• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Colt Woodsman? JK, Get a Ruger they are really easy to work on and tune. My #1 recommendation for any .22 is to not use oil but a dry lube like the one Remington makes. It stays cleaner a lot longer.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Have a Buckmark hunter and 22/45 lite. The Buckmark is more accurate, a bit more refined, FAR better trigger out of the box(made better for free by flipping the sear spring) and serial# is on the frame, thefactory threaded models are 6" barrels. Only downside is that the rail has to come off to disassemble it, but being locking the bolt back opens the chamber area wide from both sides, you really don't need to. The 22/45 is decent, much easier to takedown, but actually needs to be taken down to clean as the chamber is only accessible by the much smaller ejection port. The barrel is serialized, so need an FFL to swap a barrel, similar grip shape and control layout, trigger sucks, VQ trigger kit is epic though, 4" barrels and lighter than comparable Buckmark models, ambi-safety. I like the shorter barrel, lighter weight, quieter action(bolt is more enclosed) and better balance of my 22/45 lite though when running suppressed. Not a fan of the standard Ruger MK series "luger-ish" grip angle.
    So it sounds like I'm going to go with the ruger and a trigger kit. And just be sure to get the barrel I want for the long term when I buy it.

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Both are reliable pistols and will provide decades of service.

Ruger - Pros, accurate, easy to clean, easy to disassemble, Tons of aftermarket support, Ruger warranty

Cons- barrel/receiver is 1 pieces/ serialized, small factory charging handle

Browning - pro - cheaper, large rear reciprocating slide, barrels are not serialized

Cons - less aftermarket parts

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Got a Ruger Mk IV target couple years back, added a red dot, if I take the wife shooting I never get to shoot it, she will drop 300 rounds before getting it up. All I hear is you got another mag loaded yet, so I have 6 mags think I need to get more! :thumbsup:

rootytootyshooty

Apr 12, 2019
    Ruger MarkIV lite. What a little trooper. Eats anything I put through it. Hella accurate, easiest gun I own as far as cleaning is concerned.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    If your budget allows buy both. I have 2 22/45 Lite MKIV's, a Buck Mark Plus Rosewood UDX, and a S&W Performance Center Victory. I like variety and I like them all. That said, if your budget only allows one I would go with a Ruger Mark IV.

22s.jpg

Last edited:

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    If your budget allows buy both. I have a 22/45 Lite MKIV's and a Buck Mark Plus Rosewood UDX and I like them all. An S&W Victory is on my short list too. I love variety.

That said, if your budget only allows one I would go with a Buck Mark.
    Not an option for both. This is just something to have fun plinking at the range to save fenterfire ammo while I get my reloading setup ready.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Took my new Buckmark to the range yesterday for the first time. So far very reliable and accurate shooting a variety of ammo. Great trigger with short reset. This pistol really fits my hand so no grip change coming. I have a red dot coming that I'll probably try out on this gun. For the near future the Buckmark will accompany me to the range every time.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Took my new Buckmark to the range yesterday for the first time. So far very reliable and accurate shooting a variety of ammo. Great trigger with short reset. This pistol really fits my hand so no grip change coming. I have a red dot coming that I'll probably try out on this gun. For the near future the Buckmark will accompany me to the range every time.

I had a break in period of about 75-100 rounds that I had to get through on mine for it to run right. I was getting failure to feeds left and right through the first several magazines, with a few different kinds of ammo. Federal and cci.

After getting close to 100 rounds or so, they seemed to stop. Shoots nice though. Feels like 007’s gun with a can on it.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Another question for you guys....does the 22/45 version really handle/shoot like a 1911? I ask because I have the MK3 22/45 and really like it...can shoot it very well. One of the reasons I originally got it was because of the 22/45 grip angle; don't really care for the original MK grip style. I thought if I could shoot that well as practice, then a 1911 would be on order. Just haven't gotten around to shooting with one yet, so I'm wondering about the comparison...Thanks!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Another question for you guys....does the 22/45 version really handle/shoot like a 1911? I ask because I have the MK3 22/45 and really like it...can shoot it very well. One of the reasons I originally got it was because of the 22/45 grip angle; don't really care for the original MK grip style. I thought if I could shoot that well as practice, then a 1911 would be on order. Just haven't gotten around to shooting with one yet, so I'm wondering about the comparison...Thanks!

The grip angle is the same, but the weight and recoil won't be. You probably want to shoot a 1911 before you order one. I'm not convinced that having a sub-caliber version of a bigger gun makes much difference for your training time.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I had a break in period of about 75-100 rounds that I had to get through on mine for it to run right. I was getting failure to feeds left and right through the first several magazines, with a few different kinds of ammo. Federal and cci.

After getting close to 100 rounds or so, they seemed to stop. Shoots nice though. Feels like 007’s gun with a can on it.

My only FTF was the last round out of the first magazine. It was loaded with mini mags. After that, everything was fine, even with the Thunderbolts and M22 bulk ammo.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I had a buckmark contour and a ruger mark 2. I passed the buckmark to my son in law so I could get a mark 4, so now I have 2 Rugers. ymmv.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

The controls are layed out similar to the 1911, but, of course the feel, exact location, shape etc are different. The 22/45 has a little higher grip, safety is a little lower, slide stop is a little more rearward, mag release is similar. It does have really nice rubber double diamond grips. The grip does feel 1911-ish, of course lacking a grip safety, and the higher hand position is actually better IMO. The only ergo grip I have is the safety, it gets in the way of my strong side thumb a little. if it were a little higher, or the old MK3 22/45 "button", it wouldn't get in the way, if it were a little lower and larger, you could put your thumb on top ala "gas pedal" grip on a 1911. Tandemcross does have a lowered/larger safety for that purpose, but I'm on the fence to try it, or find a higher/lower profile safety that suits my "normal" high grip style. Even so I'm really picky, and it's a minor gripe that few would probably have an issue with.

The Lite is probably the best practical suppressor host, balances a bit rearward due to the VERY light 4" barrel, but with this 6.6oz DA mask it's pretty much perfect. Balances somewhere around where a 6" barrel would, the 8" heavy barrel on my BM Hunter is MORE barrel heavy than the Lite with the can. Main gripe with the Buckmark is the screw-on top rail design, and the trigger radius is really small, and a bit snug for those with even "normal" adult fingers.

20200825_090005.jpg

20200825_090034.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I shoot the 1911 a great deal. I built a dedicated 22lr conversion 1911 for lots of practice. Gun is great trainer, the conversion maker’s slides are horribly soft and the slide breech faces wear out.

While deciding on which way to go with a Marvel or Nelson upper I purchased a 5.5” bull barrel Mk IV 22/45. I bought a Volquartsen action set for it so that must be a statement on its utility for me and my hands for 1911 similarity. I ride the factory safety simply because I can. Is it a practical trainer? Yes. Perfect...no, basically because it has a pivoting trigger (different character) and some placement changes noted earlier. But run a few hundred rounds through it and muscle memory will kick in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom