• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Water, tire iron, phone charger. In about 50 minutes I’ll be back at my office.

Water cuz it’s hot and humid and I got 3 miles to hoof it.

Tire iron in case. I need to break into closed office or crack a couple nuts.

Phone charger, it’ll be long night without use of phone. If I knew I had a charger at the office my third item would be the gym bag for the athletic shoes.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Gym bag, tool bag, water and head home. Keep out of sight and avoid contact. Since phone has 50% battery, text the family and arrange a rendezvous at a safe distance up the road.

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    If you work in the city and EVER think you might be stuck there or traveling thru...FOUR WAY SILLCOCK KEY is a must.

I’d take:

Water. Drink as much as you can hold immediately. Save container and carry it in...

Gym bag, etc. you can put a rock or whatever in a sock and fashion a weapon. The protein powder and container are golden. Change of clothes to summer garb important. The comfy shoes are key. I’d likely change as quick as I had an opportunity...away from the car. The bag itself will come in handy if you find or pilfer Critical stuff. Keep your street clothes. Ditch the work shoes.

Knife. Because I’d feel naked without a knife at hand. Tool or weapon...more likely tool here because crowds of denizens won’t respect a guy in gym shorts brandishing a knife...

Summer time suggests at almost 1900 that you might have at best two hours more light. Hot and humid suggests the remaining distance home might be achievable but...how well do you know the city streets off the highway? Well enough to handrail and get back up on highway at some point or handrail the rest of the way home. Also begs the question of your level of fitness. If you’re fit, heading home might be a good call. If I was fit and knew the handrail options, I’d get off the highway by going back the way I came til I felt safe to get Down off the highway. If I wasn’t fit, then I’d almost certainly head back to the office. The office building itself has plenty of water in the piping system. If power is out, is water out? If so, drain by gravity, from a lower level into your container and voila, you’re gtg. Likely vending machines a plenty so you won’t starve. The “event” could be short or long. If short, you’ll have other opportunities. If protracted, you’ll need to figure a plan b. That’s much better done when you ain’t in the dark, on the streets and pumped full of adrenaline...

Flashlight is a distraction among the choices. Your eyes will adjust to whatever level of light there is. Potential weapons among the choices are also red herrings. You’re not going to successfully defend yourself against a crowd with anything there. Shovel in the city Ain’t a tool, it’s a wannabe weapon. Was it winter, I’d find the tarp more attractive. Flares had potential for creating distractions or as a weapon but, meh. Medical kit was hardest to say no to...the shears, duct tape, sharpie and tourniquet would have been stripped out and put in the gym bag but sometimes, less is more and in this scenario, that’s my call on this choice.

Fitness is king here. That and local road knowledge would drive my decision on which way to go... “Unrest” being nominal OR widespread would also Strongly affect my decision.

I like the way you think this through.

I like the rock idea and that was the reason the ball hitch was thrown in. We can't assume we will find what is necessary to make improvised weapons via scavenging.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you work in the city and EVER think you might be stuck there or traveling thru...FOUR WAY SILLCOCK KEY is a must.

I spy with my little eye..
    1bdc04e3c8bd8166d442518b7863b37f.jpg
    7183c75b0fefbf478c941a178a4441be.jpg

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm throwing one of the six flares in the back seat of the SUV after grabbing the gym bag and shovel. Hopefully the display will create enough of a distraction to get out. I'm using the shovel to defend myself on the way out of the area and then throwing on those sneakers to hoof it back to the office, where there is likely plenty of water and food to sustain me. Calling the wife and letting her know the deal. Calling my buddies and setting a rendezvous outside of town in a direction opposite the unrest or hunkering down for the night depending on the situation immediately surround the office. If I've worked there for any amount of time, I know the area well and have taken multiple routes out in the past.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Yes sir you wasn’t born last night...in the dark maybe, but not last night.

Funny, folks dint ask. Maybe they all know too.

Sure come in handy if your trying to get water from a commercial hose bib.

Didn't ask because a quick google search and a quick "buy now" on amazon fixed the lack issues :D

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    I'll throw in what I'd grab.

Bug out to home.

Gym bag - It provides weather appropriate clothing, a container, a protein source, and the bag can be used for various applications including use as a weapon.

Battery charger - Knowledge is key and my phones will only last so long. I need Intel updates to avoid the areas affected. Relying on memory in a city is not always a good idea. Maps and the ability to plan multiple routes is key here. Phone doubles as a flashlight in a pinch.

Water - Summer time, moving fast and far, hydration is paramount.

Name of the game is avoidance. Avoid the crowds, move fast and plan your routes. Throw your cash and bag if confronted and move away as fast as possible.

While we all plan ahead, sometimes we just end up in crappy situations regards. Could be the spouse borrowed your car and has all your gear. Could be you took it out and forgot to put it back in. Survival is more about mindset and skills than gear.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    I'd like to start a game I saw years ago. You start with a scenario and an image. From the image you pick what tools you would use to accomplish the task to complete the scenario. No changing the scenario or adding items to use. Read the scenario thoroughly before deciding what item to take and how to complete the scenario. Critical thinking skills are the goal here.

Scenario: Get home from the city

You work downtown in a major metropolitan city and commute to work from the suburbs. You travel via midsize SUV on an elevated expressway that runs through the center of the city. You work 20 miles from where you live and your commute is normally 30-45 minutes depending on traffic which can be heavy.

You work in a high rise downtown and wear business attire (e.g. suit/shirt and tie) to work. You park in an underground parking garage under your building and work on the tenth floor. Your building, and much of the city, have been experiencing brownouts as a result of a summer heat wave.

You leave work on a mid summer Friday evening at 6:00 pm. The current temperature is 85 degrees with high humidity. At 6:10 pm, three miles from work, you are stopped in heavy traffic on the expressway near an on ramp. You are stopped at a stand still for 15 minutes. All lanes are full, the on ramp adjacent to you is backed up and the shoulder is closed due to construction.

You check Waze to see what is causing the traffic to be stopped. There are no accidents reported in the area and no planned road closures due to the construction. After another 15 minutes you hear breaking news on the radio that a planned peaceful protest has turned violent near the city center. Police have been deployed to various locations where the violence is occurring and started to use tear gas.

As the news continues to provide information about the ongoing unrest you start to see several people walking up the on ramp and towards the vehicles stopped ahead of you. They don't appear to be coming from the stopped vehicles. As you look ahead you see a large group of people start to smash the windows of the vehicles stopped ahead of you. The group starts to pull people out of their vehicles and assault them without provocation. The group is at least 50+ strong, 100 yards from your vehicle, and closing in quickly.

At 6:45 pm you make the decision to bug out from your vehicle. On your person you have your wallet (or purse) with ID, credit/debit cards, some miscellaneous cards and $50 cash. You have your cell phone with 50% battery remaining. Nothing else on your person.

You have enough time to grab three (3) times out of your vehicle and go. Assume all items are full/charged and in good working order.

List of items:
    Gym bag (contains shorts, t-shirt, socks, athletic shoes, empty shaker bottle with protein powder in separate compartment)

Blow out kit (contains gloves, CPR mask, EMT shears, Sharpie, duck tape, CAT tourniquet, TK4 tourniquet, Israeli bandage, homeostatic bandage, gauze, chest seal, nasal airway)

Tarp (6'x8')

Battery with charging cable (set)

N95 mask with hand sanitizer (set)

3L water in container

2" Ball hitch

Hitch wrench

Folding knife

Tactical flashlight

Pepper spray

Tire iron

Tool bag (contains work gloves, jumper cables, zip ties, chem lights, various hand tools)

Roll of paper towels

Road flares (6)

Flex cuffs

Folding surplus military shovel

Do you bug out to home or work?

What three (3) items do you grab and why?

I found this thread at like 12:30 last night and it triggered a 4 hour evaluation of routes home from dc and the surrounding areas

Pertaining to the given scenario, as others have already said. gym bag, water, cell charger. getting mobile and communicating for a pickup outside the hot zone. No need try and fight a horde, surreptitious movement would be king.

I'm not fit, and my right foot would not hold up for a long march home. Old injury.
    So, to the office. I'm sure to find food, water, shelter, and comm, whether office phone or a cell charger. Probably find a TV or radio to keep track of what is going on where.
    I do not do well in heat, so the first two are easy: Gym bag and water.
    What should be a third item? Tool bag could be good, but heavy, and unnecessary items in there.
    As someone had pointed out, it is very hard to pass on the first aid kit.
    N95 mask may be of help should you find the best escape strategy would be to change, and blend in. This is VERY risky, but may be a good strategy if it looks like one would be overrun.
    I probably would choose battery and charger. Hold it up and look like someone streaming the event.
    As another pointed out, try to arrange for a pickup early AM in a "safe" zone (or at least where roads would still be open).
    Light comes, roaches hide. Also, the mass may have moved past your position, and they would likely be out of gas at daybreak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom