• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    My son is a gunners mate 3rd class (GM3) in the Coast Guard and he is happy with the choice. He says it's easy to learn, shoot well, and maintain; survives well in salt water; and if it goes overboard the USCG is only out about $300.

That’s a small life insurance policy!

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    My son is a gunners mate 3rd class (GM3) in the Coast Guard and he is happy with the choice. He says it's easy to learn, shoot well, and maintain; survives well in salt water; and if it goes overboard the USCG is only out about $300.

Would this count as lost in a boating accident?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Consistent trigger press from shot to shot, less external stuff that can cause a malfunction, generally lower bore axis for reduced muzzle flip, faster lock time, passive safeties rather than manual...etc.

Yeah. Because countless members of agencies with 229s have had all kinds of issues.

You do know NONE of those are issue or reasons they changed.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Happy to hear of that choice. I much prefer Glock over the P320 platform.

While we're on the subject of sidearm choice, i recently spoke to a friend of a friend who is an active duty Green Beret stationed at Ft Benning and he mentioned that many of them have been given Taurus 45acp polymer framed pistols. He wasn't fond of them. This is the first I have heard though, of Taurus making it's way anywhere in the US military. He couldn't recall the model. Anyone else heard of this?
    What unit is your friend at?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I wonder if in the CG, they have to tear down the weapon further and more often than other services?
    In other words, do they tear them down and pull apart the upper assembly as well periodically?
    And is that done by one of a few individuals per station/ship or the individual?

When I tear apart my salt water reels in the winter, I wonder how the salt/oil combo in a pistol/rifle comes into play for them.

I don't have a sig so I can't tell what advantages would be for one over the other for resisting salt water ingress and tear down/cleaning
    Once learning so, I find the Glock complete upper tear down pretty straight forward that I don't need to go back to youtube each time (unlike say a Ruger 22/44 where I have to do it each time)

Yes tear everything down to parade rest when I was in as far as the Officers no the GM did the work.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    So... what does the USCG do with decomissioned sidearms?

Does this mean more P229s with lots of holster wear or rack time, and little actual use on the used market?

I may or may not have one of those from Lou45... from some other agency obviously. :innocent0

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So... what does the USCG do with decomissioned sidearms?

Does this mean more P229s with lots of holster wear or rack time, and little actual use on the used market?

I may or may not have one of those from Lou45... from some other agency obviously. :innocent0

Probably the same as every other DHS agency. Nothing. They don't want those pistols on the outside world possibly being used to kill someone.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yeah. Because countless members of agencies with 229s have had all kinds of issues.

You do know NONE of those are issue or reasons they changed.

The question I was responding to was him not getting why people are in to striker fired pistols. I listed some of the good things about them people like. Your ravens jersey in the picture does say "glock 19" right?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The question I was responding to was him not getting why people are in to striker fired pistols. I listed some of the good things about them people like. Your ravens jersey in the picture does say "glock 19" right?
    Because No one knows HK VP9. That wouldn't work anyway.

I rocked a 229 better than any Glock.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Because No one knows HK VP9. That wouldn't work anyway.

I rocked a 229 better than any Glock.

:lol:

Not saying sigs aren't good guns. One of the first handguns I spent time on was alucard's german sig 220. I've since shot a bunch and even beat up some steel on the woods walk at delta with a little mosquito. In general though, those attributes I gave for striker fired guns are positives. I do still need to shoot a vp9 though. They seem to get solid reviews and remind me a bit of my p99.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Consistent trigger press from shot to shot, less external stuff that can cause a malfunction, generally lower bore axis for reduced muzzle flip, faster lock time, passive safeties rather than manual...etc.

Add to that the fact that Glocks in particular are super easy to work on and customize, and there's like a bazillion aftermarket accessories available, and you've got a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom