• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I just built an AR in 6.8 to use as a hunting rifle now that I have a place I can do some hunting during firearms season w/ a rifle. Previously just used my Savage 220 in shotgun areas. With MD now allowing straight cased cartridges state wide, I'm torn on my next purchase. I was all set to pickup a lever action 30-30, but now I'm considering the 45-70 again. Basically I settled on the 30-30 as it's cheaper and easier to shoot, as I wasn't planning on using it to hunt.

I do still hunt in shotgun only areas as well, so a 45-70 would now get some use. But opening up that can of worms got me thinking to still pick up the 30-30 and just grab a 450 Bushmaster upper... While previously not having longer range hunting areas, I do have use of a farm with open fields in previous shotgun only area, making me lean towards getting a straight walled gun.

with a baby on the way I'm kidding myself if I think I'll be running off to St. Mary's county this year to go hunting. Still, what do yall think. Get a 450 upper and a 30-30 lever to shoot for fun or just man up and get the 45-70?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Shee-it! We're using our 220s in Fredneck Co. We really aren't pulling any shots longer than 150 or so...

I'm having a hard time remembering any deer that I shot with it that didn't die within eyesight.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I thought about your delima , and came up with equally convincing case either way . If you handload either .450 or .45-70 is quasi affordable , if you don't they're both expensive .

I know which way I'd go , but that's just my preferences .

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    45/70 and 450 B are cheap compared to decent sabots, lol.

I have all three. I’d you like semi auto, get an ar and the bushmaster. If you like lever guns, get the 45/70.

The 45/70 pushes a 325 grain bullet at 1859fps in my marlin.

The 450 bush pushes a 250 grain bullet at 2160 FPS.

Both are not only more accurate than my 220 but also easy to shoot accurately. The 220 is very sensitive to how tightly it is held.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    They are all good choices, make a 3 year plan to own them all! I think in the current environment 450 and 45-70 have the legal hunting advantage. I think what it might come down to is what can you get your hands on ammo wise. My goto factory ammo dealer (sgammor) has a limited selection of both in stock and is only selling full cases.

I personally have all three and this year I will be hunting with a suppressed supersonic 1895 in 45-70. In theory this is one of the few rifle cartridges that can legally take deer subsonic by using hard cast bullets over 500gr. I have not had time to workup a subsonic load, but it should be possible as long as you have a strong shoulder. It is also super easy to reload for.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    45/70 and 450 B are cheap compared to decent sabots, lol.

I have all three. I’d you like semi auto, get an ar and the bushmaster. If you like lever guns, get the 45/70.

The 45/70 pushes a 325 grain bullet at 1859fps in my marlin.

The 450 bush pushes a 250 grain bullet at 2160 FPS.

Both are not only more accurate than my 220 but also easy to shoot accurately. The 220 is very sensitive to how tightly it is held.
    My 220 does this, day in and day out...
    Four cold bore shots @100 yards.

Attachments

• 220.jpg
      220.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 426

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    My 220 does this, day in and day out...
    Four cold bore shots @100 yards.

If mine did that I probably wouldn’t have the 450. Mine will do 2” but I have to be extremely consistent with stock pressure to get those groups.
    a1f74f86229f82545897b8f4e6ca8d02.jpg

This is ammo it likes.

f96de7fcd04fb66edb6fe9227ff5a89f.jpg

This is ammo it doesn’t like. There are no called fliers and I was not adjusting the scope here. Five shots, all the same point of aim.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    since I love changing my mind, I'm now also throwing 350 legend into the mix. Leaning towards getting the lever in 30-30 now and adding either a 350 or 450 next year. This year I'll stick with the savage 220 for hunting in shotgun areas.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Pulled the trigger on a glfa 450 upper. Will be looking for a Henry side gate in 30-30 next. If I wasn't spending the money on the Henry, I'd probably have gotten a Savage Axis in 450 instead.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    They are all good choices, make a 3 year plan to own them all! I think in the current environment 450 and 45-70 have the legal hunting advantage. I think what it might come down to is what can you get your hands on ammo wise. My goto factory ammo dealer (sgammor) has a limited selection of both in stock and is only selling full cases.

I personally have all three and this year I will be hunting with a suppressed supersonic 1895 in 45-70. In theory this is one of the few rifle cartridges that can legally take deer subsonic by using hard cast bullets over 500gr. I have not had time to workup a subsonic load, but it should be possible as long as you have a strong shoulder. It is also super easy to reload for.

One only needs a 375gr bullet at 1000fps to make the 800ft-lb minimum. Hornady makes a nice subsonic load if you can find it. And I sure hope you do have enough shoulder to handle what is the equivalent of barely more than a 22 hornet re: muzzle energy :lol2:

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Part of it is going to depend on what you can find or build in the next couple months and personal preference. If I hadn't needed to stick to a budget I would have gotten a 45/70. Since I do need to, I ended up with a Savage Axis in 350 Legend. Personally, I do have an AR set up for varmints, but I'm not a big fan of them so building something was out of the question (and budget since I don't want to swap out uppers on the one I have).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom