• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    I'm on the bay. All that water, and none to drink. SHTF, I'll run out of water before ammo if we stay home. Trade fresh rockfish for cases of water.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    We're on city water and one the top of a hill with no natural water source. We can collect and store rain water off of the roof, but it's metal roof painted with aluminized paint. Any way to check what's in it or filter it out?

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alan3413 View Post
    Can also put together a solar still. Just needs a clear plastic sheet
    and you can piss in it for bonus water

I know what you are talking about, my brother 'educated' me on this and
    it sounds disgusting. Its a way to get water when you are in the desert.

You dig a hole, you crap in it, piss in it. Put moisture things in there.
    Wiggle a cup in the very center of the poo poo.
    You rig a plastic sheet over the hole, put a rock in the center. Plastic dips a bit.
    The sun comes out, the evaporation goes onto the underside of the plastic,
    drops of moisture form, it all drips down to the low area - the rock over the cup.
    So then that water is basically distilled - and is drinkable!!
    ENJOY!!

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I know what you are talking about, my brother 'educated' me on this and
    it sounds disgusting. Its a way to get water when you are in the desert.

You dig a hole, you crap in it, piss in it. Put moisture things in there.
    Wiggle a cup in the very center of the poo poo.
    You rig a plastic sheet over the hole, put a rock in the center. Plastic dips a bit.
    The sun comes out, the evaporation goes onto the underside of the plastic,
    drops of moisture form, it all drips down to the low area - the rock over the cup.
    So then that water is basically distilled - and is drinkable!!
    ENJOY!!

Yes, that's basically it, although the book I read said pee but I suppose anything with moisture (poo, dead enemies) will do.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I'll just
    - NOT get stuck in the desert:lol2:
    -empty all household sources
    -use my Waterboy
    -steal if I need to
    -tap into some water lines for residuals
    -refill my 55 gal drums when possible with rainwater;

as best as those strategies work. Approaching 70; not going to kill myself trying to stay alive at this age in a worst case SHTF scenario

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Propur Vs. Burkey

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these gravity fed water filters and need some help deciding. Assuming replacing filter once every year. We'd be using this for drinking water (2 adults), cooking, coffee and beer making (about 72 gallons per year)

Propur:
    * initial cost: $369
    * filter replacement after 1 year: $146
    * slightly taller
    * 3 gallon capacity
    * 5 year warranty
    * steel spigot included

Berkey
    * initial cost: $389 (with steel spigot and fluoride filter)
    * filter replacement after 1 year: $218
    * slightly smaller (better for us)
    * 2.25 gallon capacity
    * lifetime warranty

Over the long term the Propur wins out due to cost of filters. I'm assuming they both perform equally as far as filtering goes. It's really hard to get honest data on the internet as each "study" seems to be funded by the company. I'm seeing review videos on YouTube that report both perform good enough to filter lake water.

Am I missing anything here or does anyone have another opinion?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these gravity fed water filters and need some help deciding. Assuming replacing filter once every year. We'd be using this for drinking water (2 adults), cooking, coffee and beer making (about 72 gallons per year)

Propur:
    * initial cost: $369
    * filter replacement after 1 year: $146
    * slightly taller
    * 3 gallon capacity
    * 5 year warranty
    * steel spigot included

Berkey
    * initial cost: $389 (with steel spigot and fluoride filter)
    * filter replacement after 1 year: $218
    * slightly smaller (better for us)
    * 2.25 gallon capacity
    * lifetime warranty

Over the long term the Propur wins out due to cost of filters. I'm assuming they both perform equally as far as filtering goes. It's really hard to get honest data on the internet as each "study" seems to be funded by the company. I'm seeing review videos on YouTube that report both perform good enough to filter lake water.

Am I missing anything here or does anyone have another opinion?

A quick look, the Propur stuff is only NSF certified to remove taste and odor issues, it is not certified to remove health hazards.

I have seen this with a number of companies in the water treatment business. They either claim they meet the NSF standards, but are not NSF certified. If you meet the standards, why not get your product certified.

Or they meet one standard, and imply that they meet others standards.

Also, a strange wording, they say they meet NSF 24 (taste and odor removal), but only for "material requirements only." So I am not sure that they have actually tested and certified the PERFORMANCE to NSF standards.

I did not look at the other one.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I have a handful of Aquatainer jugs that have been holding municipal water for the last 7-10 years, and I'm curious if the water therein remains potable. I used to rotate the jugs fairly often, but a combination of laziness and life getting in the way have brought me here. The containers themselves were sanitized with several ounces of regular chlorine bleach, which was left in the jug prior to filling. The jugs have been stored in climate controlled basement in a fairly dark area the entire time.

I'd like to have the water tested by a professional who can give me hard data and hopefully explain what the numbers mean. For what should I have the water tested? My limited research suggests that testing for bacteria, nitrates/nitrites, pH, and turbidity would be sufficient, but I freely admit that I don't know the first thing about water quality.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a handful of Aquatainer jugs that have been holding municipal water for the last 7-10 years, and I'm curious if the water therein remains potable. I used to rotate the jugs fairly often, but a combination of laziness and life getting in the way have brought me here. The containers themselves were sanitized with several ounces of regular chlorine bleach, which was left in the jug prior to filling. The jugs have been stored in climate controlled basement in a fairly dark area the entire time.

I'd like to have the water tested by a professional who can give me hard data and hopefully explain what the numbers mean. For what should I have the water tested? My limited research suggests that testing for bacteria, nitrates/nitrites, pH, and turbidity would be sufficient, but I freely admit that I don't know the first thing about water quality.

Testing for bacteria would be sufficient. The only other concern could be lechates from the plastic, but that is extremely unlikely unless aquatainer lied about what the plastic is made of. It’s HDPE, which doesn’t leach anything at room temperature.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Testing for bacteria would be sufficient. The only other concern could be lechates from the plastic, but that is extremely unlikely unless aquatainer lied about what the plastic is made of. It’s HDPE, which doesn’t leach anything at room temperature.

Thanks for this. Certainly sounds reasonable. A company near me wants $130 for bacteria ($85 of this is a "collection fee" :sad20: ), or $140 for all of the tests named in my prior post. Sounds pretty damn high for just draining some water out of the Aquatainer. I could just drive the damn thing there.

Update: This company will allow me to take my own samples, thereby making this endeavor a bit more viable.

Last edited:

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Thanks for this. Certainly sounds reasonable. A company near me wants $130 for bacteria ($85 of this is a "collection fee" :sad20: ), or $140 for all of the tests named in my prior post. Sounds pretty damn high for just draining some water out of the Aquatainer. I could just drive the damn thing there.

Why not just dump them out and start over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom