• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jehu

May 23, 2005
    Not to offend anyone accross the bay but life over there is becoming so intolerable;ie crime, traffic, regulation etc..., that the galloping hourds are decending upon we here on the shore.:sad20:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    They're going to drive to DC....and they're going to demand new bridges across the bay to help them out.

I know some are, but I was offered, and accepted a job, (then I had to back out of it because of family) over there a couple of years ago and was shocked that the prices weren't much less than on the western side and there was not much available even at those prices. That being the case it would make more sense to buy some place on the west side even if the commute was hell it couldn't match the bridge in the summer new bridge or no new bridge.

crabhab

Feb 14, 2007
    My parents moved here back in 1980 (I was 5) and Dad has worked at Wallops Flight Faciliity retireing in 2003. Sure has changed alot since then. I married a local eastern shore woman with farm type family they hate western shore people and wish they would all stay on the other side of the bridge. I just wish we could get their vacation $$ and didnt have to put up with the attitude and traffic.

deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    let's not hate everyone across the bridge,just the ones that think it's the bee's knees to ruin our humble home called the eastern shore,well thats 75% of the ones over there,besides the farmers,hunters,and shooters.

East Scout

Mar 9, 2007
    Kent County
    Hey guys..I live in Kent County..We are fighting Urban Sprawl and winning..I love this county. We even managed to beat the plans for a new bridge across the bay into Rock Hall..The county wont even allow a Walmart here! GOOD!

Queen Annes, on the other hand, will be the mirror of the western shore in no time.:sad20: .I think Kent Island will sink one day, too..:D

Anyhow Im new here..Consider this my intro post.

ES

Last edited:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Hey guys..I live in Kent County..We are fighting Urban Sprawl and winning..I love this county. We even managed to beat the plans for a new bridge across the bay into Rock Hall..The county wont even allow a Walmart in our county! GOOD!

Queen Annes, on the other hand, will be the mirror of the western shore in no time.:sad20: .I think Kent Island will sink one day, too..:D

Anyhow Im new here..Consider this my intro post.

ES

Welcome!

Unfortunately, I think that you are eventually going to see that bridge come right down Tolchester Rd one day. I know that the natives are fighting it hard, but it's going to come to the point where you're going to be outnumbered by the new comers and the special interest groups beholden to the developers.

I truly hope that I'm waaaaayyyyyy wrong. We spent several days at a very nice B+B there on Tolchester Beach Rd and would love to be able to continue to go back to that serene setting for many years to come.

East Scout

Mar 9, 2007
    Kent County
    Thanks for the welcome!

Im right down the road from where you stayed....I love this county..Wait, didn't I say that?;-)

You might be right..Kent Island has far more $$ to fight an addition on the bay Bridge there..The Kent Historical Commity is putting up a great fight along w/ the county commities...Time will tell, I guess..If Chestertown wasnt where it is I'm sure we would be up to our butts in new homes and traffic..We have some developing going on but nothing to the exstent of other areas of the Shore.

As much as we like it here, I think we will be heading to Wva or even farther in the next few years...I hope Alaska.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for the welcome!

Im right down the road from where you stayed....I love this county..Wait, didn't I say that?;-)

You might be right..Kent Island has far more $$ to fight an addition on the bay Bridge there..The Kent Historical Commity is putting up a great fight along w/ the county commities...Time will tell, I guess..If Chestertown wasnt where it is I'm sure we would be up to our butts in new homes and traffic..We have some developing going on but nothing to the exstent of other areas of the Shore.

As much as we like it here, I think we will be heading to Wva or even farther in the next few years...I hope Alaska.

I think the consensus is that if/when a new bridge it built it will go from Southern MD across to the Cambridge area. There is ZERO support for building a third bridge to Kent Island and there really isn't a great need for one going to Kent Co. A southern bay crossing would take the DC crowd away from the current Bay Bridge, that's the key. And the folkd down in Cambridge actually want a bridge there. They like the buisiness that it could generate.

As far as your comments on Queen Anne's County go, as a resident of that county I would disagree that we are a pro-growth county. All but one of our County Commisioners were defeated in the election to slow-growth opponents. We are CERTAINLY not looking to become Annapolis-East.

I do agree that Kent Island has become an extension of Annapolis in a lot of ways. That's too bad but I think the rest of the county sees what has become of Kent Island and we are doing everything we can to keep the rest of the county from going that way.

I love Queen Anne's County and I hope to be there for many years to come. The quality of life is very high, the schools are good, my kids love it there. I just wish we could lock the door behind us :rolleyes: ;)

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I think the consensus is that if/when a new bridge it built it will go from Southern MD across to the Cambridge area.
    If they try to build a bridge down here, the locals will burn it down. Over and over, until the state gives up. Seriously. The natives down here don't mess around when it comes to protecting their quiet, rural lifestyle. :toothless

East Scout

Mar 9, 2007
    Kent County
    You might not be pro-growth but thats not stopping them. You wouldnt know it by driving through it. They are pro development...From Chester on 50, to Kingstown on the Chester River, up 213 its, build build build build..Church Hill, Ridgely, Centerville, Barkley, Crumpton, Ingleside, Suddlerville are all building new communities ..Centerville alone has grown x3 in the past 9 years. All long 213 south from Chestertown there is more new developments then ever and more ground breaking everymonth..

They arnt building new towns but rather exstending exsiting villages ..

http://www.rja-ltd.com/newpage22.htm

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    You might not be pro-growth but thats not stopping them. You wouldnt know it by driving through it. They are pro development...From Chester on 50, to Kingstown on the Chester River, up 213 its, build build build build..Church Hill, Ridgely, Centerville, Barkley, Crumpton, Ingleside, Suddlerville are all building new communities ..Centerville alone has grown x3 in the past 9 years. All long 213 south from Chestertown there is more new developments then ever and more ground breaking everymonth..

They arnt building new towns but rather exstending exsiting villages ..

http://www.rja-ltd.com/newpage22.htm

Well the thing is, growth will come whether I want it to or not. Queen Anne's in within commuting distance of Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis. There's no way to lock the door and keep everyone out. The key is MANAGING the growth, which I agree that they have done a lousy job with in the past. I really do think the new crop of politicians in QA will help with this, but again there's no way 0% pop growth will happen.

Kent County is NOT within commuting distance of any substantial metropolitan area so naturally it's much easier to keep Kent a more rural place. The growth pressures are not nearly as substantial in Kent as in QA. But even in Kent the growth will come.

But again, I agree with you, I don't want my area of QA to look like Kent Island. If they keep all the retail over there, it's fine by me.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    They stopped rapid growth down here in Southern Maryland in two ways. First, they implemented the town center concept, where there is very limited, designated areas where commercial structures can be built. They slowed down the housing market by limiting any lot subdivisions to 5 acres minimum. No major housing developments can spring up unless each house is on 5 acres or more. It seems to work really well, but drives up the cost of housing significantly.

East Scout

Mar 9, 2007
    Kent County
    I just heard on the radio while driving to take the trash to the dump that they are cosidering putting a tram train running along w/ the Bay bridge clear to Ocean City..

DD214 that not a bad plan..not a cure, but like Ak stated there will never be a cure to growth unless people stop reprocreating..

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    :gun1: We need another Eastern Shore meet and greet shoot.
    With all the new members it would be good to put faces to names plus we get to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom