• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I must have planted 50 seeds in the wood lot and hedgerow, but haven't noticed any seedings trying to come up yet. I would assume the shoots get semi big leaves like the trees.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Love those paw paws, they have a short period in the woods when harvesting before the deer eat em all. Usually in Early September I’m foraging for them. My trees on my property still do not produce fruit.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Once they hit the ground they are ussually busted and bruised and have ants eating all over them. We normally grab the trees and shake them with one hand over your head. The ripe ones fall off.

Mako

MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2016
    ES of MD
    Are the Paw Paws ripening on the Potomac yet? I had my lone fruit drop last week on one of my Peterson varieties, thought it was a little premature or one of the kids knocked it off. Fortunately after a couple days in a brown bag with an apple it ripened up nicely and was absolutely delicious, need to get a few more this year before they are gone.

Had a good run yesterday at C&O Canal Lock 29. I'm guessing this coming weekend will be optimal in Central MD.

Attachments

• Paw.jpg
      Paw.jpg
      139.1 KB · Views: 251

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Unfortunately the storms stripped most of mine this year. For those that have them on property, they are pollinated by flies (the flowers have a rotten smell). So in the spring when they are blooming hang some fly attractant up in the branches... dead tree rats work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Anyone start looking for them yet? I think I might make a trip out this weekend and look and see if any are ready yet. I plan on making an entire stock pot of paw paw butter this year before I start hunting. I weed whacked the entire trail back on the farm last weekend and was too wore out to bother looking and shaking trees.

Give me time to eat all the left over deer I had not got to also. :rolleyes:

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Anyone start looking for them yet? I think I might make a trip out this weekend and look and see if any are ready yet. I plan on making an entire stock pot of paw paw butter this year before I start hunting. I weed whacked the entire trail back on the farm last weekend and was too wore out to bother looking and shaking trees.

Give me time to eat all the left over deer I had not got to also. :rolleyes:

I scored some down on the C&O trail north of Harpers Ferry on Friday. They were ripe and had yet to fall from the trees yet. It seems as though alot of the pawpaw trees were already dead though. I had to really hunt to find what i did.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I picked up 25 PawPaw seedlings from DNR this spring expecting only about 1/2 to survive. Every one of them are looking really good so far. Does anyone know how many years it takes for a PawPaw tree to begin bearing fruit?

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Probably in less than 5 years. Did you plant them in the woods or grass. I notice in the woods all the big paw paw trees have little ones that grow up from their roots.

Mako

MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2016
    ES of MD
    I picked up 25 PawPaw seedlings from DNR this spring expecting only about 1/2 to survive. Every one of them are looking really good so far. Does anyone know how many years it takes for a PawPaw tree to begin bearing fruit?

It can take awhile. I planted some seedlings about 6 years ago from Edible Landscaping, and this year was the bumper crop, the last couple of years were 4-6 pawpaw, but this year probably 50+ from one tree, the other 2 have since died and been replaced.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I went walking along the lower Susquehanna on Labor Day. Spotted paw paw fruit on a number of trees, however the fruit is still immature (small & hard). Quantities of fruit spotted are not as much as seen in some past years.

Tried shaking a couple trunks and nothing came down, and also no evidence of fallen/smushed/animal-eaten fruit on the ground. I normally would start looking for paw paw fruit in last September through October anyway, so for the lower Susquehanna paw paw season does not appear to have started yet.

How do you go about getting seedlings from DNR?

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Probably in less than 5 years. Did you plant them in the woods or grass. I notice in the woods all the big paw paw trees have little ones that grow up from their roots.

About half at the tree line edge so they get a fair amount of sun and the other half further into the woodline. The intention was to "stagger" their growth and production based on the sunlight.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    It can take awhile. I planted some seedlings about 6 years ago from Edible Landscaping, and this year was the bumper crop, the last couple of years were 4-6 pawpaw, but this year probably 50+ from one tree, the other 2 have since died and been replaced.

That's cool, thanks. I was thinking it might be much longer but 6 years is great for production from seedlings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom