• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    So I have from family camping days of yore an old two burner camping stove and dual mantle lamp that I want to bring back to life. Neither have been used in 45+- years.

My first question is related to fuel. White gas only or are there some alternatives these days?

My second question is more broad. How should I resurrect them? I imagine new pump innards would be needed. What about pre-fire up general cleaning? Alternative to the uber fragile mantels?

Thanks in advance and be safe.

Mark

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    White gas is the right fuel.
    I have done this and just I took the pump apart and lubricated it. I made a new gasket for the cap and it worked. Maybe I was lucky but there really is not much to them

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    There’s an actual Antique and Vintage Coleman Lantern and Stove group on Facebook. If you have an account, I’m sure they can certainly help you out.
    I buy old lanterns when I see them cheap. They’ve helped me out in the past.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Empty any remaining fuel, fill with white gas, then dump that out to get anything else that's floating in there out. You can buy new pumps from Coleman but the old ones work better. They sell leather gasket rebuild kits online. Mantles are the same as always. I'd take it all apart and clean it real good just for looks. I have some Coleman stoves and lanterns that are from the 70s and I use them every time we go camping.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I've done the same. You'll need a new cap or gasket, new pump seal/leather, and you'll need to open and clean the tube the gas exists from. I believe that I used carburetor cleaner.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Ok, I've heard of white gas since I was a kid, but really have no idea what it is. Is it the same as kerosene?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Ok, I've heard of white gas since I was a kid, but really have no idea what it is. Is it the same as kerosene?

I was told back in the day it was unleaded gas and knew people who used that instead of the really expensive cans in the outdoor stores :shrug:

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I was told back in the day it was unleaded gas and knew people who used that instead of the really expensive cans in the outdoor stores :shrug:

White gas is a catch all term for ultra clean/refined petroleum product, I've heard it called naptha as well. It's stable longer and burns cleaner than regular gas. However the Coleman stoves are dual fuel and you can use unleaded in them, it's just dirtier and not as consistent flame.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Can of Coleman fuel is cheap compared to a trip to the ER. I would not use unleaded gas in it.

Personally I would just leave it retired and buy a new single stove if this is for a once in awhile camping trip. If going multiple times a season, then I might restore.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    White gas is a common name for a number of flammable substances:

1. As a generic term for camp stove and lantern fuel, its most popular current usage, also called Naphtha, 100% Light Hydro Treated Distillate, or Coleman fuel[1]

2. Pure gasoline (without additives), commonly used when leaded gasoline was the norm to prevent fouling in situations where the properties of the lead additive were not required
    Un-dyed gasoline

3. White gas should not be confused with white spirit, which is more akin to kerosene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Thanks gents, white gas it is. Thought about getting a new dual fuel one but first I have too much "stuff" as it is and second I love the nostalgia of what I have. GREAT times camping with Mom, Dad and my brother. Usually went to Canada. Piled a bunch of stuff into the '72 Ford Country Squire, opened a lower 48 + Canada Road Atlas, saw a campground that was near to a body of water and rolled. Fun, fun, fun.

Cheers,

Mark

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I love these old stoves but would use propane (camping) or butane (boat lighter than air so gas stays out of the bilge) for convenience. These types are also much lighter to hump into the woods. W/ gas no pumping, flareup, spillage issues, or other maintenance required.

For SHTF situations, what is not to love about Coleman stoves/lanterns provided you can obtain unleaded gas. Propane and Butane might be harder to get in a SHTF situation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Way back in the day, Amoco hi test was the ONLY unleaded gas , and the intended fuel .

By the '70s , Coleman Fuel ( Naptha )was the default intended fuel . Those intended for Naptha Or Unleaded Gasoline were marketed as " Dual Fuel " A Coleman anything marked " Tripple Fuel " was Naptha Or Unleaded,Or Kerosene

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Well almost a year later and I'm back on this. Before I head to Wallyworld, anybody have white fuel collecting dust in their shed or garage. I certainly do not mind paying for it, just figured I'd ask and give my dollars to you rather than the Waltons. I'm in Colesville FWIW and willing to travel a little ways.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    We camped out a lot in the 60's when I was a kid. I remember dad going to Amoco to get white gas for the Coleman stove and lanterns.

I've been fooling around repairing old stoves and lanterns lately. An article I read stated gasoline with ethanol left a lot of deposits in the generator and would soon gum up the works but gasoline without the alcohol was ok to use.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    A can of white gas will last you a long time. While car gas doesn't contain benzene these days, there is still plenty of stuff in there that you don't want around your food or in the air you breathe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom