• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have her call LD and demand to know why they are not abiding by the law as written. 30 days is what the law says for approval or denial.
    LD=License Division?

She's been calling someone but has gotten no answers. They are not even answering the phone. I'll see her today. Thanks DA.

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    Application submitted on 9/17.

Today, 10/1, all fields on the checklist are marked completed.

As today is the start of the new no-card policy, I'm curious to see how long it takes until it's active and I can view/print the letter. Shaving a week or so off the old wait time would be pretty great.

Edit 10/9/20: Went active this afternoon.

Last edited:

david0715

Sep 14, 2020
    Mine took 2 weeks. I submitted my application to MSP on Sept. 22 and was approved on Oct. 5.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Submitted 10-15-2020

Approved 10-21-2020

Able to print the “new” letter. I would guess at this point it’s active.

Now just waiting for CMP to call to get my 1911 and figuring out what to buy next.

Jdem2

Oct 14, 2020
    "Disallowed" but still pending???

Hey all, new here and this is my first comment/post.

Just moved back to MD from PA and took my HQL course and submitted my info on 10/14. I received TWO letters (10/16 and 10/19) from MD department of public safety saying that "no criminal history has been found" and the portal said everything but NICS and CJIS was completed by 10/20. Today 11/6 at 10:00am I got an email with a "disapproval" notice!

But, as of right now, 5:10pm on 11/6, the licensing portal STILL shows "Pending" with the NICS and and CJIS still showing as "Incomplete".

Two questions: 1. Has anyone ever been disallowed and then got approved on appeal? (Mailed the request for appeal today) 2. Wouldn't the portal have shown denied or disallowed prior to them sending me a letter saying denied?

I have passed NICS 5 times over the past 25 years while living in NJ which is pretty tight with handguns and have only a misdemeanor for disorderly persons in 1989.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? And thanks all in advance for your consideration!!!

JL

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Hey all, new here and this is my first comment/post.

Just moved back to MD from PA and took my HQL course and submitted my info on 10/14. I received TWO letters (10/16 and 10/19) from MD department of public safety saying that "no criminal history has been found" and the portal said everything but NICS and CJIS was completed by 10/20. Today 11/6 at 10:00am I got an email with a "disapproval" notice!

But, as of right now, 5:10pm on 11/6, the licensing portal STILL shows "Pending" with the NICS and and CJIS still showing as "Incomplete".

Two questions: 1. Has anyone ever been disallowed and then got approved on appeal? (Mailed the request for appeal today) 2. Wouldn't the portal have shown denied or disallowed prior to them sending me a letter saying denied?

I have passed NICS 5 times over the past 25 years while living in NJ which is pretty tight with handguns and have only a misdemeanor for disorderly persons in 1989.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? And thanks all in advance for your consideration!!!

JL

What is the basis for disapproval specifically?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk

ABN18F

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 30, 2020
    Applied on 10/13/2020, sent in copy of DD214, paid the $75 plus $60 for prints... as of 11/7/2020 application says "Pending".. Sad part.. 1) I already own several handguns purchased and registered in MD prior to the requirement, 2) had to do all the same stuff for an MD CC, submitted copies of my clearance information, background checks, finger prints, credit report... so MSP has the same info on me as my Federal Employer and my status is still "Pending". One would think as soon as they ran my name in their local database they would see I already have registered weapons, then when they ran the national/FBI database I come back clean.. this would be have almost an instant approval.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Applied on 10/13/2020, sent in copy of DD214, paid the $75 plus $60 for prints... as of 11/7/2020 application says "Pending".. Sad part.. 1) I already own several handguns purchased and registered in MD prior to the requirement, 2) had to do all the same stuff for an MD CC, submitted copies of my clearance information, background checks, finger prints, credit report... so MSP has the same info on me as my Federal Employer and my status is still "Pending". One would think as soon as they ran my name in their local database they would see I already have registered weapons, then when they ran the national/FBI database I come back clean.. this would be have almost an instant approval.

The error of attempting to connect MD handgun law and logic. There is no intersection.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Wait a minute, do you have your MD CC permit?

Jdem2

Oct 14, 2020
    What is the basis for disapproval specifically?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk

The letter only states pursuant to sections 5-117.1 and 5-133 (which I do not see how they apply to me). I have been trying to get clarification and have yet to receive a response.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My HQL application has a blank for "Second Review Complete" everything else shows completed. Is this something they need from me or something MDSP is doing?

MSP is doing it, you don't need to do anything.

Jump on over to the Introductions forum and give us an intro and high five or elbow bump, whatever

FrozenTundra

Oct 16, 2020
    Application and Livescan completed on 10/16/2020 and status is "Active" effective yesterday (11/10/2020) but did not reflect until either late last night or this morning. Under a month! I did the TX Hunter Education process to exempt from the training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom