• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver

Nov 6, 2017
    Ok, so I know it's definitely a loaded question, but I'm looking for people's input on a new .45 ACP. I really like the feel of the Glock 21, and the S&W MP 45 ( I have shot the S&W MP 9 which was nice, but not the 45). As always, 1911's are great, and Rock River Arms have some models in the same general price range of the Glock and S&W. This gun would primarily just be for at the range/ in the house, but probably also for when I head out to western MD. Thanks for any input!

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Get a non-1911, if you're considering it as a serious self-defense handgun.

It's a nice, nostalgic platform. Yes, many can be extremely efficient with it, but there are far better choices than a 1911.

I'd be considering the Glock. But probably not a 1911, and maybe not .45. Already have one, myself.

I'd go 9mm, or pick up a good used police .40, and save some cash. When the bullet crunch happened a few years back, there was still .40 everywhere (in Iowa, when I was there, at least).

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yes you need to decide on capacity first. will 8+1 (or 10+1 with mags that stick out) work for you, or will you want or need more? then as noted above hit a range that rents a variety and give them a try. if you want double stack capacity with 1911 ergo's, check out STI.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Rent some. You'll pick the wrong one, then buy another. Just kidding, a little. There are a lot of good .45s out there. M&P, XD, XDm, USP and Glock. The 1911 is capable for your uses. You could run into break in issues with some makers. Plus, cost can vary widely. Ruger SR1911 has been proven solid and affordable.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    For a range toy - A 1911 or p220 would be my vote... 1911 for the nostalgia, p220 because it's a shooter... My only beef with most of the .45's is the magazine count. 8-10 rounds go too quickly.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Best advice: find a range where you can actually rent several, then, go with what feels best and is the easiest for you to operate.

JtixJtA.jpg

The Walther PPQ 45 has been my go-to pistol for HD and fun at the range since I picked it up last June. Here's a link to my range report(s) with plenty of pics.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=211125

I own a couple of nice 1911's (Sig and Dan Wesson), a Sig P220 and several CZ's. Any of them could more than serve my purposes but, the PPQ 45 is something that's insanely accurate, easy to operate, completely reliable and it won't break your bank.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yup , you stepped into it , albeit not quite as deep a hole as 9mm vs .40 .

It's reverse cliche , but the answer really is , whichever one you shoot best . ( I presume you are open to single stacks since you listed 1911 . For myself , I don't obsess over mag capacity, and it is way down my list of factors .)

Shoot Glock , M&P , and XDm . Then compare your preference of those with a 1911 in the configuration you shoot best.

( Good thing I didn't mention P220, P227 , CZ 97 , Cougar, or Witness , or then you would really be confused. )

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    In .45 ACP I have numerous Colts, a couple of H&K USPs, a Glock 30 and a Springfield XD-45. All are outstanding in their own ways. You need to try several and see how each feels in your hands. Of the ones I own I would feel very confident with any. My preference is a 1911 but that's as much due to familiarity as anything.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It sounds like you kinda knew what you were stepping into...saying you want a .45 is like saying you want to buy an SUV in terms of choices. Although it is a lot easier to end up owning several .45's than several SUV's.

Personally, I feel that every gun guy or gal should have at least one 1911 in their collection...because...well...'Merica :patriot: It was my first .45 (heck, it was my first handgun...started paperwork on my 21st birthday:D), but it is certainly not my only .45. Try before you buy is great advice. I tend to just buy...because...well...'Merica (and good credit with no kids yet:innocent0)

Some others that I don't think where mentioned: Ruger American, Sig P320

Good luck; buy a couple :innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My 21st b'day gun was a Super Blackhawk. But a 1911 was my first semiauto pistol.

And I was kinda " eh , ok , but what's the big deal here ? " And then I tried the eventual FIL's 1911 with long trigger and flat mainspring, and mild beavertail that didn't bite my hand ! Eureka ! This was outstanding, as if made just for me .

YM can and probably will V . What's perfect for me , probably won't be best for normal people w/o gorrilla sized hands . But my point is to fondle different configurations of 1911 , before pronouncing that you don't like them , or kinda indifferent to them .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Ok, so I know it's definitely a loaded question, but I'm looking for people's input on a new .45 ACP. I really like the feel of the Glock 21, and the S&W MP 45 ( I have shot the S&W MP 9 which was nice, but not the 45). As always, 1911's are great, and Rock River Arms have some models in the same general price range of the Glock and S&W. This gun would primarily just be for at the range/ in the house, but probably also for when I head out to western MD. Thanks for any input!

If you don’t own a 1911, then ok, sure.

If it’s for serious work, go with something else. 1911 can run great, if you master it and are ok with lower capacity.

FN. my vote. YMMV. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom