• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    My wife just got her Peleton delivered today to fight the Corona lockdown no gym open. Question is the bike comes with LOOK style pedals. My bike shoes are SPD style and was wondering if anyone knew of SPD to LOOK style adapters. I see some going the other way but really do not feel like buying shoes as might not like this thing since only riding I do is mtb.

Know a random question but the knowledge here always amazes me.

Cheers

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    There are adapters, but the issue will be that they're permanently attached to your shoes. Unfortunately, I've never seen a good solution that quickly changes.

There are inserts to the pedals which turn them into flat pedals, if that's any better.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    I don’t know if any adapters but are you able to swap out the look pedals for SPD? I know some cheaper SPD style pedals can be found in the $25 range. Not the answer your looking for but still cheaper than a new pair of shoes

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    What size and brand of mtb shoes do you like? I bet we could find you a similar road shoe on sale somewhere for cheap.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yeah, of course the wife had to get new shoes with this, so some nice peloton branded shoes. So if wanted to switch the pedals was have to get new pedals, then the adapters for her shoes. She would shoot me for monkeying around with her new pride and joy.

Current shoes are Bontrager Inform. Older but really like them, size 13.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You wouldn't have to get adapters for her shoes. Just different cleats. Those are like $15.
    I'd convert the whole shebang to SPD and never look back (see what I did there? I actually have a set of Look mtb pedals in a box downstairs)

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, of course the wife had to get new shoes with this, so some nice peloton branded shoes. So if wanted to switch the pedals was have to get new pedals, then the adapters for her shoes. She would shoot me for monkeying around with her new pride and joy.

Current shoes are Bontrager Inform. Older but really like them, size 13.

You can get the low rent Shimano SH-RP1 shoe for ~$65.

I bought the previous equivalent model years ago and they are still going strong 20K miles later.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    You can get the low rent Shimano SH-RP1 shoe for ~$65.

I bought the previous equivalent model years ago and they are still going strong 20K miles later.

This. Shimano shoes fit damn near everyone, and they're high quality. Those, plus an extra set of cleats, and don't look back.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Could not find my size in those Shimano’s in my size not on back order. Ended up getting Bontrager Starvos on sale which was almost same price.

Thanks guys will let you know how like them and Peloton. Have never taken spin classes but seems like good workout.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    probably easier to buy cheap spd pedals for the peloton

****Pretty much this. If she bought the Peloton shoes, I think they have SPD hookups on the bottom, making converting them a snap. Many SPD shoes that are more "walkable" and have a rubber sole like a regular shoe, but with a cutout for the cleat, don't have enough space or the proper drilling to put a Look type cleat on. Most dedicated road shoes have both option available.

If she is the primary rider of the Peloton, consider keeping the Look pedals, and buy the appropriate shoe for yourself (the OP..not Travis..) to mount a Look cleat system. The Look pedals on the Peloton are pretty nice, and offer a really nice platform for riding using a technology that's been around since perhaps the mid to late 1980's. Very few serious road riders use SPD's on their road bike, even though they work great off-road due to mud shedding and ease of engagement due to not having to fiddle with flipping a pedal as much to clip in.

Whatever you decide, make sure everything is aligned properly to help prevent knee or other orhopedic issues riding the bike.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Could not find my size in those Shimano’s in my size not on back order. Ended up getting Bontrager Starvos on sale which was almost same price.

Thanks guys will let you know how like them and Peloton. Have never taken spin classes but seems like good workout.

Indoor is an adventure. I am more of a Zwift guy, but it is the same deal on Peloton, I expect. Get your fan and towel ready because it is going to be a workout. :thumbsup:

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Looking forward to it honestly. My one mtb reliable buddy recently moved back to MI so have not put a ton of miles on for past year. Been doing HIT workouts at the gym but that is closed so looking forward to a new adventure. Never was hop on a treadmill for too long guy so hopeful this will hold my attention.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Looking forward to it honestly. My one mtb reliable buddy recently moved back to MI so have not put a ton of miles on for past year. Been doing HIT workouts at the gym but that is closed so looking forward to a new adventure. Never was hop on a treadmill for too long guy so hopeful this will hold my attention.

TBH I prefer indoors. You never get a flat. You do not have to drive anywhere to ride. Weather or daylight is a non issue. You will get a really good cardio workout in an hour, no coasting. Also you are riding to a power meter, which is a no BS monitor of your effort.

I think you are going to like it. :thumbsup:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I joined the Peleton cult today. Wife got it a few weeks ago but my shoes just came. I’m gonna give it a spin tonight with a Natty light riding through Zealand

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    It is a cult ! Had been really doing great until poison ivy ruined my streak. Lost 20+ lbs and was feeling great. Got a crazy poison ivy outbreak that was on legs, hips and closing in on groin and had to call it till this stuff goes away. Hopefully be back at it by next week.

Enjoy and Kendal is the best !

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    It is a cult ! Had been really doing great until poison ivy ruined my streak. Lost 20+ lbs and was feeling great. Got a crazy poison ivy outbreak that was on legs, hips and closing in on groin and had to call it till this stuff goes away. Hopefully be back at it by next week.

Enjoy and Kendal is the best !

Lololololol i think I’m gonna pass on Kendal. I am interested in the scenic rides.

I will say this about Peleton though. My wife ordered 3 weeks ago, they just dropped the bike price yesterday and they sent her an email refunding her the difference without her having to ask. The Peleton delivery guys were awesome and vets. Plus she got the first responder discount so all the accessories were free.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I mean she is nice on the eyes don’t get me wrong, however from a pure motivational instructor she is the best. That is what I was referring to, wife was giving me a hard time, convinced her to do a couple of her rides and now she is hooked as well. Just something about he classes that keeps you engaged and pushes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom