• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    Built a SBR, 10.05 DD barrel, and Gas block. I used a pig tail gass tube, it coils arouind the barrel. RRA lower, standard buffer and spring, and a Pig on it.
    I shot the gun yesterday, It would shoot 3 rounds, then not load. it did this on and off. After spraying rem oil and gettingh eveything lubed up I managed to get it to shoot too mags completely. This is a new build, so I was just braking it in. I di notice the Feed ramps were full of crud and this could be part of the problem. Would polishing thje ramps help. Also I was shooting UMC ammo. On another note I also shot My Noveske Build, it ran flwlessly, even the 100 round drum. It made me smile.
    Any Ideas on the SBR.
    JW

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Could be several things. First thing I would do is remove the barrel, polish your feed ramps, and reinstall. After that, double check your gas block installation to ensure correct alignment with the gas port in the barrel. Just for peace of mind (what I usually do when building something anyway), polish the bottom of your bolt carrier and at least the three bottom bolt lugs. If your block is properly aligned and there are no leaks (which, since you have already built guns, I'm sure you would notice) you should have enough gas with the kx3 on there.

Without seeing the issue present itself it is hard to say. My bet is there is drag somewhere in the system. short ARs are notorious for problems. I had to custom-fabricate a muzzle device (basically a booster) to get my boss's 9" POF gas piston gun to run right in full auto (and it is only happy running FAST).

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    10.5 & 11.5" guns run better with H or H2 buffers.

Ditch the pig tail gas give as well. It's snake oil, standard carbine gas tube is all you need.

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    10.5 & 11.5" guns run better with H or H2 buffers.

Ditch the pig tail gas give as well. It's snake oil, standard carbine gas tube is all you need.

This. Couldn't have said it better myself. Do you have an M16 BCG?

I wouldn't worry about polishing the feed ramps unless they were machined poorly (doubtful on a DD barrel assembly but possible).

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    Thanks for the replys!! I am going to try all of the above. This was my first complete build, so I am pleased it worked. I am going to try a heavy buffer and spring, clean everything and polish the feed ramps. I do have a M16 BCG, so I will try that as well.
    Thanks, for your help.
    JW

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    The heavier buffer should cure your problems. You say a DD gas block, is it a low profile set screw one or standard taper pin front sight post ?

Whatever you do, don't allow anyone to mess with the gas port size. DD has done the research they know what port sizes to use on 10.5" guns. It doesn't need opening up.

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    Its a Low profile gas block. Thats the last thing I want to do, is monkey withthe barrel. The buffer should be here early next week.
    JW

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    I would love to, but I have the first tuna charter of my season on Sunday and my rig needs a little tlc. Thanks foir the Offer.
    JW

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    Ok,
    The Buffer and spring are in my hands as well as a M16 FA Bolt. I did take the gun apart and found the gas block off center a ch. I also polished the feed ramps. So my next trip to the farm, we shall see.
    Thanks for the help.
    JW

BrandonThibeault

Feb 6, 2011
    Parkville
    is the ammo .223 or 5.56. sometimes shorties need the higher pressure of the 5.56 to cycle vs the lower pressure of .223. I think the rem umc is .223 which is fine in 16 inch plus guns. try some federal 5.56 and see if this helps correct the issue.

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    Ok,
    Sorry for thatlate update, been busy. I now have my SBR running and running very well. I changed out the Bolt carrier with a FA from DD, Put in one of Slashes heavy buffers and wolff spring , changed the spring on the extractor and put in the d-ring as well. I shot the gun monday, it ran and ran and ran, no more problems.
    Thanks for your help!!!!!!:party29:
    JW

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom