. Congrats on your daughter, that's really really cool. Do you get to go down there much? I hope to get down there for a game this year if work doesn't get too crazy. USC is going to have one LONG bus ride home.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Roll Tide indeed! Looking like a very good year so far. Congrats on your daughter, that's really really cool. Do you get to go down there much? I hope to get down there for a game this year if work doesn't get too crazy. USC is going to have one LONG bus ride home.

Unfortunately no, but I would absolutely love to attend a home game in T town!! I fully expected Bama to beat USC, but didn't expect that kind of a beat down, it was almost sad to watch... almost... LOLL :lol2:

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Handloader magazine tested plated bullets Issue 300 Feb 2016, 9mm 38 sp, 357, 45 Colt, 45 ACP.
    Wide disparity in performance between different makes of pistols and between pistols and carbines. Author tested a couple of makes of bullets and several powders. Not quite the definitive article you might want but he gives loads and velocities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom