• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Seriously. You can buy the bags on line. Fill them if and when needed. It’ll take a minute but you can leave it normal...til it’s not. Oughta be able to get them for a buck apiece or so. They have black, olive, dirt colored. Or you can get white or Highway orange. They don’t like sunshine over long amounts of time...thus just in time is not bad. There’s plenty of options online for making filing them a little less onerous.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah. Wondering what caliber it would take to penetrate it. I don't know how thick it is. Probably .30 or higher

I doubt the bigger residential tanks are any heavier gauge than a 20lb tank. M2 AP will punch through both sides.

Pretty sure a .223 or .308 at modest range (100yds or so) would also be able to penetrate the walls of the tank.

500 gallon tanks run .312-.281". It isn't RHA, its mild steel.

.223 will go through that like butter at "safe" distances.

Probably just let all the propane out. Tracers or incendiary rounds would likely do more than just let all the propane out.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Yeah. Wondering what caliber it would take to penetrate it. I don't know how thick it is. Probably .30 or higher

We did a hillbilly experiment at a MDS shoot at DelMarVa a bunch of years ago. Someone brought a tank of some sort, can't remember what it was....scuba, or other. At any rate it was a substantial piece of metal.

Shot it at 100 yards with a 5.56 out of a 16" AR - tank said :tongue01: - no damage other than a little ding.

Shot it with a 7.62 NATO out of my FAL - and it went through one side and rattled around.

Broke out the Garand with some GI Issue 1967 ball ammo and it went through both sides of the tank like it wasn't there.

Anecdotal and unscientific, but that was what we found.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Bug out??? Hells to the No's.

I just got the Phalanx mounted up on the roof and the rest of the CIWS up and running.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Even if the tank doesn’t KABOOM, if it does penetrate, there goes a source of heating/cooking. Hopefully you have a reliable backup.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A little different story. We hanged up a motorcycle in a tree and shot the tank with tracers expecting a Hollywood style BLAMMO! All it did was piss fire. :o

For commercial propane tanks, if you want to render them useless, you gotta shoot the valve off, let a cloud appear, then run a couple tracers through the cloud.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A little different story. We hanged up a motorcycle in a tree and shot the tank with tracers expecting a Hollywood style BLAMMO! All it did was piss fire. :o

For commercial propane tanks, if you want to render them useless, you gotta shoot the valve off, let a cloud appear, then run a couple tracers through the cloud.

Did that bike happen to be a MOTAUR? :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I doubt the bigger residential tanks are any heavier gauge than a 20lb tank. M2 AP will punch through both sides.

Pretty sure a .223 or .308 at modest range (100yds or so) would also be able to penetrate the walls of the tank.

500 gallon tanks run .312-.281". It isn't RHA, its mild steel.

.223 will go through that like butter at "safe" distances.

Probably just let all the propane out. Tracers or incendiary rounds would likely do more than just let all the propane out.

At 50 - 75 yards, .223 and .308 will EASILY punch through 3/8" plate.

Years ago I made some swingers. Great fun with pistols. Did not swing with rifle. Rounds went through so cleanly, they did not transfer enough energy to move the plate.

Hansum

Feb 14, 2019
    Bug out??? Hells to the No's.

I just got the Phalanx mounted up on the roof and the rest of the CIWS up and running.

I'm sure someone has a CRAM at their cabin somewhere. What a deterrent.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Sure, but I doubt you want that volcano of flame a tracer is likely to make in the side of the tank. It might not explode, but it is under a lot of pressure and is going to be probably a several dozen yard jet of flame until the tank finally empties.

That said, incendiary is probably much more likely to actually ignite propane compared to a tracer. Either way, you no fuel for heat.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A .30 caliber tracer is probably capable of piercing a tank and igniting it. It may not pass thru due to the lighter core where the tracer fuel is, but a single hole would probably be sufficient. The hole might simply make a fountain/jet flame because there is no oxygen inside the tank, only fuel.

Must have been a pretty hot day when they shot the tank, to be over 200psi as they said, the liquid inside the tank would have to be over 110°

To see what flaming welding gas cylinders look like, Google Russian welding supply truck accident. Look for the longer video, I like the part where the cop decides he is too close and backs his ass out of there.

ETA: I shot some 3/8 plate with 5.56 and 7.62x39 and both almost passed thru, I guess it depends on the particular round and the particular steel

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom