• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I was on vacation in the Smokey Mts a gew years ago and got cornered on the deck our our cabin by a large black bear. Its was a pretty scary experience. At first he was curious then ran at me for a few steps then stopped.

I suddenly turned into a lion tamer with my deck chair and a towel waving above my head :-) prob look ridiculous but it convinced him there was probably better options elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Be prepared for this soon.... :-)

q92iy44c58jms7oip3ig.jpg

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Should read all the comments in the Frederick Post about this!!! "We gotta have a probear rally, don't kill the bear!" Hope that woman meets one in her driveway and see if she sings the same tune!!!

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    OK! More to the point: If this woman were carrying, could she have possibly defended herself? Would a non-fatal shot have incited the bear to attack, or scared it off? What are the chances that she could have inflicted a disabling shot to the bear once the threat was apparent?

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I had an interesting bear encounter not long ago. Just after sun-up one morning I was barreling top speed across my field in a backhoe. When I got to where I was working I shut the engine down and heard a big ruckus in the top of a huge tree along the woodline. I look up and see 3 cubs working their way down the tree. So I'm sitting there taking it all in and then mom pops out of the woods and stops at the edge of the field. We just sit there looking at each other for around 30 seconds until all of the cubs made it to the ground. Then everyone split without even waving bye or anything...big meanies! I have to wonder how it would have played out if I was working closer to the base of the tree and went to work without shutting the engine off.

fiveloaves

Sep 9, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Tried to find a cartoon about a bear attack, but instead saw pictures of real bear victims.
    Very serious stuff, can't imagine that woman's pain.
    Better to keep her in our thoughts

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    The problem with our society is that they are more upset about a bear being killed than the woman. Majority of comments left on WTOP blamed the woman for interfering with nature!!! This is f*cking lunacy at its best.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I was on vacation in the Smokey Mts a gew years ago and got cornered on the deck our our cabin by a large black bear. Its was a pretty scary experience. At first he was curious then ran at me for a few steps then stopped.

I suddenly turned into a lion tamer with my deck chair and a towel waving above my head :-) prob look ridiculous but it convinced him there was probably better options elsewhere.

I've heard that black bears bluff charge. The best thing to do is make lots of noise and it will back down - assuming its not a sow with cubs, then ya in for a world of hurt. I suppose you can punch it in the mouth like that Russian boxer did...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

I knew that I shouldn't have looked ...

In the echo chamber of the Washington Post comments section, newly minted ursinologists are lamenting the killing of the sow that mauled the 63-yr old women. Most of the top rated comments in the Post’s story think the bear should have been saved and question whether it would have lost fear of humans, despite coming back to chew on the victim a few times afterwards.

I wonder whether they would be so publicly smug in their self-certitude if a neck instead of an arm was broken, or one of the many bite punctures severed an artery.

Some even questioned why the woman was in her own yard, putting out her trash that evening (and I bet that these same people, thinking that there is potential danger, would simultaneous argue that bears are gentle giants that rarely attack humans, so thus are not a danger to suburban dwellers and their children).

I guarantee there's probably a 100% correlation with Clinton/Stein voters and these Einsteins (of those that bothered to vote).

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I've heard that black bears bluff charge. The best thing to do is make lots of noise and it will back down - assuming its not a sow with cubs, then ya in for a world of hurt. I suppose you can punch it in the mouth like that Russian boxer did...
    Thats what I did. He gave me a quick 3 or 4 steps and stopped so I stated banging the chair on the deck and waving the towel he was prob laughing about it later on but my only other option was to jump off the deck and that was like a 40 ft drop so noise it was...

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I knew that I shouldn't have looked ...

In the echo chamber of the Washington Post comments section, newly minted ursinologists are lamenting the killing of the sow that mauled the 63-yr old women. Most of the top rated comments in the Post’s story think the bear should have been saved and question whether it would have lost fear of humans, despite coming back to chew on the victim a few times afterwards.

I wonder whether they would be so publicly smug in their self-certitude if a neck instead of an arm was broken, or one of the many bite punctures severed an artery.

Some even questioned why the woman was in her own yard, putting out her trash that evening (and I bet that these same people, thinking that there is potential danger, would simultaneous argue that bears are gentle giants that rarely attack humans, so thus are not a danger to suburban dwellers and their children).

I guarantee there's probably a 100% correlation with Clinton/Stein voters and these Einsteins (of those that bothered to vote).

Oh yeah, 100%.

If you look at the FNP comments you'll see the usual Hillary supporters gnashing teeth over the bear. Typical libtards, worried about a bear but apparently don't give two sh!ts about those killed in Benghazi.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In light of the rising frequency of human bear confrontations, the Maryland Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and be alert for bears while in the field. …We advise that outdoors men wear small bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren’t expecting them, and to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter….

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoors men should recognize the difference between coyote droppings and bear droppings. Coyote droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and fur. Bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom