• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I wonder if in the CG, they have to tear down the weapon further and more often than other services?
    In other words, do they tear them down and pull apart the upper assembly as well periodically?
    And is that done by one of a few individuals per station/ship or the individual?

When I tear apart my salt water reels in the winter, I wonder how the salt/oil combo in a pistol/rifle comes into play for them.

I don't have a sig so I can't tell what advantages would be for one over the other for resisting salt water ingress and tear down/cleaning
    Once learning so, I find the Glock complete upper tear down pretty straight forward that I don't need to go back to youtube each time (unlike say a Ruger 22/44 where I have to do it each time)

If your reel doesn't work after you fiddle-fart with it you can always stop at McDonald's to get a Filet-O-Fish. When your firearm doesn't go click-bang after you fiddle-fart with it you will be delivered to a funeral home.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I see a few peg legged sailors in the Coast Guard future.

No more so than double action revolvers. I'm sure nobody keeps a record of such things, but I doubt there's been a major surge in negligent discharges in the 30 years that cops have used Glocks.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    No more so than double action revolvers. I'm sure nobody keeps a record of such things, but I doubt there's been a major surge in negligent discharges in the 30 years that cops have used Glocks.

Well, you have to give the NYPD some credit as one of the first LEAs that switched to the G17/19. Their sausage and butter fingers did motivate Gaston&Co to create one of the first Glock major mods, the New York Trigger.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , the history of the NY Trigger(s) is a bit more complex .

Meanwhile , Blaster brought up the previous USCG pistol in a discussion of the brand new USCG pistol , more relevant than civillian aftermarket mods and do dads .

My guesses as to why :

1. Cheaper , particularly piggybacking existing major contract .

2. They can simply point to DHS's. Selection process and say " Yeah, what those guys said " instead of doing their own independent evaluations and bid solicitation .

3. The G19 doesn't suck .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well , the history of the NY Trigger(s) is a bit more complex .

Meanwhile , Blaster brought up the previous USCG pistol in a discussion of the brand new USCG pistol , more relevant than civillian aftermarket mods and do dads .

My guesses as to why :

1. Cheaper , particularly piggybacking existing major contract .

2. They can simply point to DHS's. Selection process and say " Yeah, what those guys said " instead of doing their own independent evaluations and bid solicitation .

3. The G19 doesn't suck .

Piggy backing off USSS and FAMS

One can't not mention the NYPD trigger while also using FMJ ammo for a long time because it was "safer".

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Piggy backing off USSS and FAMS

One can't not mention the NYPD trigger while also using FMJ ammo for a long time because it was "safer".

Safer when the NYPD used their trigger finger to pull the pistol out of the holster and ventilated the legs rather than a little hole going in and a huge hole going out?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    So... what does the USCG do with decomissioned sidearms?

Does this mean more P229s with lots of holster wear or rack time, and little actual use on the used market?

I may or may not have one of those from Lou45... from some other agency obviously. :innocent0

They turn them over for destruction, they did this when we switched from 1911 APC 45 to the Berettas. They probably will do the same thing. Back in the early 70s the Army allowed you to put in a bid and buy the 1911s. A friend was an armorer at Aberdeen, and i ended up with a brand new one still sealed for 50 bucks. I was able to use it as my boarding side arm while carrying the shot gun. I ended up trading it for a brand new Ruger M77 30-06 back in 1976. Looking back should of kept it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    They turn them over for destruction, they did this when we switched from 1911 APC 45 to the Berettas. They probably will do the same thing. Back in the early 70s the Army allowed you to put in a bid and buy the 1911s. A friend was an armorer at Aberdeen, and i ended up with a brand new one still sealed for 50 bucks. I was able to use it as my boarding side arm while carrying the shot gun. I ended up trading it for a brand new Ruger M77 30-06 back in 1976. Looking back should of kept it.
    I think Obama put the kabash on purchasing or reselling surplus weapons. He wanted to make the streets safer.
    Believe me, I would love to have purchased my first FAM 229.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I think Obama put the kabash on purchasing or reselling surplus weapons. He wanted to make the streets safer.
    Believe me, I would love to have purchased my first FAM 229.

The end of the resale of gov surplus weapons started with Carter. Can't remember the exact Federal law. I remember when the CG decommissioned ships and they were sold for scrap by GSA. The only thing that was removed was the breach block on the large guns. A good machinist could make a new one and you would have a 3"-50 that was operational. Later on they cut up the barrels on the big guns. DHS has different rules for weapon disposal than the DOT did. The FBI use to be able to keep their service weapon when they retired. Also, that may not be the case now.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The end of the resale of gov surplus weapons started with Carter. Can't remember the exact Federal law. I remember when the CG decommissioned ships and they were sold for scrap by GSA. The only thing that was removed was the breach block on the large guns. A good machinist could make a new one and you would have a 3"-50 that was operational. Later on they cut up the barrels on the big guns. DHS has different rules for weapon disposal than the DOT did. The FBI use to be able to keep their service weapon when they retired. Also, that may not be the case now.
    I think the Treasury Department plays by a whole different set of rules.

That has changed and Feds are no longer allowed to purchase their duty weapon when they retire. However, there was legislation H.R. 4789 ( To allow Federal law enforcement officers to purchase retired service weapons, and for other purposes)introduced that would allow federal agents to purchase retired handguns (kind of a reversal there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom