• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kinetic

MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    Can't tell you how many times I have heard "Why do you need more / don't you have enough ammo????"

"But Honey, that .421 Grundlach grade 5 magnum bolt action your dearly departed Dad gratefully bequeathed to me is running low on ammo that is now nominally considered obsolescent.

I couldn't bear to have such a fine heirloom from your side of the family sit in the safe emasculated due to lack of food."

"Well....if you put it that way."

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yup. Now, I don’t know if the laws of those places actually prohibit on line sales, formerly prohibited on line sales, or what. Could be, as someone said, a mistake (or old knowledge) by the seller. But even if they are using bad info, that still could be why a company asks for ID before shipping.

Those two locations have local ordinances (laws) against ammo sales. One reason for the Atlantic Guns store in Rockville, as County ordinances do not apply in incorporated cities.

MD state later passed a law that preempts local ordinances, but those old ordinances are still on the books.

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Montgomery County's law on ammo is still on the books, but has been held invalid by court.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=amlegal:montgomeryco_md_mc

Then go to “Montgomery County Code”, Part II. Local Laws, Chapter 57, Section 57-12

Sec. 57-12. Sale of fixed ammunition. (at the bottom of the section is the following note)
    Editor’s note--The above section was held to be invalid by the Court of Appeals in Montgomery County, Maryland, et al. v. Atlantic Guns, Inc., et al., 302 Md. 540, 489 A.2d 1114 (1985). The above section is interpreted in Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission v. Elgin, 53 Md.App. 452, 454 A.2d 408 (1983).

franklinstein

NRA Life Member
    Mar 6, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    MD Ammo Shipments

Thanks for clarifying the misinformation. I thought I had missed something. I've never had issues with this previously, despite living in MoCo. If someone is requiring your DL or refusing to ship, simply find a willing seller online who knows what the actual law is. There are plenty who are still reasoanbly priced.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Montgomery County's law on ammo is still on the books, but has been held invalid by court.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=amlegal:montgomeryco_md_mc

Then go to “Montgomery County Code”, Part II. Local Laws, Chapter 57, Section 57-12

Sec. 57-12. Sale of fixed ammunition. (at the bottom of the section is the following note)
    Editor’s note--The above section was held to be invalid by the Court of Appeals in Montgomery County, Maryland, et al. v. Atlantic Guns, Inc., et al., 302 Md. 540, 489 A.2d 1114 (1985). The above section is interpreted in Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission v. Elgin, 53 Md.App. 452, 454 A.2d 408 (1983).

Thanks for the citation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom