HQL denied to to Medical Marijuana Card?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LongRanger300

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 14, 2020
    All that is inevitable. But that doesn’t mean you should be allowed to get behind the wheel or operate a firearm while using mind altering chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yet alcohol is perfectly legal and has worse effects than THC. I’m sorry the laws and the BS sense of fear and morality used to sell them to the public don’t make sense. I’ve never used marijuana or THC in any form but I’m for legalization at all levels. Let people self govern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The recreational users are not prohibited. It's not even asked on the HQL application if you partake in recreational use of any drugs that I remember and if a person says no, unless they have been arrested which would disqualify them anyway, there is no proof. Prescription drug abusers are not prohibited, the drunk guy that gets offended at the party next door and goes home and comes back with his registered and legal firearm, not prohibited. The person who beats their spouse and intimidates them daily with the firearm, not prohibited. It is ONLY prohibited to those people IF they have been arrested and charged. There are plenty of legal gun owners who daily commit these offenses.

Bottom line, a person should be made aware when obtaining the MM card that they give up their 2nd or ANY amendment rights for that matter. The card is issued by the Maryland licensing division. The world changed pretty quickly, I had no need to obtain a HQL at the time I obtained my MM card. I also should not be grouped in with drug abusers simply because I choose alternative medication rather than narcotic medications. MM is NOT a narcotic. What are narcotics? Cocaine, Heroin, PCP, OXYCONTIN, PERCOSETS, DILAUDID, MORPHINE etc.
    Technically any user of illegal drugs is prohibited. You just chose to unwittingly out yourself.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Technically any user of illegal drugs is prohibited. You just chose to unwittingly out yourself.

And if you lie on the form, get the firearm, then are later arrested on drug charges, they will probably tack that charge on also.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The point is not if it makes sense or not.

Weed is Federally illegal. Alcohol is not.

That is all that counts.

If you don't agree, get to work and start writing letters, starting campaigns, to get the laws changed.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    We researched the place where 1. We obtain the licensing 2. We went for the HQL class and 3. By searching the internet which stated "habitual unlawful use" it did not state FEDERAL LEVEL, it did not say IF YOU HAVE YOUR MM CARD ITS A NO. You think whatever you want quite frankly I don't really care. WE do and have done EVERYTHING by the book our entire lives....and we certainly wouldn't waste money during these times for shits and giggles.

You're just a bit too strident to be nice to. YOU FAILED TO DO BASIC RESEARCH! Here's a link that would have given you the answer you needed within 30 seconds. Second link to the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission has the answer plain as day. One would think someone with the MM card would be smart enough to check there but then again maybe not.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=owYsX7XIHsexggfJgY_gAg&q=medical+marijuana+card+and+firearms+in+md&oq=medical+marijuana+card+and+firearms+in+md&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeOgIIADoGCAAQFhAeUKuJAVjglwFg4J4BaABwAHgAgAFhiAHdBJIBATeYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj1pbHC2IbrAhXHmOAKHcnAAywQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Why are people here supporting gun restrictions?

I don't believe anyone is supporting , it is just a fact that it sucks that any restrictions are in place at all .
    But if there is you have to follow the law or break the law . It is a personal choice a person has to make .

Until some laws can be expanded or reduced i know of no way to ignore the main issue or pretend it does not exist .

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Why are people here supporting gun restrictions?
    Providing commentary on current laws, passed by our representative legislators in our current Constitutional Republic is not "supporting gun restrictions". It is pointing out the facts at play in the arena and providing commentary on how others may get involved to help turn the tide.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    My issue is if Maryland can ignore federal law with regards to possession of Marijuana why are they enforcing federal law regarding Marijuana and firearms. Shouldn’t this be an issue under the equal protection clause?

OldBay

Apr 26, 2020
    MD
    This issue was covered in my HQL class. My instructor took the time to review the application.

I have friends that owned handguns prior to 2013 and have since obtained a MM...what do they do?

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    This issue was covered in my HQL class. My instructor took the time to review the application.

I have friends that owned handguns prior to 2013 and have since obtained a MM...what do they do?

Answer the knock on the door.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    It’s a tough call. There ARE some people that shouldn’t own guns. All but the most radical here would agree to that.
    Spoken like a true statist.

Color me radical, but if you're free to walk the streets, you're free to own a gun.

If you get a snootful, or a hot load, and you act poorly with a gun, then you're no longer free to walk the streets.

Yes, some people may get hurt, but freedom can be a dangerous thing.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    It’s a tough call. There ARE some people that shouldn’t own guns. All but the most radical here would agree to that. And those under the influence of mind altering chemicals are probably some of them. If you’re in an altered state, it seems possible that you may make a bad decision. And if said bad decision involves a firearm, really bad things can happen. If one is a *regular user* (habitual?) of mind altering substances, that possibility seems much more likely than if one is not a regular user.
    And we can’t say bad things will never happen, because in an altered state, people sometimes make bad decisions. That’s sort of the definition of being in a mind altered state. So the reasoning actually makes sense. I’m not discussing whether there are valid medical uses for mind altering chemicals. But even if you’re using them medically, if you’re a regular user of them (or perceived to be) bad decisions can happen and in those times owning a gun doesn’t seem to be the safe play. We can argue whether this idea conflicts with a literal reading of the 2A (it does). But we have lots of laws that bump into each other. We have courts to rule on the overlaps. But I think it’s reasonable that some people are deemed prohibited from owning and that regular users of mind altering substances are among those prohibited - regardless of why those substances are being used. And just to be clear, I don’t think it’s reasonable that every citizen of a state is arbitrarily prohibited from owning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe we should prohibit people who don't sleep 7-9 hours every night? You know, regular sleep deprivation alters ones mind state. Driving a car in DMV traffic makes some people angry, maybe if you work more then 30 miles from your home you shouldn't own a firearm, because the Capitol beltway is mind altering. You know?

It is a slippery slope.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Exactly and had we been told 1. when we applied for the MM license that we would lose our 2nd amendment rights we may not have applied and 2. had we been told when we initially applied, during or after our HQL class, we would not have wasted $640.00!

One has to stay informed when one 2A's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom