• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I went down to the creek and one tree had a few fall over and man it was good. Most trees have some maybe ready next week and smaller ones that are not ready for two weeks maybe. I think next weekend might be the first small good harvest. Might have to hunt, harvest paw paws and clean up.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    I think I might plant a few when I get the underbrush on top of the hill tamed (winter project). When is the best time to plant those things?

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    They were just starting to fall and a few here and there. The best ones are on the ground and you can lightly shake a tree and she might give you an extra. Shake hard and you’ll get unripe ones.

I got half a bucket and processed out to about 4 15 oz cups and one about half full. I still got paw paw butter and it’ll last years. So making inserts for my daughter to make paw paw ice cream.

Next weekend might be better and some paw paws are small this year. Maybe from the drought?

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpeg
      IMG_1980.jpeg
      423.1 KB · Views: 50
    • 71606649329__2E0CCD80-C117-4767-87FD-0592C9284024.jpeg
      71606649329__2E0CCD80-C117-4767-87FD-0592C9284024.jpeg
      230.1 KB · Views: 47

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    weird year for paw paws and it must be because of the drought. I went to my normal patch and got half a bucket again. The fruits were bigger this week, but most all the fruits on that grove are done with nothing left. Two other groves are not even dropping fruit yet but do not seem to have as many as they should.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Few on ground, full of ants, all on trees still too hard. Two I took a pic of last week still hard.

So....

Picked a dozen that came off trees easy, figured they were closer to ripe than the ones that put up a fight.

Thought I'd try to ripen at home, despite hearing they won't.

Quick google recommended putting them in a paper bag with ripe/ over ripe bananas and they'll ripen.

Appears to be working!

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    The black ones that look rotten on the ground are the best tasting ones. The ones the ants are in rinse them in water and push them out. Don’t let the significant other see or they won’t eat them

The ones you shake off the tree have white flesh and lacking in taste. The darker before brown and rotting is the best flavor. Light orange to orange color is what you want. Brown sections ditch to the compost pile with the seeds as they as past due

live2hunt72

May 17, 2012
    Missed my chances to get some this year, and had some plans in different things to try making with them. Can’t wait until jext year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom