• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    OK, I'm thinking seriously about adding a G30 to my stable of handguns, anybody here shooting one..?? I'd appreciate opinions, ie. Gen 3 versus Gen 4, ammo selection etc. Does the dual recoil spring on Gen 4's really make a difference recoil wise, and therefore justify the additonal cost, or is it just marketing hype...?? Any suggestions for aftermarket accessories etc..?? Thanks.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    OK, I'm thinking seriously about adding a G30 to my stable of handguns, anybody here shooting one..?? I'd appreciate opinions, ie. Gen 3 versus Gen 4, ammo selection etc. Does the dual recoil spring on Gen 4's really make a difference recoil wise, and therefore justify the additonal cost, or is it just marketing hype...?? Any suggestions for aftermarket accessories etc..?? Thanks.
    Get a 30s. Slimmer slide is much easier to conceal and looks better. Still capable of using G21 mags. Smaller than a G19 but bigger than a G26. It is a great size for concealed carry.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Thanks guys, I guess I should have made it clear in my original post that I'm not interested in the 30S or 30SF, my bad, but thanks for the input anyway.

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    My 30 gen4 shoots very accurately and feels great. Recoil is spread across the palm and is easy to get a solid grip. Get one and enjoy! Much more fun @ the range then my S&W Bodyguard. I know its apples and peaches, but what ever. Got a deal on Remington UMC HP and have had no FTF issues. Put
    approx. 100 thru it in the last 6 months and Federal FMJs all day long for indoor range time.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Thanks guys, I guess I should have made it clear in my original post that I'm not interested in the 30S or 30SF, my bad, but thanks for the input anyway.
    In that case the G30 is the same in Gen 3 and Gen 4 except for the changeable back straps and grip texture. If you want to be able to change the grip angle and like a rougher texture get the Gen 4. If that doesn't matter get the Gen 3. In either case they both have the dual recoil spring guide rod assembly. Gen 4 costs more but also gets you 3 mags instead of two.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    IMO the gen4, hands down, love my 4s although It isn't enough to trade in my 3rd gen SF bought long before the newer models came out, or pass up a good deal on a G3SF. All G30s have coax recoil springs, no real change from gen3 to gen4. You do get a larger mag release that is easier to reach, and a much better grip texture and a 3rd mag. The grip shape is the same as the SF, the backstrap "hump" is flatter than the standard G3, and it points more naturally for those coming to GLOCKS from other pistols, but also includes larger backstraps and beavertails you can try. Only downside is the excellent Pearce floorplates have a Gen3 pattern, still work with 4s, but just doesn't match the new texture. With the Pearce floorplates on the 10rd mags you have a nice snug full fingered grip similar in length to a Glock 19, but fatter. The standard slide makes the pistol chunky, quite a bit wider than the 9/40 pistols, but the weight makes recoil surprisingly manageable, even with hot +p ammo, the S model is simmer and much easier to carry, but recoil is sharper. If you use the slide stop to release the slide there is practically nothing sticking out, a Vickers stop is much easier to hit, a Vickers mag release is also nice, easier to hit, and not so big to get in the way. As far as ammo, it's a GLOCK, long as it's plated or jacketed, it will eat anything.

Last edited:

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Thanks Gents, sounds like the Gen 4 is the way to go. I didn't realize the Gen 3 and Gen 4 G30 both have the dual recoil spring, so that's great info. I do prefer the beavertail back straps option that the Gen 4's offer and the extra mag is a bonus too.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Running my G30SF in competition tomorrow. I'm a Glockster through and through.

Sorry I don't have guidance, I can only recommend my set up and you've ruled it out.

Can't go wrong with a Glock, once you find what suits you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to point out:

30s has the skinny slide from the G36 . Yeah, yeah, it's slimmer. The more significant factor is the skinny slide is a lot lighter. Lighter to carry is presumptively a good thing, but all else is not equal. The skinny slide has significantly increased muzzle flip. If you have interest in such, the skinny slide is not suitable for .45Super.

G30sf - Refers to "short frame" , in actuality think of it more as Slim Frame . Uses the normal width slide. My G29sf fits my hand perfectly, so I felt no desire to be able to change backstraps.

My guy offers no-cost upgrade to Gen 4 slide and mag releases, unless customer wants to stay with Gen3 on purpose.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I have a Glock 30S in my collection and I was very pleasantly surprised when I took it to the range - it was a lot easier to shoot than I expected (and I'm an old lady, but not necessarily a Glockster). The narrower slide on the G30S makes it a little easier to conceal than the G30.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    In that case the G30 is the same in Gen 3 and Gen 4 except for the changeable back straps and grip texture. If you want to be able to change the grip angle and like a rougher texture get the Gen 4. If that doesn't matter get the Gen 3. In either case they both have the dual recoil spring guide rod assembly. Gen 4 costs more but also gets you 3 mags instead of two.

This man knows his Glocks. He is spot on here. The 30 is one of my favorites.

Oj Baltimore

Jul 19, 2016
    The downside to a 30s is there are NO accessories available for this item, except magazines. None of the good red dots are made to fit (not even on Amazon), there are no good slides or threaded barrels options. No drum magazine option, nor does it have an option to be converted to a carbine rifle like the G19 and G17. With all that accessory neglect, I still think the 30s is the best option even though it is butt-naked(Stock). You would have to shoot one, and you will be surprised how accurate a 45 can be.
    I know you said you wanted the 30 Gen4, but some people come looking for an AK and walk away with a VZ.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks Gents, sounds like the Gen 4 is the way to go. I didn't realize the Gen 3 and Gen 4 G30 both have the dual recoil spring, so that's great info. I do prefer the beavertail back straps option that the Gen 4's offer and the extra mag is a bonus too.

On the larger models, the beavertail backstrapas can be nice, but they do place your hand lower on the grip, and add size to an already fat grip. With the compacts already having limited realestate, they don't shoot as well for many. One thing that I do like is to use a G20/21 smooth faced trigger bar, cheap factory part, it feels better, and prevents the ridges in the serrated trigger from scuffing your finger, and for me makes it less likely I'll push the trigger to the side when shooting.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I recently sold a 30. It is well made, reliable, extremely accurate and may be the softest shooting 45 ever made, but I couldn't get past the fact that it's plastic. Just not for me, but a great gun in it's own right.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Just to point out:
    30s has the skinny slide from the G36 . Yeah, yeah, it's slimmer. The more significant factor is the skinny slide is a lot lighter. Lighter to carry is presumptively a good thing, but all else is not equal. The skinny slide has significantly increased muzzle flip. If you have interest in such, the skinny slide is not suitable for .45Super.
    G30sf - Refers to "short frame" , in actuality think of it more as Slim Frame . Uses the normal width slide. My G29sf fits my hand perfectly, so I felt no desire to be able to change backstraps.
    My guy offers no-cost upgrade to Gen 4 slide and mag releases, unless customer wants to stay with Gen3 on purpose.

I know Gen 3 slides will work on a Gen 4 frame, but I've heard conflicting reports of the compatibility of Gen 4 slides on Gen 3 frames. At any rate, all my current Glocks (21, 22, 23) are all Gen 4 so it's not an issue.

As for accessories, to each his own but I have no use for drum magazines or carbine stocks on a handgun, it's just not my cup of tea. I have not checked out aftermarket accessories specifically for the G30, but I assume the usual suspects are available in abundance, ie. spring kits, plungers, connectors, triggers, and so on. I know at least one company (Storm Lake) makes a 10mm conversion barrel for the G30, so I honestly don't see any huge lack of aftermarket accessories for the G30, at least with regard to the kind of accessories I would personally find useful.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The downside to a 30s is there are NO accessories available for this item, except magazines. None of the good red dots are made to fit (not even on Amazon), there are no good slides or threaded barrels options. No drum magazine option, nor does it have an option to be converted to a carbine rifle like the G19 and G17. With all that accessory neglect, I still think the 30s is the best option even though it is butt-naked(Stock). You would have to shoot one, and you will be surprised how accurate a 45 can be.
    I know you said you wanted the 30 Gen4, but some people come looking for an AK and walk away with a VZ.

One Source Tactical offers milling options for red dots such as the Luepold DeltaPoint and the Trijicon RMR IIRC. There are threaded barrels especially for the .45's as .45 is naturally subsonic and a lot of people supress them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom