• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    Are there any options out there to build one on an ar15 lower ?
    With the price of 5.56 and most of it being shipped over the pond could this be an option ?
    What about mags ?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'll have to check the magwell, but at first glance it looks like it would accept .223 mags. I have shop drawings and .223 mags, I'll take a look over the weekend and let you know.

If so, you could probably install an upper half, if one could be located. The upper half would have the bolt face correctly configured for the 7.62x39 case head.

I don't know about the buffer weight or spring specs. . . .

The factory 5 round mags have "7.62x39" marked on the follower and have a straight body like a sawed off 20 round .223 mag. The aftermarket mags look like an unholy union between an AR-15 upper body and an AK lower half.

Check these hits:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=7.62x39+AR15&btnG=Google+Search
    http://www.google.com/products?q=7.62x39+AR15&hl=en&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    The cost of 223 is really making me think about buying a .223 bolt action just so I won't shoot it up so fast.

I think the 7.62x39 ARs are too new for me to spend the money on getting one yet, but I have to admit, 7.62x39 is the only rifle caliber I shoot without counting the cost of each round.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Jamie, the (Colt) 7.62x39s have been around since before the '94 ban.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=339330

VNVGunner, I've been poking around a bit and see conversation over at AR-15.com that indicates that the uppers will work with a regular .223 lower, and that several people make them:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=339306

Seems that you can use regular AR mags if you keep them downloaded to 6 rounds or so. Once that point is passed, the increased case taper requires a curved mag.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I once thought of this option, but I was told ARs in 7.62x39 were junk because you can't get magazines to feed properly over 10 rounds. 7.62x39 needs curved magazines, like the AK.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    imho. The x39 would be a good plinker if you can get decent mags. But your taking a excellent platform and a accurate caliber and changing to a inferior (balisticly) round. Basicly will be under a 200 yd rifle.

My ak and rpk arnt very accurate after 200 yds. They lose a lot of steam!
    Wolf .223 and x39 arnt that much differnt in price when you can find it!

My ar's even with wolf can make bowling pins and steel plates dance and wack at 300 yrds.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    All good info here. I'll still keep looking. I think I'LL blow the dust off my
    AK and shoot up some old 7.62 I have here. I keep about 2500 rounds of it and .223 on hand. Just not much .223 around at good prices anymore.

I have no problem hitting what I aim at out to 300 with either of my AR's,
    that's not an issue, just at different things to do with a spare lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom