• gem357

MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2013
    SoHoCo
    Awareness of my situation, keep my ego out of it, and Sabre Red gel

trafficguru26

Aug 22, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Taser is more effective than pepper spray. Don't get me wrong pepper spray works but there is a delay in reaction. You also run a high risk of contaminating yourself. Also, there are people that pepper spray just doesn't work on.

Sloopjonb

Feb 5, 2016
    none

Self defense you use any means possible. I have 70 rounds I can go through before there is any reloading. Like I read before situation awareness, don't get in the situation.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    MD is pretty permissive when it comes to less than lethal. OC spray is OK, and I am not aware of any limitations (Sabre has a formula that also has something like tear gas in it which is MD OK). I've been blessed by the state with a permit to carry a handgun, so I've got that. I also usually carry OC spray (sabre red) on me and in the car; I also have one on my dog's leash. I'm a bigger than average and stronger than average dude, but I do have a pretty big gap in hands on skills. Muay Thai is the next thing I plan to add to the toolkit.

Stun guns and takers are OK mostly everywhere, too.

Hornet spray might be effective, but it's a bad idea. Many places, including MD, could consider that lethal force.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Take a look at this website, lots of great (legitimate) research info and lots of videos re: deadly force encounters.

I've taken the Force Science certification training. Most such situations are not what they at first seem. Good info to be aware of if anything ever happens. There is science to prove how some encounters go down.

www.forcescience.org

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    RAID wasp and hornet spray. Shoots about 25 feet!

Do YOU want to be the test case?

Wasp-spray-label.jpg

Misuse of the wasp and hornet spray carries federal penalties.

It is NOT manufactured nor sold nor permitted to be used as a weapon against humans.

There are products specifically designed and sold for that purpose... Don't suggest that folks violate federal law.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I use some crushed Habanero peppers in a variety of delivery systems
    It's a food additive.....:innocent0

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thing is, that bug sprays aren't effective on humans. Maybe mildly irritating. Those sprays attack the nervous system of the hornet/wasp. The amount of the active ingredient is enough for a tiny wasp and not a large human.
    Pepper spray closes the eyes and disrupts the respitory system. That's how you non chemically incapacitate an attacker.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thing is, that bug sprays aren't effective on humans. Maybe mildly irritating. Those sprays attack the nervous system of the hornet/wasp. The amount of the active ingredient is enough for a tiny wasp and not a large human.
    Pepper spray closes the eyes and disrupts the respitory system. That's how you non chemically incapacitate an attacker.

******Yes. This. I took a course that included non-lethal defense options that work in every instance (Don't get caught in a situation that requires it.cuz there isn't one..:D). There were non-lethal defense options that work sometimes and those included Tasers, Pepper Spray, Mace, Kinetic stuff like bean bags and rubber bullets, etc... but we were shown videos of every non-lethal option commonly used failing including Tasers, Pepper Spray, Mace, and Kinetic stuff.....:sad20:

There are people so enraged and so strung out on drugs they basically just push through whatever non-lethal option there is, and sometimes shooting them once only makes them angry if it's not compromised their nervous system, etc...

The non-lethal options are better than nothing of course, but firearms seem to work a LOT better at the stopping part of the issue if placement is good or if enough shots are taken at a sufficient enough distance to keep from getting killed yourself.

I did force on force stuff and even with a gun, two or three guys rushing you with sticks or knives from a couple of different directions, especially in a non-well lighted environment... You're just f*cked.

Best to never have to use any of it, and run away if possible. The firearm or non-lethal mebbe increases your chances of coming out ok, but if it's a riot, or you get cornered - you are gonna get hurt, and even if you have some skill with firearms, it's easy to get taken out if alone. I was very surprised at how worthless some non-lethal options were against enraged people. They showed those expandable batons and I think a PR-24 - absolutely worthless against an enraged moron - even more so if in your car and trying to deploy it...

A nicely placed shot to the grape or unloading a mag until they stopped moving works in many cases, but it's not easy to shoot a moving target coming after you quickly, and two or more from different directions just sucks. A shotgun with 00 Buck works nicely as well - probably NOT non lethal though... :innocent0

Best to avoid confrontation if possible. When that is NOT possible, I guess something non-lethal is better than nothing, but mebbe not that much better when it comes down to it.

Probably best to have armed security bodyguards like that Bloomberg guy! He's anti-gun, and he never carries a gun, but probably feels safe! :lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are people so enraged and so strung out on drugs they basically just push through whatever non-lethal option there is, and sometimes shooting them once only makes them angry if it's not compromised their nervous system, etc...

Heck, they push through being SHOT, so how would any non-lethal method work 100%????

arts

Nov 14, 2014
    I am vigilant about my surroundings and I am not going anyplace that I think is unsafe. The guy who was a west point graduate and went to one of the riots to ask the police questions is an idiot. Even if I am a peaceful protester why would I go to a place that has the potential for violence. In this climate If I go to Baltimore city then I think I am asking for trouble so why go. I like the bear spray idea. I have to get some for the rare occasion that would warrant it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom