• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Didn't even know they'd released them, might be time to put some sights on the 31 slide and get that one back into rotation.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Didn't even know they'd released them, might be time to put some sights on the 31 slide and get that one back into rotation.

Yeah me either Brad, the only thing that alerted me was a Youtube video of Lenny Magill (The Glockstore) doing a build with one,..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkt7vi0Bn5g&t=168s

and I just figured it was a pre-release sample or something, but when I started checking around I found the one from JSD supply, and it didn't say anything about "pre-order" or whatever, it just said "in stock", and it claims they have like 130 units available, so I ordered one and we'll see.

This one on the other hand clearly states "pre-order"...

https://www.ghostguns.com/home/157-...80-receiver-textured-frame-v2-polymer-80.html

One thing is for sure, I don't see them at the Poly 80 website, so this is certainly a "quiet" release, which seems odd given the popularity of the compact frame.... Go figure.... :shrug:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Strange. I figured they'd make more noise if they were hitting the market.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Some states mandate a serial number/registration after completion, CA an Hawaii as examples, IIRC.

My co-worker actually wants to have his engraved, not for registration with the state, but for his own log book - in case of theft or such.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I picked up a v1.5 from midway with their $50 deal. Still a no handguns household for now, but I figure if/when I convince my boss, I mean wife, otherwise I have a project.

Kind of tempting to pick up another one at $50.

The v2 also looks really tempting. I need to tell myself that I have enough projects starting to pile up.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    There was a lot of noise around these back in August. I think it debuted at TriggerCon...

Either way, I pre-ordered one from Brownells at that point. I just got confirmation of the order being placed and will hopefully have it soon. Maybe its a quiet roll out because they don't want media attention on their product?

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I picked up a v1.5 from midway with their $50 deal. Still a no handguns household for now, but I figure if/when I convince my boss, I mean wife, otherwise I have a project.

Kind of tempting to pick up another one at $50.

The v2 also looks really tempting. I need to tell myself that I have enough projects starting to pile up.

There's no harm in doing a v1 @ $50 just to gain some build experience, but I think I would spend the extra and get the v2 for the next one, in the long run I think it will be money well spent. Just some humble advice from someone who has done a v1.

The v1 full size was very hit or miss in terms of performance and longevity, the compact on the other hand has received almost universal high praise, and the v2 full size is for all intents and purposes the same exact design, just slightly longer. I'm really looking forward to doing mine.

There was a lot of noise around these back in August. I think it debuted at TriggerCon...

Either way, I pre-ordered one from Brownells at that point. I just got confirmation of the order being placed and will hopefully have it soon. Maybe its a quiet roll out because they don't want media attention on their product?

That is exactly what crossed my mind almost immediately, I don't know if there's any foundation for that assumption, but Poly 80 is a Nevada based company, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the $hit storm that recently took place in Vegas has prompted them to keep this release as "low profile" as possible, because a high profile target of the extreme anti-gun crowd is the so called "ghost guns", ie. 80% frames of any kind.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Last Thursday at the range, I met a guy who has a 17 & 19. The 17 was his 1st attempt and going very slow took a week. The 19 took about 20 minutes and he is on the wait list for more.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Got mine several weeks ago when they were released; put the G34 upper on it. This and the compact are super easy, even a dumbass like me can do it. Strictly used a dremel, had it all done and put together in like an hour.. maybe a little longer, but not much. Hadn't fired it yet, no time... which is killing the Critter, he is dying to shoot it and then claim it :)

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Just got a ship confirmation email from JSD Supply, so it's the real deal and not just a pre-order "bait and switch" type of thing.

They are in PA so it should get here fast.

This should be a breeze, having already done the compact frame....

I have all the frame build parts on hand, and a complete slide ready to go... Let the good times roll.. :D

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Yeah me either Brad, the only thing that alerted me was a Youtube video of Lenny Magill (The Glockstore) doing a build with one,..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkt7vi0Bn5g&t=168s

and I just figured it was a pre-release sample or something, but when I started checking around I found the one from JSD supply, and it didn't say anything about "pre-order" or whatever, it just said "in stock", and it claims they have like 130 units available, so I ordered one and we'll see.

This one on the other hand clearly states "pre-order"...

https://www.ghostguns.com/home/157-...80-receiver-textured-frame-v2-polymer-80.html

One thing is for sure, I don't see them at the Poly 80 website, so this is certainly a "quiet" release, which seems odd given the popularity of the compact frame.... Go figure.... :shrug:
    Their IG page is more informative than their website lately... :lol2:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There's no harm in doing a v1 @ $50 just to gain some build experience, but I think I would spend the extra and get the v2 for the next one, in the long run I think it will be money well spent. Just some humble advice from someone who has done a v1.

The v1 full size was very hit or miss in terms of performance and longevity, the compact on the other hand has received almost universal high praise, and the v2 full size is for all intents and purposes the same exact design, just slightly longer. I'm really looking forward to doing mine.

That is exactly what crossed my mind almost immediately, I don't know if there's any foundation for that assumption, but Poly 80 is a Nevada based company, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the $hit storm that recently took place in Vegas has prompted them to keep this release as "low profile" as possible, because a high profile target of the extreme anti-gun crowd is the so called "ghost guns", ie. 80% frames of any kind.

They seem to review really well. Is it an issue of the design being unreliable? Or just mistakes in finishing it?

For me it’ll eventually be getting my feet wet with it and the price seemed hard to beat. I could always build it in to a 9mm and then go with a V2, transfer the parts to that and rebuild the V1 with a 22lr Parts.

ziptiespec

This was supposed to be the project for the evening:

3ZMrX2El.jpg

Other things came up and this will have to wait until tomorrow. This is the G19 frame. I can see doing another one of these and a 17 as well.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Is it cheaper than buying a complete gun or just for the fun of doing it yourself. If it's just for fun I get it having built 2 ARs myself. I took my time and found it very relaxing. Can you build a 17 long slide out of one of these?

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    Is it cheaper than buying a complete gun or just for the fun of doing it yourself. If it's just for fun I get it having built 2 ARs myself. I took my time and found it very relaxing. Can you build a 17 long slide out of one of these?

It might be cheaper to get a complete one now that the Gen 5's are out. Haven't really looked at prices on the Gen 3's since the new releases.

I can't speak for everyone else but I've got the build bug after trying my hand at an AR. There are other benefits as well :innocent0

To answer your other question, yes it can be built into a 34 or 17L if you can find them at a good price.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    They seem to review really well. Is it an issue of the design being unreliable? Or just mistakes in finishing it?

For me it’ll eventually be getting my feet wet with it and the price seemed hard to beat. I could always build it in to a 9mm and then go with a V2, transfer the parts to that and rebuild the V1 with a 22lr Parts.

With the v1 it's a little of both. The plastic rear rails are inherently fragile and finishing them can be tricky.

Some of the early v1 frames also had a serious issue with the pocket for the trigger housing mechanism being too loose, which basically prevented the gun from functioning. People were resorting to shims and stuff to take up the extra space, not an ideal solution but it worked. I had to do this with my v1 frame before I could get it to function properly.

There are a number of threads around here that discuss all these issues and more, in detail, you'll have to search around for them though.

FWIW, my v1 frame works fine and the plastic rear rails are holding up after probably 300 to 400 rds., but as soon as the v2 became available I decided for long term durability and reliability this was the way to go, and I've stripped all the parts out of my v1 and disposed of it. I personally just don't have faith in those plastic rails for the long haul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom