• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I was walking my dog last night around 8pm in my neighborhood which has no street lights and is rather rural. I shined my flashlight up the road and into the woods and saw a bunch of eyeballs. I assumed it was deer bedded down since that is pretty usual. Once I got closer I noticed the eyeballs were closer together and reflected yellow/amber instead of the more typical green that I associate more with deer. Once I got about 20 yards away and shined the flashlight again I discovered it was a bunch of foxes! I counted 8 individuals all within a 30 yard radius or so. I have never seen more than 1 at a time. This seemed strange and the foxes were for the most part just sitting still. I thought foxes were more solitary. Anyone ever see so many together?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Never calling anyone's observational skills into doubt, but in some lighting conditions and at a bit of a distance, one could mistake coyotes for foxes. And coyotes definitely congregate like that.

Never calling anyone's observational skills into doubt, but in some lighting conditions and at a bit of a distance, one could mistake coyotes for foxes. And coyotes definitely congregate like that.

that's what I was thinking...foxes tend to be solitary..Yotes will pack up if it's in their collective interest...they might have been considering taking the OPs dog..my uncle has a trail cam of 6 yotes stalking his deer feeder in Allegheny county...

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD

That crossed my mind when I saw how many there were but I had a good bit of time to observe them and was close enough for a good look. definitely fox.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    that's what I was thinking...foxes tend to be solitary..Yotes will pack up if it's in their collective interest...they might have been considering taking the OPs dog..my uncle has a trail cam of 6 yotes stalking his deer feeder in Allegheny county...

That would not have gone well for them. 110lb Maremma sheep dog and me.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Against 6-8 coyotes? Only if you had a gun...

Yes. Half a dozen healthy coyotes used to hunting together, operating at night on their own terms and having spent their whole lives killing other things to eat: much more formidable than many people would think. Good argument for keeping some pepper spray with you on dog walks (also helps with regular ol' stray canines that aren't right in the head, or are out having some pack-style fun). Foxes, unless they're rabid, aren't disposed to that sort of trouble. Much too cautious. Still, if these were indeed foxes, that's an unusual scene. Wondering if that isn't a couple of adults and a bigger than usual crowd of juveniles/yearlings. Depending on the den size, a surprising number will hang out together, socially, for years at a time.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Yes. Half a dozen healthy coyotes used to hunting together, operating at night on their own terms and having spent their whole lives killing other things to eat: much more formidable than many people would think. Good argument for keeping some pepper spray with you on dog walks (also helps with regular ol' stray canines that aren't right in the head, or are out having some pack-style fun). Foxes, unless they're rabid, aren't disposed to that sort of trouble. Much too cautious. Still, if these were indeed foxes, that's an unusual scene. Wondering if that isn't a couple of adults and a bigger than usual crowd of juveniles/yearlings. Depending on the den size, a surprising number will hang out together, socially, for years at a time.

It might be an extended family that has stayed local. it is a good spot for them. lots of woods with adjacent open grassy areas and everyone has chickens. I have also noticed a lack of rabbits this year.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It might be an extended family that has stayed local. it is a good spot for them. lots of woods with adjacent open grassy areas and everyone has chickens. I have also noticed a lack of rabbits this year.

Almost certainly this. Per a couple of State and DNR sites I read, Red fox kits are born in this area between March and May, and will stay with the vixen until Fall. They’ll then disperse and seek out their own territories. Sounds like you saw one big happy family! I’ve seen lots of fox, but never more than 2 at one time.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Not that unusual. I've seen family groups hunting together this time of year. Kind of neat to see 5+ fox work a field together.

Good to know. I thought they were mostly solitary.
    Tonight the spot where they were yesterday had no sign of fox. But there was one at the back end of my yard sitting on some stumps just beyond the fence.

Attachments

• 6DB0CBA4-D90E-471D-8247-950C6045DEDB.jpg
      6DB0CBA4-D90E-471D-8247-950C6045DEDB.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 165

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have three visiting my yard regularly. Lately mostly just two acting like kids stalking each other, chasing each other around.
    They will take naps in the weeds, sun themselves in the middle of the yard.
    I'm assuming mom and pups and she's starting to give them some space.

DHCraig

Aug 21, 2012
    South County
    I can't argue with the more experienced fox hunters here, but after decades of trapping & hunting fox, I've never seen a group like that. I find it telling you equated them to mini-coyotes. Those, even here in semi-suburbia, I have seen over the last ten years for the first time. Never a coyote over the size of a poodle, but plenty of gray foxes every year even at home mid-day in the yard, all bigger than any live coyote seen here. First coyote I saw in SoCo wasn't much bigger than a 10 lb mutt, but was 100% coyote. I hit the brakes to keep from hitting the sucker, stopped mid-road scratching its neck like a dog... Had one the next year with mange (presumably) it was devoid of fur living 3 houses up & beet red leathery skin save a tuft of hair on the tail. It had kits under an old abandoned house nearby, and couldn't have weighed more than 15 lbs. Rabbits all over the next year, more than the last 20+ here despite the 11 year supposed "cycle" with fox population. DNR also tranquilized and removed an over 300 lb black bear that somehow made it to the peninsula, including perusing some friend's back yards. It had to cross 95 &/or 495, rt 50 & rt 2 at minimum to make it. Nothing surprises me anymore after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom