• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Any resident experts or someone that knows about them? I've seen them that come back to their launch point... is that sop? Camera a must, would like one that uses a standard SD card. Remember.... KISS because I'm old and iggernant.

Talk to me Goose, I don't want to spend a ton, just want a good aerial view of my property.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There are cheap ones that are not too bad that only work with phone but I have a Mavic Pro that is going on 2 years old and it’s awesome. I don’t fly it much but my college age kid flys it for me.

I have a cheap one that I have not even tried and hooks to a phone for the camera.

I would not mind loaning it out. Even if it breaks would not be a big deal.

I live on Clarksville and Work in Elkridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amazmili

Aug 3, 2020
    Your best bet where you won't spent thousands and apply for certifications and all that crapola, look for a mavic mini. It is a dji brand, got the RTH ( RETURN TO HOME) FUNCTION, got a 2.7k resolution, ability to fly up to 20mins that i tested, others says more. The functionality is simple and easy.

Cons,
    Bad in windy climate. Wind is it bigger enemy beside birds, eagles. Hawks, goose, mallards, Bluejays you name it, itll attack it lol

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Birds actually attack?

Your best bet where you won't spent thousands and apply for certifications and all that crapola, look for a mavic mini. It is a dji brand, got the RTH ( RETURN TO HOME) FUNCTION, got a 2.7k resolution, ability to fly up to 20mins that i tested, others says more. The functionality is simple and easy.

Cons,
    Bad in windy climate. Wind is it bigger enemy beside birds, eagles. Hawks, goose, mallards, Bluejays you name it, itll attack it lol

I never knew that.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I just got a magic mini and love it. No registration required due to its weight. Ran it up to 300 feet in the back yard it took great pictures.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    As mentioned already, the DJI mavic line is a good choice. All with good cameras. Of course to more $$$, the better.

The MAVIC mini is the entry level, light at .55 pounds. The wind can push around, but it will stay on station, albeit, greatly tilted :) $400

The mavic air 2 is now the popular unit for non professional uses. $800

The pro is even a bigger unit with higher end cameras for the professional. $1500

There’s a lot of you tubes that review battery life, camera quality, speed, anti collision sensors, and the easy of flying.

DJI has a good app with a lot of pilot assistance and programmed maneuvers for video effects.

I just picked up an AIR 2 model, it flys really easy.

You do not need to register and drone .55# and lighter, but you still to check you flight area for no fly restriction. Any drone bigger needs an FAA account and registration number for $5. If you are going to make money with it, like sell photos, even video on a monetized YouTube channel, then you need the FAA part 107 certification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    As mentioned already, the DJI mavic line is a good choice. All with good cameras. Of course to more $$$, the better.

The MAVIC mini is the entry level, light at .55 pounds. The wind can push around, but it will stay on station, albeit, greatly tilted :) $400

The mavic air 2 is now the popular unit for non professional uses. $800

The pro is even a bigger unit with higher end cameras for the professional. $1500

There’s a lot of you tubes that review battery life, camera quality, speed, anti collision sensors, and the easy of flying.

DJI has a good app with a lot of pilot assistance and programmed maneuvers for video effects.

I just picked up an AIR 2 model, it flys really easy.

You do not need to register and drone .55# and lighter, but you still to check you flight area for no fly restriction. Any drone bigger needs an FAA account and registration number for $5. If you are going to make money with it, like sell photos, even video on a monetized YouTube channel, then you need the FAA part 107 certification.

this, bought a Mavic Pro almost 3 years ago, still awesome, still does all I need it to. Would reccomend the air or mini if you dodn't care as much about wind, speed or range. There is some BS with the FAA requiring registration for >250g drones, they came out with the requirement, it went away after getting challenged, then came back, it's a "requirement" but enforcement and compliance are pretty low. DJI drones are about as trouble free as they can be provided you take your time to set them up, get a good GPS lock, and be careful to double check things like return to home(RTH) height settings in case something goes wrong, you don't want a return to home altitude of 30' when surrounded by 50' tall trees. They do glitch, and it sucks having a grand worth of flying camera suddenly loose connection, fly off on it's own, not respond to controls, and so on, but it does happen. Most of the time it's user error, like flying too far downwind, or taking off soon as the GPS home point is set(if something goes wrong it will land in the worst possible spot within that large radius). I have had to rely on the RTH many times, and wouldn't spend much on a drone without it. Most any drone that doesn't have GPS will have really limited function, and your chances of losing it go up greatly. Most decent drones use a 2.4ghz and/ or 5.8ghz long range signal for control and video, they are very resistant to interference, and can give reliable control for several miles. Drones that are controlled from a phone or controller's wifi are toys with maybe 100' of glitchy range.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Sell you my DJI Spark fly more kit..

Just don't use like I thought I would or could in the BWI flight path.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I ordered a drone from China for about $200 and am waiting for delivery. Got the FAA certification. From what I understand, don't fly over 400 feet above the ground unless you are in a remote area. And keep away from airports and other aircraft. PS, don't try to fly in DC!

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    I ordered a drone from China for about $200 and am waiting for delivery. Got the FAA certification. From what I understand, don't fly over 400 feet above the ground unless you are in a remote area. And keep away from airports and other aircraft. PS, don't try to fly in DC!

400’ is a hard ceiling for unmanned flight, with certain exception like next to a tall structure, in which case you’re probably doing commercial inspections or something.

There’s a few apps that can help guide you from flying in restricted airspace.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    No air traffic here except for herons and local resident geese. I don't want to spend what I could buy a rifle for, just something cheap that doesn't work from a phone and low tech is what I want.... I know I'll wreck it, rather watch 100 dollars splash into the river or auger into the mountain than 500 dollars.
    I cannot use my phone on it.... no cell service other than my internet which won't work outside of 30 or 40 feet from house.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    So if you want to see your neighborhood...go to Google Earth. I prefer this.
    At least it requires skill to fly and build and ............there "AIN'T no gyros !!!
    AND, it will NOT fly back to me automatically. B-O-R-I-N-G !!!!

Attachments

• Pluma I.jpg
      Pluma I.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 240
    • Pluma II.jpg
      Pluma II.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 243

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    So if you want to see your neighborhood...go to Google Earth. I prefer this.
    At least it requires skill to fly and build and ............there "AIN'T no gyros !!!
    AND, it will NOT fly back to me automatically. B-O-R-I-N-G !!!!

No, I want to see my land NOW not 3 years ago. Does your bird have a camera?

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I've got a mavic air and that return to home function saved my butt once when I was flying at night. I was getting some cool night sky footage and then I realized I couldn't tell where I was or which way was up LOL. Got nervous for about a minute and then hit the RTH. As soon as it was hovering over my head and I could hear it again, I brought her down.

DJI makes the drones pretty dummy proof.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I've got a mavic air and that return to home function saved my butt once when I was flying at night. I was getting some cool night sky footage and then I realized I couldn't tell where I was or which way was up LOL. Got nervous for about a minute and then hit the RTH. As soon as it was hovering over my head and I could hear it again, I brought her down.

DJI makes the drones pretty dummy proof.

Dummy proof enough to avoid trees and the tons of cable, phone and electric lines running in my alley? Just how "smart" is it?

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Dummy proof enough to avoid trees and the tons of cable, phone and electric lines running in my alley? Just how "smart" is it?

Trees, yes. Phone and electric lines... you'd think I know considering the lines that run to my house in my backyard but I'd never had it even get close to them. When you're looking at models, you should be able to see which have sensors on the bodies for front, back, side, and top. And yes, collision avoidance is a thing.

The ONLY time I've crashed it from about 12' in teh air was when I flew it BEFORE letting it sync with GPS. It was 100% my mistake for not being patient and it started drifting until it hit a wall. Replaced the propellers (which I had purchased a dozen as spares) and back up and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom