• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    Tell me what buffer to purchase for this rifle.
    20" SS, heavy barrel
    PRS stock
    I shoot with right hand on pistol grip and left hand, tucked under
    on the rear monopod. I'm trying to tame down recoil to stay on target better.
    Any input will help decide the right buffer.

ar 001.JPG

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    After quite a few rounds out of mine now, I find very little recoil with the hydraulic one VNV. That hubble telescope you have mounted on there must show alot of heart beat when you have it cranked up.:D

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    VNVGunner,

Do you feel like there is a lot of recoil with that gun? We are talking 5.56/.223 here and there shouldn't be an issue. Like 3rdRcn said, that gun is over scoped so you may think you have an issue if magnification is dialed all the way up. Are you having trouble regaining sight picture after a shot? If yes, it is probably a result of magnification and field of view vs. recoil. I like the Enidine and run them in my guns, but the real reason for them is use in full-auto guns as they assist in cyclic rate reduction and stop bolt bounce (supposedly). I like them because you don't get the "poing" effect from the AR buffer in a semi gun. It is admittedly a pricey fix for "boing." Kevin

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    VNVGunner,

Do you feel like there is a lot of recoil with that gun? We are talking 5.56/.223 here and there shouldn't be an issue. Like 3rdRcn said, that gun is over scoped so you may think you have an issue if magnification is dialed all the way up. Are you having trouble regaining sight picture after a shot? If yes, it is probably a result of magnification and field of view vs. recoil. I like the Enidine and run them in my guns, but the real reason for them is use in full-auto guns as they assist in cyclic rate reduction and stop bolt bounce (supposedly). I like them because you don't get the "poing" effect from the AR buffer in a semi gun. It is admittedly a pricey fix for "boing." Kevin

So I'm not the only one who is annoyed by the "boing"? Although I prefer to refer to it at "spraung"

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    VNVGunner,

I run that scope (6.5-20 x 44) on about 10x when shooting out to 200.
    If you will go back and read what I said about my shooting style ,or lack of,
    is the reason for looking to tame some of the barrel movement. I need to get back on target
    quicker. My thinking is that a heavier bufer will tame some recoil movement
    of the weapon due to my unorthadox weapon hold. I don't care about the noise as I don't hear all that well anyways. :) When I shoot in a normal hold
    as others do, I have no problem. I just have an old bench rest shooting habit that is hard to get away from. The rifle shoots dead on at 200 with good ammo.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have shot a couple rifles with the endine buffer, the recoil didn't feel all that much lighter, only smoother, to me at least. I put a thin coat of grease in the buffer tubes of my AR's, and it feels almost the same, no "sproing" sound, and $1 will buy enough for a dozen rifles. The best way to cut recoil is with a suppressor, or brake. For my last build, I got a 14.5" bushy barrel with the "double Y" comp pinned and welded to make it a non-sbr 16.25", and while it is fairly loud, there is almost no recoil or muzzle rise at all. It kicks less than my 10/22, and you can basically keep pulling the trigger as fast as you can, and watch holes start to tear the center out of a 100yd target, the EOtech recticle barely moves, just make sure the folks in the lane next to you have a good set of ears on.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I have shot a couple rifles with the endine buffer, the recoil didn't feel all that much lighter, only smoother, to me at least. I put a thin coat of grease in the buffer tubes of my AR's, and it feels almost the same, no "sproing" sound, and $1 will buy enough for a dozen rifles. The best way to cut recoil is with a suppressor, or brake. For my last build, I got a 14.5" bushy barrel with the "double Y" comp pinned and welded to make it a non-sbr 16.25", and while it is fairly loud, there is almost no recoil or muzzle rise at all. It kicks less than my 10/22, and you can basically keep pulling the trigger as fast as you can, and watch holes start to tear the center out of a 100yd target, the EOtech recticle barely moves, just make sure the folks in the lane next to you have a good set of ears on.

If you want to try the compensator route, some suggestions are as follows:

DNTC FSC 556 comp- these are pretty effective according to most I've talked to that have them. Google it. There are quite a few that carry them. I think Larue is carrying the new model that is a combo comp and flash suppressor. It looks like a cross between their standard comp and a Smith Enterprises Vortex.

Surefire- they make excellent comps and flash suppressors that are compatible with their 556 sound suppressor line-up. I run the 512 model on my POF 16" Recon. These are outstanding comp/flash suppressors and they are very nicely designed.

Michulek Comp- has a great reputation. Brownells has them.

Again, I think you can alleviate some of the problem by playing with your magnification. It may be that your scope doesn't have a wide FOV. I know I have that problem with my 4x32 ACOG when engaging targets from the standing unsupported. All of the above will also run you about the same as an Enidine...around $85-100. As quoted above, all tend to be "bad neighbors" on the range. I picked up a Noveske KXS (Bulgarian Krink-style) comp for one of my SBRs as it directs the blast and noise downrange vs. at the neighbors, but it looks funky on anything with a longer barrel. Kevin

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Sorry, just looked at your pic again and the above options are not going to work with your bull barrel. Even if threaded, they would be too narrow. I guess you can try porting it, but that would be even pricier. I guess a buffer might be your next step, but not sure it is going to solve your issue.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Sorry, just looked at your pic again and the above options are not going to work with your bull barrel. Even if threaded, they would be too narrow. I guess you can try porting it, but that would be even pricier. I guess a buffer might be your next step, but not sure it is going to solve your issue.

they can make you one, and they can machine the barrel to match. I have been looking into building a 22" or 24"BBL 260rem AR-10 next, and plan to use one of their tactical comps, or possibly a barrel . JP rifles

the M-16 in this video sums it up fairly well, a good comp and a load matched to it can practically eliminate recoil, but as you can see, standing next to one is not fun.
    video

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom