• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    And if build a lower into a pistol do NOT put a stock on it. It would be considered a short barreled rifle-SBR. Which would require a stamp. A brace is needed. Dblas is correct. Purchasing any complete pistol, whether AR based, handgun based, PCC based needs an HQL. Also make sure you purchase the lower as “other”. Not rifle. You can then switch back and forth between pistol and rifle configs- if start as rifle lower can only be made into a rifle. Start as pistol config first. A great friend on here said he takes pics of his initial pistol set up for cya if changes to rifle after. Off topic sorry. Late and cannot effing sleep

I've done this before.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    So you don't need an HQL to purchase a lower registered for pistol....but once it is built into a fully functional AR pistol then you need an HQL, but just don't have to do the training component of getting the HQL?

Ahh...No, you do not need an HQL for the scenario you descibed.

You are not purchasing a handgun, therefore no HQL.

You are not required to get an HQL because you build a pistol.

By purchasing the lower receive on a form 77 you can then use that lower receiver as proof that you own a regulated firearm and that satisfies the training requirement.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As I understand it, if it is a caliber other than .223/5.56 then there is no wait. Someone with better info will hopefully explain better.

Has nothing to do with caliber per se. It applies to any receiver capable of accommodating the 5.56/.223. There are several other calibers that will function through the same AR 15 lower receiver.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    So can I build an AR-15 pistol with a stripped lower and a 10.5in 300 BO barrel without an HQL?

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Have you not read a single post in this thread?

Yes sir I have read the postings. But there was no mention of barrel length mentions that seperate between a pistol build and an SBR. I understand that there are stocks and grip limitations. But I wanted to confirm that 8.5 and 10.5 barrel lenghts are still considered pistol. I thought the 10 in was the cut off for SBR.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Yes sir I have read the postings. But there was no mention of barrel length mentions that seperate between a pistol build and an SBR. I understand that there are stocks and grip limitations. But I wanted to confirm that 8.5 and 10.5 barrel lenghts are still considered pistol. I thought the 10 in was the cut off for SBR.

Any barrel that is under 16 inches is the cut off for what must either be a registered SBR or configured as a pistol.

16 inches or longer, with a stock, is a legal rifle, although it you are a maryland resident it must be a heavy barrel variant.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

The entire discussion has been about pistols, SBR does not come into the conversation until you decide to put a rifle stock on it instead of a brace. So the 10.5 and 8.5 barrel lengths are not an issue.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thank you. Sorry for the un-informed question. I just cant wrap my head around the fact that just a stock and grip would be the difference between a pistol and SBR built if the barrel is not 16 in HBAR. :lol:

It's just the stock/brace that defines the difference, the VFG/AVG issue is simply an accessory issue that must be followed if you have a pistol (AFG only), if you have a rifle, you can have either one.

Snapper

Mar 29, 2014
    16 inches or longer, with a stock, is a legal rifle, although it you are a maryland resident it must be a heavy barrel variant.

I may be totally wrong, but I think you are correct ONLY if the barrel is .223 /5.56. If any other caliper there is no requirement for a "heavy" barrel. The People's Republic of Marylandistan makes this so stupidity confusing.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I may be totally wrong, but I think you are correct ONLY if the barrel is .223 /5.56. If any other caliper there is no requirement for a "heavy" barrel. The People's Republic of Marylandistan makes this so stupidity confusing.
    The most recent query in this thread was in regards to 300 Blk, so you would be right.

To me, the 'change one part' rule wouldn't apply to a barrel BC, if you change the barrel, you are no longer talking about that caliber.

YMMV

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    The most recent query in this thread was in regards to 300 Blk, so you would be right.

To me, the 'change one part' rule wouldn't apply to a barrel BC, if you change the barrel, you are no longer talking about that caliber.

YMMV

Ok so now I'm confused, is the 'RIFLE' desination only for 5.56 caliber? Ok so basically, if I built from scratch a 300 BLK with 10.5 inch barrel from a purchased 'other' AR-15 lower that I got gathering dust in the safe for months, a standard AR stock and grip. Would this be consider a pistol/sbr/rifle? Do I need an HQL?

My goal is to built a compact 300 BLK that I can take whitetail hunting from a treestand without the trouble of HQL/SBR/JAIL/etc. I have some spare AR parts and just wanted to know how to built it legally and logically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom