• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankN1001

Aug 23, 2020
    Out of state resident getting ready to move back to Maryland . So originally I was in Maryland during the 2013 ban which caused enough confusion as it did. So I’m fairly versed on what I can build for my pre and post 2013 lowers. My questions is so I bought a complete rock river arms ar in 2012 which I believe was just cash and carry then if I remember correctly. That upper had been sold off long ago. So when I move back into Maryland would I be able to keep a Now banned Upper (Non hbar) on it or would I need to put an heavy/hbar. I’ve searched through as many posts as I could find and didn’t see anything relevant to my issue.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Out of state resident getting ready to move back to Maryland . So originally I was in Maryland during the 2013 ban which caused enough confusion as it did. So I’m fairly versed on what I can build for my pre and post 2013 lowers. My questions is so I bought a complete rock river arms ar in 2012 which I believe was just cash and carry then if I remember correctly. That upper had been sold off long ago. So when I move back into Maryland would I be able to keep a Now banned Upper (Non hbar) on it or would I need to put an heavy/hbar. I’ve searched through as many posts as I could find and didn’t see anything relevant to my issue.

2012 was not cash and carry. 2012 was regulated.

After oct 13 it may have been cash and carry, but now must be hbar

Yes, you can put a non HBAR upper on a lower you owned prior to FSA2013 going in to effect.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    2012 was not cash and carry. 2012 was regulated.

After oct 13 it may have been cash and carry, but now must be hbar

Ummm...Completely incorrect, HBAR's were cash and carry starting in 1989 when the first 39 items became regulated for rifles. And they continued to be cash and carry after FSA2013.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I agree a 2012 cash and carry AR had to be HBAR to be only on a 4473 only for cash and carry and not a 7 day wait. So you have to put an HBAR back on it on it
    IANAL

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    As I understand it, the receiver is the firearm. If owned prior to 10/1/2013, you can do what you please. The only caveat is that it must remain a rifle if it was purchased assembled as a rifle. A naked receiver first built into a pistol can go back and forth if you wish. There was no issue with HBAR before the MD GA got its fingers into the AR configuration.

Could be wrong, but realistically it seems to be a non-issue in terms of arrest/prosecution, far as I'm aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom