• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I just decided to turn my lower into 300 blackout. I know it is more expensive than 556... usually. With all of this wild ammo shortage and price hikes, I was wondering what a pre-COVID price for 300 blackout was. I haven't seen a lot of 300 blackout on shelves lately. I assume it is in short supply since its a somewhat niche caliber. Any info is appreciated.

Sorry if this was already posted, but I searched a few different places for the topic.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A lot of people find themselves moved towards reloading for this round out of necessity. Of course, right now is not an ideal time adopt a new round any way you look at it.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    can't find subs anywhere , some places have supers in the premium lines .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For 223 figure .30-.40 cents per rd for brass cased FMJ, .70-$1 for heavy match on average. 300BO runs .50-$1 for FMJ Supers and .70-$1.5 for subs. Might be able find surplus or steel cased ammo cheaper, and 300 subs vary wildly depending if they use pricey 200+gr 30 cal match bullets or much less expansive plated or cheap bullets made for 300

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    For 223 figure .30-.40 cents per rd for brass cased FMJ, .70-$1 for heavy match on average. 300BO runs .50-$1 for FMJ Supers and .70-$1.5 for subs. Might be able find surplus or steel cased ammo cheaper, and 300 subs vary wildly depending if they use pricey 200+gr 30 cal match bullets or much less expansive plated or cheap bullets made for 300

Thank You! This helped me a lot.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The funny thing about 300AAC is that reloading it isn't really that much more expensive than 223 - the bullet is a bit more expensive, but the powder requirements tend to be less to offset it somewhat, especially if you're using cheap coated subsonic bullets. But I agree that this is a bad time to get into a new, semi-boutique caliber.

When things calm down, steel-case 300AAC supers will be available at reasonable prices, and that will make this a lot more economical to shoot in volume.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    And you can cut down 223 brass to make 300. That's my plan, currently. I've got a small amount of 300 brass, but a decent amount of 223.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    And you can cut down 223 brass to make 300. That's my plan, currently. I've got a small amount of 300 brass, but a decent amount of 223.
    Yes. There are guys selling jigs out there to work with Harbor Freight chopsaws that apparently work quite well.

I'm personally not all that sold on the utility of 300AAC, but I've got an upper, brass, and 240gr projectiles, so I may as well burn what I've got.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Yes. There are guys selling jigs out there to work with Harbor Freight chopsaws that apparently work quite well.

I'm personally not all that sold on the utility of 300AAC, but I've got an upper, brass, and 240gr projectiles, so I may as well burn what I've got.

I wanted a round similar to 7.62x39, but I figured 300blk would be easier to find uppers. Already have the lower.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a jig/saw to make brass from 5.56 cases. Works well, but it's SLOWWW. the short brass is a PITA if you use a trimmer that gauges on the neck, can usually find someone with a lot of time stamping out 300 brass on etsy or other reloading sources for a decent price. The caliber is more powerful than 5.56 and hits harder, but the magic is in running suppressed and in short barrels. FAR less gas in the receiver than 5.56, and a huge range of port pressures will run reliably, along with a fraction of the muzzle blast and noise even without a can, all by swapping a barrel.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have a jig/saw to make brass from 5.56 cases. Works well, but it's SLOWWW. the short brass is a PITA if you use a trimmer that gauges on the neck, can usually find someone with a lot of time stamping out 300 brass on etsy or other reloading sources for a decent price. The caliber is more powerful than 5.56 and hits harder, but the magic is in running suppressed and in short barrels. FAR less gas in the receiver than 5.56, and a huge range of port pressures will run reliably, along with a fraction of the muzzle blast and noise even without a can, all by swapping a barrel.
    I've still got a good quantity of 300 brass plus tons of LC 5.56 brass to fall back on. Forming your own is a PIA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom