• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    but I'm not sure what to get. We have plenty of land, but I don't want a large breed. Something in the 20-40lb range, smart, would be good for tracking, retrieving, etc. Ideally I'd like to get it as a puppy and train/get training with it as it grows up.

So:
    What breed suggestions do you have?
    If you know somebody who may/will have some in the next few months mention that and I'll pm for contact info if I end up needing it.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Plott hound. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354955076.603912.jpg

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Springer spaniel.....beautiful and smart!!

:thumbsup:loved mine. They can get big so check with a breeder to see the size of the parents. Small female would fit your size criteria. There's another breed of small dog that is perfect for hunting, now all I have to do is remember what it is.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Brittany Spaniels, which are a little smaller than Springers in the same family tree

Spaniels are great in the field and love being part of the family.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Brittany Spaniels, which are a little smaller than Springers in the same family tree
    Spaniels are great in the field and love being part of the family.

I've always liked Brittanys ... I don't think I've ever met one that didn't go to happy bonkers land in its last few years, but that wouldn't stop me from getting one.

Don't discount poodles as hunting dogs, that's what they originally were ... "german water spaniels" ... poodle is a direct derivation of the german word for water and puddle. Poodles are all still great retrievers and family dogs.

English Labs are also a good choice in small water dogs ... a black dog smaller and lighter boned than a black lab

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I had a blk lab - beagle mix as a kid and she was a great pheasant retriever. I never had her trained but if I did she would have been a great hunter.

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    #1 for brittanys. My parents have 2, and they seem to find pheasants other dogs miss when we are on public land. They are maniacs though and need to release a lot of energy on a daily basis.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    My grandpop used to have a few hunting dogs. English pointer for bird hunting, Beagles for rabbits, Chesapeake bay retriever for fowling

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I had a Brittany and will have another one once there's room in our household for another dog.
    I used Richard Wolters' Gun Dog for training and she was a good close-working bird dog.
    Brittany's also have a great disposition for a family with kids. She even played with the cats.

GrouseDog.jpg

Your choice depends on the hunting you want to do. If it's upland hunting then I recommend a Brittany.
    If waterfowling is in the mix then a Springer or Lab will do that plus flush birds.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I would offer you our Treeing Walker Coonhound Katy, but she can't find a treat when you drop it in front of her. She is a rescue and a really sweet girl.

Attachments

• Katy - Truck 008.JPG
      Katy - Truck 008.JPG
      37.2 KB · Views: 345

Drakos

Outta Control
    Dec 25, 2010
    What are you planning on hunting?

Spaniels are great dogs for upland birds, but would really struggle to bring in a wounded duck or goose from the water. Once wet, their ability to stay in a blind on a cold day would be compromised...

If you are going after waterfowl you will likely have to double your size to 70-80 lbs. Though not typical for the breeds, some breeders are breeding down Chesapeakes and Labs to this range.

My preference is a Chesapeake, robust and smart, I have hunted upland with them and spent many a cold day in a blind with them...they will break ice all day long and not complain.

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    Are you looking to do upland or waterfowl hunting? A Brittany Spaniel is the size you are talking about and a good hunting dog for Quail, Chukar and Pheasant type hunting. Make sure to check out there family / in-house temperament if its a pet also. Some hunting dogs are bred to and initially raised to be in kennels.

Some in-town vets near me prefer to not work with some breads of hunting dog.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    The type of hunting I'm thinking would be small game and birds. What waterfowl hunting I do is by a pond and I drop them on dry land so fishing them out of the drink isn't a concern. Labs and Beagles really appeal to me, but most Labs are a lot larger then I'd like. Beagles I'm really mixed on. Every one I've ever met has been great, but I've also had some say they can be really over active.
    The size concern is mostly because it is going to be around my grandmother, who is small and is starting to get some health issues, and I don't want a big dog that is going to knock her over by accident when it is excited. I've got the land for a large breed, it just won't fit into the family as well at this point.
    It IS going to be a pet as well as a working dog (good point out clay_shooter). Aside from when I'm at work, its going to be with me 90% of the time.
    The hearing protection comment was good too. Hadn't thought about that yet. I've looked at some of the gear that BP has, but haven't started making a list of what all I'm going to need.

jmitche4

Jan 25, 2012
    Get a lab. They are awesome at home and in the field. This is my chocolate lab Ben.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      137.6 KB · Views: 260

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom