Why would anyone need more than one gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Back to the OP...

If you're a serious competitor in the shooting sports, you wind up with at least one firearm per event. Usually two (to have a backup). Sometimes three (primary, backup, and second backup). And if you're shooting multiple events...

For example, take someone shooting at the World Muzzle-Loading Championships. He's shooting four guns in five events...but four of those events are with original firearms (that means they are 150+ years old). So...

Flintlock pistol - #1 original (for competition), #2 original (backup), #1 replica (for training)
    Percussion target pistol - Same as flint pistol
    Repro revolver - #1 for competition, #2 for backup
    Original revolver (25 and 50 meters) - #1 for competition, #2 for backup. Use the repros for most training.

Total: 10 guns.

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Back to the OP...

If you're a serious competitor in the shooting sports, you wind up with at least one firearm per event. Usually two (to have a backup). Sometimes three (primary, backup, and second backup). And if you're shooting multiple events...

For example, take someone shooting at the World Muzzle-Loading Championships. He's shooting four guns in five events...but four of those events are with original firearms (that means they are 150+ years old). So...

Flintlock pistol - #1 original (for competition), #2 original (backup), #1 replica (for training)
    Percussion target pistol - Same as flint pistol
    Repro revolver - #1 for competition, #2 for backup
    Original revolver (25 and 50 meters) - #1 for competition, #2 for backup. Use the repros for most training.

Total: 10 guns.

Thanks. I’ve learned a lot from this discussion. You’d think I would have learned to keep the guns off of the boat. I’m going to miss them.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I don't NEED more than one gun. However, I will not discuss other legitimate reasons for having more than one gun or whether I have availed myself of any of those other reasons. ;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This wasn’t intended to be a “pick x” discussion as much as an attempt to learn what some of the reasons for variety are. I hadn’t really thought about competitive shooting but I can see how that would make the guns pile up quickly!

Competition ALONE is a lot of possiblities.

Steel Challenge - 1x .22 handgun, 1x Centerfire Handgun, 1x .22 rifle. All semi auto

CMP - 1x High Power military rifle.

Sniper shoots, a pre-1952 sniper rifle.

USPSA - Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun for 3 Gun. Possibly a different set for a different class of competition.

IDPA - 1x centerfire handgun. Possibly others.

Sporting Clays - 1x O/U or Semi Auto Shotgun, longer barrel than USPSA

Cowboy Action - 2x Single Action Revolvers, 1x shotgun, 1x rifle

Zoot Shooters (roaring 20s based competition) - 1x Semi auto pistol, 1x semi auto pistol caliber carbine

Long range shooting - Bolt action precision rifle.

And that is off the top of my head. And about the only multi use firearm could be the Centerfire Handgun for Steel and USPSA and maybe IDPA.

And let's not forget North South Skirmish Association. Civil War Era firearms, including mortars and cannons.

And there there is home defense and hunting.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    The term "assault rifle" is so misued and lied about it's pretty much become anything the person saying it wants it to mean. The truth is to be considered an assault rifle it has to meet five specific characteristics...absent any of these it simply doesn't qualify as an assault rifle.

1) It must be a Carbine.
    2) It must fire an intermediate cartridge such as 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 among others.
    3) It must be fed by a detachable magazine.
    4) It must fire by a locked breech.
    5) It must be select-fire.

Rifles such as the 1903 Springfield, M1 Garand, Mauser 98K, British SMLE, FN-FAL, M14 and others that fire full-power cartridges are Main Battle Rifles regardless of whether bolt-action, semi-auto or select-fire.

The M1 Carbine is not an assault rifle...an M2 Carbine is. Whether any of these have pistol grips, bayonet lugs, grenade launching ability or anything else is immaterial.

Stop it... you are making too much sense. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Beware the man with only one... coin?

Attachments

• 50.jpg
      50.jpg
      10.9 KB · Views: 284

Chris.S

Jun 24, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Competition

I have a weapon for everything you have mentioned, but I found myself participation in different style shooting comps. It's a lot of fun but there are so many categories i need more guns lol.

Steelteacher

Feb 19, 2020
    PG county
    Buy what you like to shoot. Shoot it. You’ll want to shoot other stuff- so learn and shoot and buy new guns as you learn. It’s all about your own preferences. Scratch your itch and have fun and be safe.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    It's kind of like chickens and eggs. I have more than one rifle because I have more than one type of ammo. Or was it the other way around?

Of course that before that freak boat accident when they all fell overboard.

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    Or even more important because you WANT to. :thumbsup:

I don't like that wording...because I can is a valid response...but I'm sensitive to "because I want;" it's also the reason that my hard-earned dollars pay for rent for a single mother with 3 baby-daddies who said "I want" an Acura.

I can afford several handguns so I had them...but I can also afford a boat, so...

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Sometimes it happens by accident. My “gun problem” started many years ago, initiated by my mental ex-girlfriend, Stacy. It went down like this:

Stacy: Happy anniversary, GnR.
    GnR: Stacy, we broke up two months ago.
    Stacy: Well, that doesn't mean we can't still go out.
    GnR: Well, it does, actually. That's what breaking up is.
    Stacy: Well, don't you want to open your present?
    GnR: If it's a severed head I'm going to be very upset.
    Stacy: Open it.
    GnR: (I unwrap it.) What is it?
    Stacy: It's a gun rack.
    GnR: A gun rack ... yeah, right! I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack?

The rest is a stormy history of tragic boating accidents … Shwing! :party29:

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Sometimes it happens by accident. My “gun problem” started many years ago, initiated by my mental ex-girlfriend, Stacy. It went down like this:

Stacy: Happy anniversary, GnR.
    GnR: Stacy, we broke up two months ago.
    Stacy: Well, that doesn't mean we can't still go out.
    GnR: Well, it does, actually. That's what breaking up is.
    Stacy: Well, don't you want to open your present?
    GnR: If it's a severed head I'm going to be very upset.
    Stacy: Open it.
    GnR: (I unwrap it.) What is it?
    Stacy: It's a gun rack.
    GnR: A gun rack ... yeah, right! I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack?

The rest is a stormy history of tragic boating accidents … Shwing! :party29:

Excellent!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I can buy as many as I want as long as I have less than my wife has shoes and boots combined.
    I have a LONG way to go.

Don't forget, in a Civil unrest, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse, foreign invasion, Power grid down for 2 months,
    Do you want to also arm all your family members? Good Friends? Neighbors?

Frostadams

Mar 31, 2016
    NO need, just enjoy having options for when friends want to get into sport. Like having golf clubs, short range, long range, tall short. Thankfully we don't have to demonstrate a need yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom