• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    hello all maryland shooters. Im relatively new to the myrtle grove range only been down there 3 or 4 times. I really would like to use the facility more often but work and other obligations have me ocupied. I enjoy the range only on the weekdays. Every time i go there on the weekends i see some of the most unsafe and assinine things that make me feel like we will lose the range. Some of the things i witnessed down there today alone makes me reach that conclusion. Is there anyone to report things to? The group of guys that i go the table from were there for almost 4 hours. The line was at the top of the hill. These gentlemen (not gonna use the words i really want to use) were hip shooting a 12 gauge with bird shot in it not even hitting the target ( about 20 feet infront of em). When they finally left i thanked them for raking up all the leaves in the lane for me. When they actually were hitting the target they basically disintagrated the top 2 and a half feet of the target stand. There was nothing left of it. The cardboard I stapled on it for my targets was just about the only thing keeping it together. Two tables down was another group of people who instead of leaving after the hour just kept calling in friends and having them take over the table. The line was 5 feet from the parking lot for the wait. I felt so bad I only shot for 30 minutes then packed up and left so someone else could shoot. I know this sounds like alot of QQing but i needed to get it off my chest.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    This is not normal for Myrtle Grove. The only time I've seen people being stupid and taking more than their alloted time when others were waiting was right before hunting season. Some idiot brought every gun he owned to sight it in and was there for 2 hours.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 247

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Welcome. call the dnr police. You can dind their phone online. People like those are pia to deal with. Rather have the authority deal with them. Hope to see you at the grove.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    lx1x, what is the new rule for shotgun at the rifle/pistol range nowadays? It changes a lot.

I've heard Dan say no birdshot, to 1 shot for patterning, to buckshot, to slugs only, etc...

The original rule used to be no birdshot, period, at the rifle/pistol range.

It sucks to see those stands blown to shyt every weekend. I know Dan is sick of building new ones every Monday.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    for patern.. its ok to use turkly load or buck shots.. slugs are ok also as long they know where they are shooting at... blasting the crap out of stand is not. no shooting from the hip is frowned on. they need to update the rules.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    The whole thing is I enjoy shooting there, its the only range near me i can shoot my rifles and i would really hate to see the actions of aholes like that take it away from us.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    oh.. we sure do know the issues.. just be patient is all.. if you can talk to the culprit would be great. if they dont cooperate.. call dnr. ;)

Report Suspicious Activity
    Contact Maryland Natural Resources Police
    at 800-628-9944

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I also found the best time to go is on weekdays or when there's bad weather, you avoid the lines and a lot of the unsafe shooters.
    I really don't like going there when it's crowded and have also witnessed people doing stupid things.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Ya my work has me starting at 3 am and getting off whenever so i try to swing in there during the week when im in the area. Only reason i go on the weekends is cause my brother always wants to go.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Seasoned 'Grovers' learned a while back, don't bother trying for weekends - it just doesn't work.

As for the ass-hats that do get down there, if they can be talked to/reasoned with - good, if they're confrontational - DNR gets called in.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Seasoned 'Grovers' learned a while back, don't bother trying for weekends - it just doesn't work.

As for the ass-hats that do get down there, if they can be talked to/reasoned with - good, if they're confrontational - DNR gets called in.

I go just about every saturday, you just have to get there early to get a spot.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I go just about every saturday, you just have to get there early to get a spot.

Very true, about 3 weeks ago now, I was there at 7:50 in the morning, made absolutely sure I got a table first.

Fred's isn't helping us out by telling everyone that comes thru their to go shoot at MG, send them up to MSAR - they're used to ass-hattery. :D

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    I'm thinking about taking the day off wednesday and heading up there early. How is my luck going to be to get some rounds off?
    Weekdays are usually not crowded. I normally go on Fridays and there by 8:30 - 9:00 and get a table. If there are people waiting, I'm out in an hour. Not waiting, I stay a little longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom