• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I'm with Smoke Eater on this one, all the more reason to take your time and find a nice one. For a shooter look for bore and muzzle condition first, then make sure you have a stable stock platform with an issue or field replacement stock of any variety that is up to the task for the rigors you will subject it to. (I would avoid aftermarket stocks because you cannot tell how well they have been fitted but nothing inherently wrong with them if done right but they are soft) Then make sure the sighting arrangement is solid and in good working order without a beat up rear sight collar that is not bent from accommodating a poorly fit rear sight at the rear post. Look at bolt fitting and make sure there is at least a .004 gap at the bolt safety lug and rear bridge on a 03 bolt and there is no sign of peening at the left bolt lug and extractor slot and there is milled bottom metal with a smooth feeding follower, although this is not a necessity but its what you are paying for. All milled parts and a DHT 1903 bolt. Just look for one that has a swept back handle, a scalloped third safety lug and milled extractor key with no additional undercutting or milling around the third lug and you'll be set. I wouldn't be overly concerned with HS issues with any arsenal fit replacement barrel but make sure the index is not off and the sights are square. Stock marks, rack numbers and handgaurd profiles will add up to a more pleasing purchase over time and may come in handy for other rifles you will acquire. 03A3'a are more abundant and can be found in better shape usually but they are not as well fit as the earlier rifles but perform as well or better.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I'm with Smoke Eater on this one, all the more reason to take your time and find a nice one. For a shooter look for bore and muzzle condition first, then make sure you have a stable stock platform with an issue or field replacement stock of any variety that is up to the task for the rigors you will subject it to. (I would avoid aftermarket stocks because you cannot tell how well they have been fitted but nothing inherently wrong with them if done right but they are soft) Then make sure the sighting arrangement is solid and in good working order without a beat up rear sight collar that is not bent from accommodating a poorly fit rear sight at the rear post. Look at bolt fitting and make sure there is at least a .004 gap at the bolt safety lug and rear bridge on a 03 bolt and there is no sign of peening at the left bolt lug and extractor slot and there is milled bottom metal with a smooth feeding follower, although this is not a necessity but its what you are paying for. All milled parts and a DHT 1903 bolt. Just look for one that has a swept back handle, a scalloped third safety lug and milled extractor key with no additional undercutting or milling around the third lug and you'll be set. I wouldn't be overly concerned with HS issues with any arsenal fit replacement barrel but make sure the index is not off and the sights are square. Stock marks, rack numbers and handgaurd profiles will add up to a more pleasing purchase over time and may come in handy for other rifles you will acquire. 03A3'a are more abundant and can be found in better shape usually but they are not as well fit as the earlier rifles but perform as well or better.

All good points, couldn't agree more.

Funny you menation the index mark. At the Timoninum show that just past, over by the concession stand was a mixmaster 03 where the barrel had a gap between the reciever and barrel. Was not screwed on all the way. Curious if anyone else caught that.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    One of my "If only's" is to own an
    all original in-the-blue pre-1918 1903.
    I own several 03's (including an
    early one in that "unsafe" range), and
    a 03A3... love 'email.

My dad carried aSmith Corona 03A3
    as an MP in the ETO in '44-'45, until
    his unit was plundered and sent to the infantry shortly before the Bulge hit.
    He got into combat about the end of February/March, where he was handed
    a battle-damaged Garand and two
    bandoleers of ammo, a couple of empty No. 10 tomato cans, and told to
    go a mile to the rear and learn how to shoot it on his own.
    Next day, he was in it.

Last edited:

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

wow you and smoke eater posted just what the DR ordered good posting to the both of ya Thanks

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Me, I'd be looking for an early WW2 Remington 1903 (not to be confused with the simplified for wartime 03A3 which came later). I think you'd kill two birds with one stone. Collectible and shootable. Harder to find as they weren't built in the same numbers but worth the effort. Food for thought!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have a couple of the early Remington 1903s...nice rifles. There's actually two types...the 1903 and 1903 (Modified). The early type is very uncommon and hard to find. The Modified models aren't too tough to find. I still prefer 1903A3 rifles for shooting...the sights are much better even if they're a bit less finely finished than Springfield Armory rifles.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    There was a nice 03 for sale in Lankfords Seaford DE. J5 nice finish exc bore and muzzle pre Oneida sights with lightening cuts on rear collar. Scant stock with clean rebuild marks beautiful rifle. Been there a while it still may be.
    All it needs is a sling, a good home and somebody behind it.
    A little bit of a premium price but not extravagant. Well worth it to get a good jump in the game with a solid rifle that's not been gooned up.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Put a C-stock on it in place of the warthog stock and it will be an awesome rifle even if not all correct. 1903s of any model are great rifles...history...performance...quality...what's not to like?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Put a C-stock on it in place of the warthog stock and it will be an awesome rifle even if not all correct. 1903s of any model are great rifles...history...performance...quality...what's not to like?

I kind of like the scants because they are so ugly and there's usually plenty there for bedding. I'm getting ready to cut on one that's been inlet for a handgaurd ring to accommodate a peep sight for something that I'm working on. Another would be engineer such as myself already ruined the cut-off milling to some degree for an unknown purpose.

The one I described needs nothing done to it but a C stock would make it a home run or a grand slam for that matter. It's already been together for a long time already and quite nice the way it is for a shooter.

It doesn't have that crappy brown paint like stain like a lot of the OG rebuild scants with the course grain an texture. Ive almost talked myself into heading up there to see if its still there.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If you go after a 03a3 pay attention to the area around the On/Off switch, look for discoloration and or what might look like it was a weld that was cut and cleaned up. Most times this area will tell you if it was at one time a drill rifle that was redone to be functional. This is not a tell all though, i bought one myself that i was sure was not welded around that area but when i took off the stock when i got home, i found the barrel had at one time been welded and then cut to have another barrel put on. They might also do this with 1903's but i have seen it mostly with the 03a3's.

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpg
      IMG_0712.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 73
    • IMG_0691.jpg
      IMG_0691.jpg
      33.5 KB · Views: 77

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members