• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Salt. A buncha salt. Anyone have a good reference for non refrigerated curing/brining of meat? Figure if it was good enough for sailors for hundreds of years it may work in a pinch.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Check these out.

Interesting.

And interesting prices.

Amazon wants $14 for two.

I found 2 for $9. Still expensive to light one fire, unless you REALLY need that fire.

I did find a listing for 12 for $15, but out of stock.

EDIT ---------

Amazon sells a 12 pack for $22. Almost $2 per fire started.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Interesting.

And interesting prices.

Amazon wants $14 for two.

I found 2 for $9. Still expensive to light one fire, unless you REALLY need that fire.

I did find a listing for 12 for $15, but out of stock.

EDIT ---------

Amazon sells a 12 pack for $22. Almost $2 per fire started.

I'd look at them as an after all else fails option.

They'd be a decent safety item to keep in the car, good enough to replace large road flares that people rarely have these days because of the size.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMNKX6M

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge beyond Google of such devices or the correct use of them.

Not in stock right now, it's the "outdoor" (don't know if that really means anything other than it's orange, it's not waterproof) version of the Radex One Geiger counter.

Why? I've been watching a bunch of Youtube videos about nuclear accidents and they are way more common than I ever imagined. People taking apart used medical equipment with hammers and transporting and freely spreading then exposed radioactive elements to the highways, apartments, neighborhoods, for example. There are also a lot of radioactive items from the 60's and earlier such as ceramics and glassware. You can even buy pieces of them as "targets" on Amazon.

I thought I could use an ionizing smoke detector to test it but it really didn't register anything so I bought a test target.

Why this particular model? I know little about them but Radex One seemed to be highly rated for low cost devices. The particular model I chose because it has replaceable (2XAAA) batteries versus built in lithium to go bad. It also has a USB port so you can see the data graphically on a computer. It will also function as a dosimeter keeping track of exposure over time if you want to say take it on a flight with you.

I've also used it to test some items around the house like a new coffee mug I just bought. Disappointingly, it is not "hot".

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    For you Droid guys there is a company call ChargeTab. It’s a single use phone charge made from recycled batteries.

I bought the IPhone version (which i can’t find on Amazon now).

Great for emergencies.

Wife had to use one in the airport when she got stuck there for two days. They are small and last 3 years i think.

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    For you Droid guys there is a company call ChargeTab. It’s a single use phone charge made from recycled batteries.

Great for emergencies.

Wife had to use one in the airport when she got stuck there for two days. They are small and last 3 years i think.
    Nice for camping as well. Obviously if going for several days, many people might just want to keep their phone off. But if one needs to use, the portable solar rechargers are slow (and even if the recharger has its own batteries that you can pre-charge, these need to be recharged after one use).

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter

Great for emergencies.

Thanks for this... ordered some for each glove compartment.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks for this... ordered some for each glove compartment.

Yeah i keep one in my truck

My portable car jump starter will also charge my phone.

I have a huge battery bank that will also jump a vehicle. Probably the size of a VHS. Charges from zero to 100 in like an hour but due to its size i only bring it to work on riot days or on hunting trips. I use it a lot but these little ones are great and handy. You every try getting a plug at an airport? Or on a riot squad line? You can plug the charge tab in and put the whole thing in your pocket without being uncomfortable.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I've been meaning to get one of these.

Which one did you get and why?

I'm mainly concerned about the thing exploding or catching fire. Have you, or anyone else, read any reports on this issue?

HALO is pretty popular.

I have a brand X, and have used to jump the car. Very easy, and as StantonCree said, about the size of a VHS.

No concern of fire, or exploding.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    HALO is pretty popular.

I have a brand X, and have used to jump the car. Very easy, and as StantonCree said, about the size of a VHS.

No concern of fire, or exploding.

Here are some ratings: https://buyersguide.org/jump-starters/t/best?

I got the NOCO Boost Plus GB40 (top rated) on Amazon a couple years ago, and it works great. Holds a charge for a long time and jumps the car easily. Also bought the optional hard case, smaller than a box of kleenex. Amazon has it on sale regularly.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yeah i keep one in my truck

I have a huge battery bank that will also jump a vehicle. Probably the size of a VHS. Charges from zero to 100 in like an hour but due to its size i only bring it to work on riot days or on hunting trips. I use it a lot but these little ones are great and handy. You every try getting a plug at an airport? Or on a riot squad line? You can plug the charge tab in and put the whole thing in your pocket without being uncomfortable.

What's a VHS? :shrug:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017

Great for emergencies.

If you have Dewalt power tool, you can use its battery to charge your phone with it by buying this.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Power-Source-Adapter/50102394

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here are some ratings: https://buyersguide.org/jump-starters/t/best?

I got the NOCO Boost Plus GB40 (top rated) on Amazon a couple years ago, and it works great. Holds a charge for a long time and jumps the car easily. Also bought the optional hard case, smaller than a box of kleenex. Amazon has it on sale regularly.

Yeah, I have this one too. Have successfully jump started two vehicles with it. More convenient than jumper cables, esp if access to the vehicle with the battery issue is limited. We throw it in the glove box when we go camping.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015TKUPIC

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom