• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    I alwys wanted a broom handle, Bidding on one on GB professionally refurburished and converted to 9MM. Anyone have any insight to these guns?
    JW

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I alwys wanted a broom handle, Bidding on one on GB professionally refurburished and converted to 9MM. Anyone have any insight to these guns?
    JW

I dont know mucha bout them but would be hesitent to buy one that was converted. (and by who)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    han-solo-blaster.jpg

han%20solo%20blaster-320-640-240-480.jpg

Han Solo had one that was professionally converted. :D

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    You don't want a blaster... you'd rather have a lightsaber... an elegant weapon for a more civilized age...

Attachments

• not-the-droids-youre-looking-for.jpg
      not-the-droids-youre-looking-for.jpg
      13.9 KB · Views: 286

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Who is the original manufacturer? Is the gun a recent import, say from the mid eighties to early nineties and import marked by the importer? If so, who is the importer?

I ask these questions 'cause an outfit in CA was refurbishing these things from poor condition guns about 20 to 25 years ago (forget the name of the company) and they were not very good as far as funtion. They didn't look bad, actually somewhat quite nice.

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    A ton of them came in from I think China back in the eighties. We got in five of the "good condition" ones. Our gunsmith who was great could not build one funtional pistol from all five.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    terryhimself said:
    A ton of them came in from I think China back in the eighties. We got in five of the "good condition" ones. Our gunsmith who was great could not build one funtional pistol from all five.

That's too bad. They are really cool looking. I wonder if I can find one that has been decommissioned. I'm not too worried about shooting one.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Lou's memory is good. I bought one of the Chinese imports that a company refurbished and bored out from 7.65 to 9mm (think it was EBCO). They were uber rough and needed some kind of refinishing just to be sales worthy. Most had bores that were utterly gone, hence the 9mm conversion.
    Fed Ord went a different route and installed new barrels. They would cut off the old barrel, leaving about 1" of stub, then thread the stub to take a new barrel and blend the two together for a clean seam. If you look closely at the GB auction photos you can see a line in the barrel about 1" ahead of the front of the mag housing. By all accounts Fed Ord did excellent work and this particular gun has a new barrel that should last a lifetime.
    I took a photo of the right side of my receiver so you could see just how much metal they had to remove to get rid of the worst of the pitting (most of the lettering on the right side is gone). And you can still see minor pitting in the recessed areas. Lord knows what these looked like when they first got here. The Fed Ord piece looks prettier than mine for sure.
    Out of the box mine wouldn't function but I replaced all the springs and the firing pin (the original broke just looking at it) and now have a functional broomhandle. They're cool to shoot w. the shoulder stock. Remember shooting mine at the AGC pistol range w. about a half dozen other shooters. At some point, while the line was hot, I noticed that I was the only one shooting. I glanced to my right and left and saw that everyone had stopped and was watching me hammer away with brass pounding the tin roof (C96s eject upwards like a Luger). A fun gun, just keep the web of your hand away from that hammer!

Attachments

• IMGP5682.JPG
      IMGP5682.JPG
      31.5 KB · Views: 246
    • IMGP5683.JPG
      IMGP5683.JPG
      48.1 KB · Views: 246

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Does the stock make it a SBR?
    The ATF makes exceptions for pistols that originally sported shoulder stocks (C96s, Lugers, High Powers, etc). For instance, it's legal to have an original shoulder stock on an artillery Luger because the arty was usually issued with a stock. It can be a bit of a minefield, if only because the ATF has been less than consistent in rulings (this is esp true for High Powers).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    mawkie said:
    The ATF makes exceptions for pistols that originally sported shoulder stocks (C96s, Lugers, High Powers, etc). For instance, it's legal to have an original shoulder stock on an artillery Luger because the arty was usually issued with a stock. It can be a bit of a minefield, if only because the ATF has been less than consistent in rulings (this is esp true for High Powers).

Interesting. Thank you for the answer.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    They are really neat, historic pistols. A lot of the later production models went to China. One thing to be wary of with these is that the Chinese apparently manufactured some at home. The Chinese went to great lengths when making the copies, including the German text and proofs. These copies are a mixed bag as far as quality (and therefore safety) is concerned.

I would make sure that all of the springs have been recently replaced or verified, especially if this a new conversion to 9 mm. The C-96 has a recoil spring, but also uses the hammer spring as well to manage the recoil forces. Wolff Gunsprings has a spring kit for the C-96.

I would also examine the bolt stop closely before firing.

If you win the auction, try to get some stripper clips for the C-96. It's a real PITA to load up without the strippers. Also, getting certain parts for these guns can be difficult. They were first made in the end of the 19th Century and went through several revisions before production finally ceased on the eve of the greatest conflict known to man. If you lose or break a part, be prepared to search and pay handsomely for it.

They are a blast to shoot, and always turn heads at the range. Like the Luger and 1911, they were used in both World Wars.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    the broomhandle mauser is my #1 favorite gun.

dont have one yet, i havent been able to swing the purchase of a nice one, i could probably scrape enough to get a rough one, but i really want a decent one, not an ultra collectible one, but not a rough one, one i can look at, but am not afraid to shoot.

i just find the looks, the history, the function, all to be awesome, its so beautifully made, and have such character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom