• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I been thinking alot lately about getting an AR. I dont have anything in perticular in mind yet. Still thinking. Im open to suggestions. Was just wondering is it better to buy 1 from a shop or build 1 myself? Im no gunsmith but im pretty good at figuring things out. Any new gun I get I break em down and figure out how to put it all back together anyways. Havent screwed 1 up yet.:D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    if you have the tools.. build.

if you have extra $ to buy tools... build

if none above.. buy whole (or complete lower.. and buy complete upper seperately) :)

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    Hey. I'm working on one myself. So far I have the complete lower and just ordered most of the stuff for the upper. I havent ran into too many snags yet, it's all pretty straight forward so far. I did a lot of searching on this forum before pulling the trigger. I'm trying to go for a SHTF/predator rifle dual purpose gun.

It's fun and rewarding to build yourself although you will need a few specialty tools if you build your own upper.

Good luck and be sure to post some pics once you have it figured out!

Huckleberry43

Apr 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I'd go Bravo Company all the way, and build your own. I did this a few months back and its my favorite firearm BY FAR! I got the lower from G and R tactical, and I got the upper from BCM directly. If nothing else get a Bravo Company Bolt Carrier Group. Check out Bravo Company Manufacturing though, either way. Top notch all the way (I'd say better than Colt).

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    I built my first AR this year. It was a valentine day gift for my wife. It also is our first AR. If you get a complete upper it is very easy to build. I like it so much I bought 2 more lowers to build.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Palmettostatearmory.com has everything you may need at reasonable prices and the quality is very good from what other members tell me. Bought my first building my second now just awaiting the lower.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I vote building your own lower and buying a complete upper to finish it off.

Building the lower only requires a cheap wrench and some punches. The upper is where you really should have some of the more expensive tools to build, but even most of the upper you can do with very few tools.

vietboy1st

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 17, 2010
    Boston,MA
    well you can get a standard name brand ar15 for around $800 - $1,000
    but building one might save you if you want to look for people who has extra parts for good prices. But time and labor plus no quality control check and you said that you don't know much about ar. So i think you should go buy a new one from the shop or on the web :).

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Building one gets my vote.
    I think the satisfaction when you pull the trigger on that first round from something you put together yourself is worth it.
    I'm in the process meself of building my first AR.

jimd27

Nov 12, 2011
    Id say at least build the lower yourself. Ar15.com has some good step by step instructions with pics.

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    I bought my first AR 5 months ago and have built 3 since lol. If you need any help let me know. I have all the tools you need and can help with whatever build you want. I'm rite by pax river base PM me if you need any help

jleahey

Oct 10, 2010
    what is the advantage to building one your self .. sorry im an idiot and dont owna ar .. but am thinking about one too

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    what is the advantage to building one your self .. sorry im an idiot and dont owna ar .. but am thinking about one too

Fun, learning the Inner workings of it, hiding expenses, and can make it exactly the way you want.

And it's not as hard as it looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom