• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I don't clean my barrels often but I need to once in a while. Every rod it seems breaks after a few uses. And every bore snake is near impossible to fit in a .223 barrel even if it says it is for .223.

Any suggestions?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Get a one piece Dewey or Pro Shot rod, patches and foaming bore cleaner. I believe both the Dewey and Pro Shot come with jags and slotted patch holders. If they don't get one each and you won't need anything else.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    I have used nothing but boresnakes for over 10 years. The .223 can be tight, I just let enough rope come out the barrel to wrap around my hand then pull the rope with one hand and the rifle with the other. If you put some lube in from the chamber it should move through.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I think we used steel ones in the Army. They tend to overthink somethings, and not think clearly on others.

I have used aluminum ones and sometimes the coated Otis cable. Only thing I’ve ever broke are those flimsy plastic jugs. Not a big fan of boresnakes.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    never bought an actual kit.

i have a thin, plastic-coated one-piece rod for my AR's and rifles, and a thicker one for shotties. dewey i think, the handle is on ball bearings so the rod can twist with the rifling.

then a maybe 12-14" pistol rod with a loop at the end (near me). for rifles, i screw on a chamber brush and twist that around in the chamber. if you get one like the rifle rods above with spinning handles, you can't (easily) twist it in the chamber.

then i get 2 1/2" patches and halve them for most pistols and rifles and quarter them for .223.

bought a set of nickel coated jags.

i generally soak the barrels with butches' bore shine and scrub down everything else while letting it do its thing. then run bore brushes thru the barrels. then patches, in the plastic slots. then patches on the jags to finish. i normally wet the patches a little with spray rem oil, seems they pick up stuff better when wet vs dry.

i also keep a big supply of q-tips, they do great at getting into crevices and corners. and use old toothbrushes for all the scrubbing needs.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Get a one piece Dewey or Pro Shot rod, patches and foaming bore cleaner. I believe both the Dewey and Pro Shot come with jags and slotted patch holders. If they don't get one each and you won't need anything else.

THIS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I got a little Otis kit for the range bag and a Tipton coated fiberglass rod with the ball bearing handle for the work bench. But truth be told I do not go crazy cleaning my rifles over time you’ll probably do more damage to the crown if you over do it.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I believe the one I have is made by Real Avid. Seems to work well enough for me. Although I th8nk you can never go wrong with the USGI rods.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    If you clean regularly Otis kits are awesome. Tipton rod, jag and a brass brush if really dirty.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a nice Tipton kit and one-piece rods. Foaming bore cleaner works great.

HarryLogan

HarryLogan, also known as MesWoore
    Jan 16, 2020
    I don't clean my barrels often but I need to once in a while. Every rod it seems breaks after a few uses. And every bore snake is near impossible to fit in a .223 barrel even if it says it is for .223.

Any suggestions?

I was wondering who your avatar was for a while. I am new to MD. Now I know who he is, unfortunately.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

this.

Tipton makes a carbon fiber one that is nice too.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I like Boretech rods. I like their solvent as well. Ezzox for after cleaning and parts that don't get solvent. Patch jags and tight patches, lintless if you can find them. Slotted plastic jag at the end to push through final patches with oil or Ezzox and to take up any excess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom