• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHAVA1973

Jul 12, 2020
    Hello everyone I just starting in the world of shooting . I am taking private Basic classes from a NRA instructor I have been training shooting with a 22LR Glock what should I continue with the 380 or go straight to the 9mm any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Are you looking at conceal carry or just home protection? 380 is fine for concealed carry 9mm is better for both concealed carry and home protection.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why not just start out with the 9 from the beginning? Regardless......
    The problem with starting out with a .22, you get no real recoil experience. I think instructors teach people the wrong way.
    I start people out with just a basic grip instruction and then just shoot the pistol 100 rounds or so. No aiming. Just shooting. This helps them get over anticipating the shot and to learn exactly how the pistol is going to act. Once you know that, then you don't worry about it and gives you time to pay attention to the other stuff. Recoil control takes no thought process. It's just brute force with grip.
    For someone new to have to deal with Recoil, grip, learning to aim, stance, etc... is waaaay to much to bite off at one time. It's counter productive.

So when you get up to the 9mm, just shoot it and learn what that recoil does so you aren't afraid/concerned about it when you are learning aiming.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Are you looking at conceal carry or just home protection? 380 is fine for concealed carry 9mm is better for both concealed carry and home protection.

He's talking about what to LEARN on next. He thinks he needs to step up in caliber to advance with his learning.

Not asking what's best for self defense.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Hello everyone I just starting in the world of shooting . I am taking private Basic classes from a NRA instructor I have been training shooting with a 22LR Glock what should I continue with the 380 or go straight to the 9mm any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks

I would continue with 22LR to insure you’re getting as much “trigger time” as possible. Better to shoot 500 rounds of 22LR vs 50 rounds of 9mm. Welcome to the forum.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Why not just start out with the 9 from the beginning? Regardless......
    The problem with starting out with a .22, you get no real recoil experience. I think instructors teach people the wrong way.
    I start people out with just a basic grip instruction and then just shoot the pistol 100 rounds or so. No aiming. Just shooting. This helps them get over anticipating the shot and to learn exactly how the pistol is going to act. Once you know that, then you don't worry about it and gives you time to pay attention to the other stuff. Recoil control takes no thought process. It's just brute force with grip.
    For someone new to have to deal with Recoil, grip, learning to aim, stance, etc... is waaaay to much to bite off at one time. It's counter productive.

So when you get up to the 9mm, just shoot it and learn what that recoil does so you aren't afraid/concerned about it when you are learning aiming.

Yup, see it all the time. Gotta reteach people I get in class once recoil is introduced. I like to start with a full size poster board at least, no target or maybe a piece of copier paper just for a reference. Once comfortable things speed up.

TD

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yup, see it all the time. Gotta reteach people I get in class once recoil is introduced. I like to start with a full size poster board at least, no target or maybe a piece of copier paper just for a reference. Once comfortable things speed up.

TD

It blows my mind how many don't realize this. Also, it's my (sort of) introduction to point shooting when talking about self defense. That in general the center mass of all humans is just about the same area when someone is pointing at you. Regardless of height. As long as it's not someone 4'11" in front of someone 6'5". But you get the point.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Your instructor shoot teach you this.
    For self defense I go with the best caliber I am accurate with a follow-up shot.

I can shoot 50 cal, but i'd damn well better hit the first shot. :innocent0

Should only take a couple of mags to feel your comfort zone. But, there are wiser people than me here.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How do you really feel? Lol

I have always enjoyed your direct approach.
    TD

500 rounds of easy is a waste when you step up to something harder. It's starting all over again. Actually, just the opposite. Get started on the loud, hard rounds, and then use the light and easy .22 to refine marksmanship skills.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    500 rounds of easy is a waste when you step up to something harder. It's starting all over again. Actually, just the opposite. Get started on the loud, hard rounds, and then use the light and easy .22 to refine marksmanship skills.

So why not get everyone started with a 12g shooting 3” magnum slugs? I see a lot of new shooters turn away from the sport when they begin fearing the recoil/noise. I think it’s better to build people up to the larger calibers.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So why not get everyone started with a 12g shooting 3” magnum slugs? I see a lot of new shooters turn away from the sport when they begin fearing the recoil/noise. I think it’s better to build people up to the larger calibers.

You don't see where a shotgun is different than a pistol? That's a silly analogy.
    Shotguns cause PAIN. That's probably the only thing to start out weak and work up to. Same thing applies actually. Shooting 500 rounds of 410 is a waste. At some point they have to shoot 12 gauge.

Thought we were talking about pistols what the OP is talking about.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    You don't see where a shotgun is different than a pistol? That's a silly analogy.
    Shotguns cause PAIN. That's probably the only thing to start out weak and work up to. Same thing applies actually. Shooting 500 rounds of 410 is a waste. At some point they have to shoot 12 gauge.

Thought we were talking about pistols what the OP is talking about.

Pain is pain. I’ve shot a SW 340PD, 2 rounds was plenty for me.

In regards to shooting 500 vs 50 it was more referencing price, for a new shooter just getting into this, prices on ammo are sky high.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I think 9 mm is a perfect round to learn on. Just enough recoil to get a feeling for how your grip is effecting your groups. It also makes a nice bang. That being said if you are using hearing protection and the noise still scares the person, maybe they should take up knitting instead.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    .45 is a nice soft round for sure.

In a 1911 it becomes one of the best rounds anywhere. People think BIG caliber, must be hard to handle. Couldn't be farther from the truth. I have only shot with one adult that was so small that a 1911 was a bit too much. The lady (military with a BIG security clearance) is tiny and she didn't have the hand size or strength for it. Everyone else handled it just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom