• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    There is a member in my club that has/had a Chinese one. It always had problem. The best one was it would go full auto sometimes. Boy that was scarey!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I will say that after I installed new springs (Wolff is the way to go, worked perfectly in mine) my C96 has been very reliable. Much more so than my Luger or Lahti, which have that steep grip angle which makes feeding so much more difficult. Years ago I bought a case of Norinco 9mm ball and the C96 loved it. If I went back in time and was serving in the German Army I would have wanted a C96 as my sidearm, no hesitation whatsoever.
    You do need stripper clips to load, I've never tried to load the magazine manually and don't think I would want to. And while not as fast on reload as a removable magazine it's quicker than you would think. About the same as using a period speedloader like the British Prideaux for the Webley revolvers. The Steyr Hahn M1911 is the same way. You'd pull your hair out loading w.o. a stripper. That's another pistol that I had to seriously refurb with all new springs and extractor before it was reliable. Like my C96 it was a badly pitted import that was buffed hard and reblued by the importer but I wanted a shooter and for $200 plus about another $50 for extractor and springs I got a nice shooter.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    There is a member in my club that has/had a Chinese one. It always had problem. The best one was it would go full auto sometimes. Boy that was scarey!

Had to re-cut the sear and hammer notch on my C96 when I first got it because it was sketchy during dry fire testing. I'm glad I didn't test with live ammo 'cause it would have been heart stopping for sure.
    Also had to do some minor fitting to the safety to get it to function reliably. That's the one down side to the earlier C96s, the safety design. They later came out with the NS or new safety version (model 711) which ended the safety problems.
    There's a nice site with a fantastic timeline of the C96 development and production. You'll be surprised at all the changes and variations that exist in the C96 line.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Would love to have an Astra M900, a close cousin to the C96. Everyone used to give the Japanese a hard time over copying Western designs. In the firearm business I think that crown goes to the Spanish.

Attachments

• 2039Broom1_PG.jpg
      2039Broom1_PG.jpg
      15 KB · Views: 89

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    When I was in China, I noticed that whenever they had one of their Sino-Japanese War Soap Opera's on tv, they were always carrying broomhandles. I didnt realize that so many of them were shipped of to China. Guess you learn something every day

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Lou's memory is good. I bought one of the Chinese imports that a company refurbished and bored out from 7.65 to 9mm (think it was EBCO). They were uber rough and needed some kind of refinishing just to be sales worthy. Most had bores that were utterly gone, hence the 9mm conversion.
    Fed Ord went a different route and installed new barrels. They would cut off the old barrel, leaving about 1" of stub, then thread the stub to take a new barrel and blend the two together for a clean seam. If you look closely at the GB auction photos you can see a line in the barrel about 1" ahead of the front of the mag housing. By all accounts Fed Ord did excellent work and this particular gun has a new barrel that should last a lifetime.
    I took a photo of the right side of my receiver so you could see just how much metal they had to remove to get rid of the worst of the pitting (most of the lettering on the right side is gone). And you can still see minor pitting in the recessed areas. Lord knows what these looked like when they first got here. The Fed Ord piece looks prettier than mine for sure.
    Out of the box mine wouldn't function but I replaced all the springs and the firing pin (the original broke just looking at it) and now have a functional broomhandle. They're cool to shoot w. the shoulder stock. Remember shooting mine at the AGC pistol range w. about a half dozen other shooters. At some point, while the line was hot, I noticed that I was the only one shooting. I glanced to my right and left and saw that everyone had stopped and was watching me hammer away with brass pounding the tin roof (C96s eject upwards like a Luger). A fun gun, just keep the web of your hand away from that hammer!

i would love to have that...really would...
    1836232-red9_super.jpg

hehe, its the Red9 from resident evil =P so it already has a zombie killing pedigree. ;)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Here's your zombie killer! The Model 712 Schnellfeuer. Detachable 20 rd mag, select fire. One bad ass pistol!

Attachments

• SCHNELLFEUER.jpg
      SCHNELLFEUER.jpg
      4.9 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads