• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Magpul XTM Rail Covers...

Anybody using them..? Experiences, opinions, comments, suggestions, etc. welcomed.

Thanks.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I had some but found they make an already wide, bulky rail even wider and bulkier. I just ordered some of Magpul's Mlok rail covers for an Mlok handguard though.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I agree they do make a quad rail bulky but mine are mounted on my LR-308 and the xtra bulk gives you something substantial to hold on to with the .308's recoil.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Magpul XTM Rail Covers...

Anybody using them..? Experiences, opinions, comments, suggestions, etc. welcomed.

Thanks.
    Good for heat resistance. Not good for the popular c-clamp grip unless you have large hands, they add serious diameter to the overall fore-end. I like them for a modified c-clamp grabbing the top of a VFG with bottom 3 fingers at top of VFG, index finger on rail covers pointing forward, and thumb resting on top edge of rail cover. No skin shredding rails for my digits. Good for resting on sandbags or other rests, the sharp-edged rails won't cut stuff open.

My favorite - buy 2 or 3 colors and you can mix & match the pieces for a pretty cool look too, and you can then do that on multiple rifles (like the old joke when you're wearing a pair of socks, one blue and one black, and you have another pair at home just like it).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've used them extensively on a few different rifles. They're quite excellent if you're rocking an old-school quad-rail. I found them quite comfortable. The handstop kit is pretty great, too.

Only tip I'd give is that you want to give them a nice little tap in the middle with a rubber mallet to make sure they're all the way together.

(All of that said, traditional quad rails are almost completely obsolete when compared to the new MLOK handguards.)

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Thanks for all the input guys.

I just installed a set of them, here's a pic of the gun they're mounted on, it's my blasting carbine, it sees quite a bit of use and runs like a scalded dog. :D

I originally had a set of Knight's Armament rail covers on this gun, top quality for sure but they are really bulky, way bulkier than these IMO. The vertical grip is a Knight's also.

I love Magpul stuff, but initially I was a little put off by the "Lego Toy" snap together design of these rail covers, but now that I've got them on there I really like the look and feel of these, and I appreciate the lower profile less bulky design, so I've ordered a couple more sets for some of my other carbines.

Attachments

• DSCF1935crp.jpg
      DSCF1935crp.jpg
      115 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads