• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oh3

Jan 2, 2016
    Carroll Co
    I’m left-handed so I moved all my hand guns mag releasees to the left for me. However, I’m taking my wife and daughter to the range today and they are right-handed. Should I swap the controls back for them? In a home defense situation I’d be most likely manning the firearms. The wife shot them before but my daughter (13) has never fired a firearm.

I spent 10 years in the military and just adapted to right handed weapons but have since liked the lefty option of being able to make that change.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you're left handed, the buttons need to be on the right. Right?

So since they're on the left, then that's correct for a righty.

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    I’m left-handed so I moved all my hand guns mag releasees to the left for me. However, I’m taking my wife and daughter to the range today and they are right-handed. Should I swap the controls back for them? In a home defense situation I’d be most likely manning the firearms. The wife shot them before but my daughter (13) has never fired a firearm.

I spent 10 years in the military and just adapted to right handed weapons but have since liked the lefty option of being able to make that change.

If there is any chance that your wife or daughter will use them in a home defense situation, I’d leave them set up for you. That’s how they would be stored and used in a critical situation and you don’t want any surprises.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Based on carnage from the left?

Id rather have a righty with a solid weapon... Than a lefty.

'Merica!:)

Oh3

Jan 2, 2016
    Carroll Co
    Back from the range. I ended up putting the controls back to right-handed. It didn’t phase me since I’m still used to pressing the mag release with my left middle finger. They had fun and surprisingly both liked shooting the hand guns more than my AR. It was a good day and fun was had by all.

Now, when and how to top off my ammo stockpile?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Back from the range. I ended up putting the controls back to right-handed. It didn’t phase me since I’m still used to pressing the mag release with my left middle finger. They had fun and surprisingly both liked shooting the hand guns more than my AR. It was a good day and fun was had by all.

That may take a little doing...

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Left vs. Right controls? I thought we already had this figured out.

Left says control means no handguns.
    Right says control means hitting target.

{forgive me...it's late and I'm tired}

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

That is my limited experience with new shooters. Most people enjoy handgun shooting more than rifles. Even lighter recoiling ones for both.

IMHO, my Cz82 has ambi mag release, but how it’s positioned it’s a lot more comfortable to operate it with my right index finger than with my thumb.

Though all my other handguns thumb operated on the right side (I am right handed) is more comfortable than using my index finger.

There basically isn’t stocking up right now. Well, not unless you’ve got a lot of money. I was chatting with someone at the range today. He was complaining about just having dropped $700 on a case of 9mm

I am very, very glad I am well stocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom